Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 944s do these struts fit? 944-343-031-032-12

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 PM
jwolfe
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What 944s do these struts fit? 944-343-031-032-12

944-343-031-032-12

I’ve researched and Am still unsure these will fit my 86 NA. I just wanted to confirm before purchasing. The owner claims they came from a 87 s2 and will fit. I googled the parts number and one place says it fits and the other doesn’t. Also, this model strut has the screw cap, so I’ll be able to replace the cartridge if need be correct?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by jwolfe; 01-11-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 134 Posts

According to PET, those part numbers are for Fichtel & Sachs front struts left and right for up to 1986 MY. PET shows Konis as 944.343.031.11 and 032.11. So, short answer is yes, bigger question is why Koni housings have F&S part numbers on them. Yes, you can put new inserts in those. Should replace the dust sleeves and probably the bump stops as well.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:13 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Those sure look like early struts so they should fit an 86na. Can you post a picture of the top of the strut mounts just to confirm? Also, the distance between the spindle bolt holes should be 58mm and the gap 20mm, later ones were 63mm and 18mm respectively. They are definitely NOT from an 87 and definitely NOT from an S2 as the seller claims. If they were 87 or S2 struts they would NOT fit your 86. They have the screw gland for the inserts so you can replace them easily without using the cut and drill method like you have to with later 87+ struts.

I suspect these were originally Boge/Sachs struts that someone painted yellow and stuck a Koni decal on. They may have Koni inserts inside in which case they can be adjusted from the top.

Last edited by MAGK944; 01-11-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM
jwolfe
Advanced

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Those sure look like early struts so they should fit an 86. Can you post a picture of the top of the strut mounts just to confirm? They are definitely NOT from an 87 and definitely NOT from an S2 as the seller claims. If they were 87 or S2 struts they would NOT fit your 86. They have the screw gland for the inserts so you can replace them easily without using the cut and drill method like you have to with later 87+ struts.
here you go.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:44 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Mmmm, something is not quite right with those struts. The actual strut housings are from an early car but the top mounts are from a later car. Those mounts won’t fit an early car, well to be accurate, you can make them fit but the bearing will be at the wrong angle for an early offset car and will likely cause issues or fail prematurely.

btw, I edited my first post just as you posted, sorry bout that I was just further clarifying.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Will you please accurately measure this distance center to center?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 PM
jwolfe
Advanced

Mmmm, something is not quite right with those struts. The actual strut housings are from an early car but the top mounts are from a later car. Those mounts won’t fit an early car, well to be accurate, you can make them fit but the bearing will be at the wrong angle for an early offset car and will likely cause issues or fail prematurely.

btw, I edited my first post just as you posted, sorry bout that I was just further clarifying.
after the first response on this thread it got me thinking maybe it was painted over if the serial number reads Sachs. After the top mount not matching I think that’s enough of a reason to maybe stay away from these. Hmm
Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 PM
jwolfe
Advanced

Will you please accurately measure this distance center to center?

These struts are not in my possession. It’s from an online listing
Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Ok, well that measurement was just a sanity check anyway, I’m 99% certain those are early Boge/Sachs strut housings and the stamped part number confirms that too. Also, like I said, I’m quite sure someone replaced the original inserts with adjustable Koni inserts and then painted the housings yellow and affixed the Koni decal, you get those decals when you buy Koni inserts and I can see the Koni adjuster at the top, stock Boge/Sachs don’t have an adjuster. The top mount is however the wrong type for your car.

As the seller says they came off an 87 or S2 (it’s one or the other as there was no 87 S2) then I think what happened is that someone rebuilt and painted these early strut housings and fitted them to their later car. This can be done with an “adapter” on the spindle mount and it would explain why they have the later strut top mounts.

So what does this mean to you? Well the housings are correct and will bolt up to your 86na spindles just fine. You will have single adjustable Koni’s which is a plus. You will have to remove the top mounts and fit yours instead, an easy and quick job but you’ll need to use spring compressors and take appropriate care with them. Btw the early strut top mounts like on your 86na are easily and cheaply rebuildable, the later ones that are on those struts are not rebuildable and are very expensive. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 PM
jwolfe
Advanced

Ok, well that measurement was just a sanity check anyway, I’m 99% certain those are early Boge/Sachs strut housings and the stamped part number confirms that too. Also, like I said, I’m quite sure someone replaced the original inserts with adjustable Koni inserts and then painted the housings yellow and affixed the Koni decal, you get those decals when you buy Koni inserts and I can see the Koni adjuster at the top, stock Boge/Sachs don’t have an adjuster. The top mount is however the wrong type for your car.

As the seller says they came off an 87 or S2 (it’s one or the other as there was no 87 S2) then I think what happened is that someone rebuilt and painted these early strut housings and fitted them to their later car. This can be done with an “adapter” on the spindle mount and it would explain why they have the later strut top mounts.

So what does this mean to you? Well the housings are correct and will bolt up to your 86na spindles just fine. You will have single adjustable Koni’s which is a plus. You will have to remove the top mounts and fit yours instead, an easy and quick job but you’ll need to use spring compressors and take appropriate care with them. Btw the early strut top mounts like on your 86na are easily and cheaply rebuildable, the later ones that are on those struts are not rebuildable and are very expensive. Good luck!

with this info info I will try and get a lower price. The inserts are what I’m buying, the housing is nice as I can replace inserts easier, and I can use my existing top mounts.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Agree with MAGK944, they will work fine with your 86. I'm not sure about your comment saying that the inserts are what you're buying. If this is online, and you are saying you want just the inserts that are in these, you don't really have any idea what condition they are in. You would likely be much better off just buying new inserts for your existing housings and not worrying about these at all.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:14 AM
jwolfe
Advanced

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Agree with MAGK944, they will work fine with your 86. I'm not sure about your comment saying that the inserts are what you're buying. If this is online, and you are saying you want just the inserts that are in these, you don't really have any idea what condition they are in. You would likely be much better off just buying new inserts for your existing housings and not worrying about these at all.
I just meant with the new information I’m essentially just buying the strut inserts since the rest is stock/not correct fit. It’s still a good enough price I might be able to snag a steal. If not, I’ll probably just buy new as I cannot find a deal anywhere for 2 front Konis
Old 01-12-2019, 02:07 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jwolfe

I just meant with the new information I’m essentially just buying the strut inserts since the rest is stock/not correct fit. It’s still a good enough price I might be able to snag a steal. If not, I’ll probably just buy new as I cannot find a deal anywhere for 2 front Konis
Ah, OK. Just FYI, on my 87, the one of the front struts started leaking (OEM Konis from the factory), and instead of the cut and insert, the sealed units were sent back to Koni, who repaired back to new for 50% of the price of replacement struts. I would imagine that the inserts could also be rebuilt by Koni as well.

Quick Reply: What 944s do these struts fit? 944-343-031-032-12