Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 944 - Still chasing the problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:03 AM
guytranspo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 944 - Still chasing the problem

I posted earlier that, occasionally, I am having an issue with a rough idle and white smoke at start up.
The car also died while driving at one point.
Other than that, the car runs great.

I've checked just about everything, but nothing seems to help.

Yesterday, however, a strange thing happened that might give a clue that someone might recognize.
The car started with the rough idle. I let it go and opened the hood. I remember reading somewhere that a voltage or pressure issue at the injectors could be a problem. With this in mind, I unplugged the #1 injector plug, and the car smoothed out. Of course, it wasn't perfect, as it was running on 3 cylinders, but there was a noticeable change in the idle. I plugged in the injector, and the idle was normal.
Does this make any sense to anyone?

By the way, the car started normally today and drove great on a 20 minute ride.

This issue is driving me nuts.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by guytranspo
I posted earlier that, occasionally, I am having an issue with a rough idle and white smoke at start up.
The car also died while driving at one point.
Other than that, the car runs great.

I've checked just about everything, but nothing seems to help.

Yesterday, however, a strange thing happened that might give a clue that someone might recognize.
The car started with the rough idle. I let it go and opened the hood. I remember reading somewhere that a voltage or pressure issue at the injectors could be a problem. With this in mind, I unplugged the #1 injector plug, and the car smoothed out. Of course, it wasn't perfect, as it was running on 3 cylinders, but there was a noticeable change in the idle. I plugged in the injector, and the idle was normal.
Does this make any sense to anyone?

By the way, the car started normally today and drove great on a 20 minute ride.

This issue is driving me nuts.

Thanks
All 4 injectors plus simultaneously eventhough the electrical schematic would try to convince otherwise. By disconnecting 1 injector, the electric current draw was reduced allowing the remaining 3 injectors to pulse at their proper duration. I do not remember if you sent the injectors for cleaning and testing to an injector service such as SouthBay.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

pulse duration is controlled by the DME, not by circuit overall current.
the way these injectors work is a big surge of current to open the "valve" and then it drops off to a lower amount to hold it open as long as needed.

whats your idle speed set at?
how old is the O2 sensor?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 AM
max_boost951
Racer

Still have the original injector harness? They get brittle and Broken wiring under the boot may have been the issue and moving it around caused a better connection on injector one
Old 01-12-2019, 03:00 PM
guytranspo
Track Day

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
All 4 injectors plus simultaneously eventhough the electrical schematic would try to convince otherwise. By disconnecting 1 injector, the electric current draw was reduced allowing the remaining 3 injectors to pulse at their proper duration. I do not remember if you sent the injectors for cleaning and testing to an injector service such as SouthBay.
Thanks for the input. The crazy thing is that it doesn't act like this regularly. It's very intermittent. I guess it could be a faulty, and not failed, injector.
I have not sent my injectors in. That will, likely, be my next move.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:01 PM
guytranspo
Track Day

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
pulse duration is controlled by the DME, not by circuit overall current.
the way these injectors work is a big surge of current to open the "valve" and then it drops off to a lower amount to hold it open as long as needed.

whats your idle speed set at?
how old is the O2 sensor?
Thanks for the response.
The idle, after warm, is around 900.
The O2 sensor is about 5 years old.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:05 PM
guytranspo
Track Day

Originally Posted by max_boost951
Still have the original injector harness? They get brittle and Broken wiring under the boot may have been the issue and moving it around caused a better connection on injector one
Thanks for the response.
It is the original harness.
I guess the harness could be brittle. The curious thing is that the idle got better when #1 was disconnected. Maybe a short could cause this.
I will definitely check it out.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:43 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Is your coolant level dropping? Sounds like classic head gasket issue.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:19 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response.
The idle, after warm, is around 900.
The O2 sensor is about 5 years old.
The pulse duration is controlled by the DME but if there is increase in electrical resistance in the fuel injector wiring, the voltage drops at the injector coil solenoids and the internal valves does not open fully, ie less fuel injected. Sorry for not being clearer.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM
guytranspo
Track Day

The pulse duration is controlled by the DME but if there is increase in electrical resistance in the fuel injector wiring, the voltage drops at the injector coil solenoids and the internal valves does not open fully, ie less fuel injected. Sorry for not being clearer.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:14 PM
guytranspo
Track Day

Would the resistance in the wiring be caused by a faulty injector, or defect in the wiring itself?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2019, 07:34 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Would the resistance in the wiring be caused by a faulty injector, or defect in the wiring itself?

Thanks
Good question. To verify, check the resistance of each injector, if all the same, then proceed with the wiring.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:00 PM
guytranspo
Track Day

Good question. To verify, check the resistance of each injector, if all the same, then proceed with the wiring.
The injectors resistance is right at 2.8 ohms each.
I'm not sure what the resistance of the wiring should be.

Also, not sure if you have any knowledge of this, but I rechecked for vacuum leaks today and found that there is a bit of a leak at the throttle body shaft. There is also a leak from the plug on the idle control valve. Is this something that I should be worried about?

I drove the car again today. It started right up, idled fine, and ran perfectly.

It's really starting to drive me crazy.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

The injectors resistance is right at 2.8 ohms each.
I'm not sure what the resistance of the wiring should be.

Also, not sure if you have any knowledge of this, but I rechecked for vacuum leaks today and found that there is a bit of a leak at the throttle body shaft. There is also a leak from the plug on the idle control valve. Is this something that I should be worried about?

I drove the car again today. It started right up, idled fine, and ran perfectly.

It's really starting to drive me crazy.

Thanks again for your input.
Ohm reading for injectors is spot on. In my situation with no start and then OK start, the bottom line was the injectors fired OK and then did not fire OK. I had the injectors cleaned and flow tested. Test before and after showed lower flow rate before cleaning and flow rate at spec after cleaning. Southbay Fuel Injector Service did the cleaning and testing

Quick Reply: 1984 944 - Still chasing the problem