Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 944 - Still chasing it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:04 PM
guytranspo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 944 - Still chasing it.

I posted earlier that, occasionally, I am having an issue with a rough idle and white smoke at start up.
The car also died while driving at one point.
Other than that, the car runs great.

I've checked just about everything, but nothing seems to help.

Yesterday, however, a strange thing happened that might give a clue that someone might recognize.
The car started with the rough idle. I let it go and opened the hood. I remember reading somewhere that a voltage or pressure issue at the injectors could be a problem. With this in mind, I unplugged the #1 injector plug, and the car smoothed out. Of course, it wasn't perfect, as it was running on 3 cylinders, but there was a noticeable change in the idle. I plugged in the injector, and the idle was normal.
Does this make any sense to anyone?

By the way, the car started normally today and drove great on a 20 minute ride.

This issue is driving me nuts.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

White smoke at startup indicates water in the exhaust, which would be normal, since it condenses and water is burned off. CONTINUED white smoke is another issue, which would indicate water in a combustion chamber. If you pull the plugs and one appears to have a pristine white insulator, that sounds like a head gasket which can be confirmed with a compression and blow-down tests...If your oil looks like a milkshake, it may be getting water in the system by the oil/water cooler on the passenger side of the engine near the front exhaust manifold. this is cause by a leaking gasket or o-rings. If this is the case and it persists, #2 bearing or others may fail in short order...I would suggest that you inspect the idle air bypass valve. It should be open on startup and close gradually. If it is stuck shut, that may give you fouled plugs and rough idle. Hope this helps some.

Quick Reply: 1984 944 - Still chasing it.