Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#2 cylinder not firing 944S2

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:51 PM
camelman
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I have a question. When you started the post you said the #2 cylinder was 180 psi. The latest compression showed it at 130. What has changed? Was the lifter on cylinder #2 making a knocking noise when you noticed this problem? Usually when I've had a faulty lifter, it was very noisy. If it wasn't making a lot of noise, then I'm wondering if it might be a bad valve or something else in the cylinder like a bad ring, cylinder head gasket, bad seal around spark plug, etc.
I think the difference came from the hydraulic tappet working, and then not working. The engine had operated with cyl #2 intermittently firing before, which was noticeable as a power surge when the cylinder fired. There was a very loud tapping when that occurred, but there’s no noticeable tapping now. I’m going to pull the valve cover to access the hydraulic tapoet, at which point I’ll inspect for any other damage.

I’ll run a leak-down test before before pulling the valve cover though.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camelman
As the title says, I’m down a cylinder. Compression shows 180psi on cyl #2, the #2 plug fires fine with a strong spark, I cleaned all injectors and all four spray well (I even swapped injectors between cylinders), and I see 12V on each lead for the #2&3 injectors. However, there’s no fuel in cyl #2 even after running the engine.

I think there’s an issue with firing the injector, but I’m not sure what. How does the injector firing work? Does one of the injector leads get grounded to complete the circuit?

Thanks,
Camelman
If you have spark,and you say all four injectors spray well then air and compression are the other keys to successful combustion. So...possible air flow issues on #2 or your original compression check of 130lbs on #2 is correct. If it is then valve, head issues ( or head gasket) is the next step to check. It'll run with a frozen lifer,not good but the nose will stay there until you fix it. A burnt or bent valve would run bad and not clear up. The cam(s) could be worn out and or rings,bore etc. Look at each system independently to isolate any issues
Old 01-13-2019, 08:20 PM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

As the title says, I’m down a cylinder. Compression shows 180psi on cyl #2, the #2 plug fires fine with a strong spark, I cleaned all injectors and all four spray well (I even swapped injectors between cylinders), and I see 12V on each lead for the #2&3 injectors. However, there’s no fuel in cyl #2 even after running the engine.

I think there’s an issue with firing the injector, but I’m not sure what. How does the injector firing work? Does one of the injector leads get grounded to complete the circuit?

Thanks,
Camelman
Surely there would be a wet plug if the injector was working, even with low compression/bent valve etc
Old 01-13-2019, 10:34 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How does the injector firing work? Does one of the injector leads get grounded to complete the circuit?
Not sure this question got answered; as far as I know the S2 uses a batch fire injection design, so all the injectors fire at once.

There's a good discussion of the various firing methods here: https://members.rennlist.com/951_rac...atchFiring.pdf

Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the difference came from the hydraulic tappet working, and then not working. The engine had operated with cyl #2 intermittently firing before, which was noticeable as a power surge when the cylinder fired. There was a very loud tapping when that occurred, but there’s no noticeable tapping now.
From what I understand, that's a classic symptom of hydraulic tappet failure? A weak or broken spring? Perhaps a blocked oil gallery?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
From what I understand, that's a classic symptom of hydraulic tappet failure? A weak or broken spring? Perhaps a blocked oil gallery?
I didnt think something like this could happen. How does a tappet fail? Spring breaks? Is this common on S2? Or 944 in general? What would the cause be? This issue sort of makes me want to park my car and not drive it so much. I have driven 924/944 Porsches for 30 years without any sign of “tappet issues”. Is it due to running engine with low oil?? I never have run low so just wondering the cause if anyone knows.

Sorry to take this thread sideways. If it was my S2. It would be towed to the nearest mechanic for some immediate help before I caused myself 3000.00 more in damage to it. Just throwing that out there.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:12 PM
camelman
Racer

Otto, thanks for the info.

Stevie, a failed tappet is not uncommon, nor a failure of its cousin, the "lifter", in pushrod engines. A failure isn't a huge problem as far as damage is concerned, but will cause operational issues such as reduced power output. The hydraulic tappet is a robust unit that has an internal oil gallery that gets "pumped up" to expand the tappet to the correct height. Oil doesn't flow quickly through the unit, so there's a chance for sludge to build up in it. With enough sludge, the intake hole can get blocked, or the adjustment portion can get stuck, and then the tappet won't be pumped up to be tall enough to fill the space between the valve and the camshaft. That creates a situation where the camshaft will slap into the hydraulic tappet instead of maintaining a constant contact with it. Since the hydraulic tappet/lifter is pretty robust, it can take a lot of this slapping, but you'll want to fix it soon. The best way to remedy this is to DRIVE YOUR CAR!!! Seriously, drive that sucker, change the oil when it's time, and maybe run a cleaner through the oil every so often. I consider hydraulic lifters/tappets to be wear items, so I'm not bothered with having to change mine. I just wish I didn't have to.

Camelman
Old 01-14-2019, 10:09 PM
aussie944cab
Instructor

I'm a bit confused, Can not anyone else see the Elephant in the room, THERE IS NO FUEL GETTING TO NO.2 CYLINDER, This has to be the priority regardless of poor compression,
To answer a previous question, the S2 "batch fires" the injectors, you could mock up some jumper leads and have no.1 injector plug diverted to no.2 and visa versa, that way if the misfire goes to no.1 you know it's the wiring either, ballast resistor I mention earlier, Wiring in harness where it joins the 4 injectors to the one output from the DME, or possibly the injector plug,
Good news is, it is not the DME
Old 01-14-2019, 10:50 PM
camelman
Racer

Aussie, I don’t think it’s a fuel delivery issue after all. Sorry for not clearing that up.

The inconsistent compression numbers had me chasing my tail at first. I’m still not 100% on what’s going on, but the injectors are firing, spark plugs are firing, and compression is low. I am going to do a leak down test, and also investigate the hydraulic tappet that had been giving me fits earlier.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 PM
aussie944cab
Instructor

When it does run, does it smoke, I think you may have a scored bore
Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Otto, thanks for the info.

Stevie, a failed tappet is not uncommon, nor a failure of its cousin, the "lifter", in pushrod engines. A failure isn't a huge problem as far as damage is concerned, but will cause operational issues such as reduced power output. The hydraulic tappet is a robust unit that has an internal oil gallery that gets "pumped up" to expand the tappet to the correct height. Oil doesn't flow quickly through the unit, so there's a chance for sludge to build up in it. With enough sludge, the intake hole can get blocked, or the adjustment portion can get stuck, and then the tappet won't be pumped up to be tall enough to fill the space between the valve and the camshaft. That creates a situation where the camshaft will slap into the hydraulic tappet instead of maintaining a constant contact with it. Since the hydraulic tappet/lifter is pretty robust, it can take a lot of this slapping, but you'll want to fix it soon. The best way to remedy this is to DRIVE YOUR CAR!!! Seriously, drive that sucker, change the oil when it's time, and maybe run a cleaner through the oil every so often. I consider hydraulic lifters/tappets to be wear items, so I'm not bothered with having to change mine. I just wish I didn't have to.

Camelman
It sounds like you're on top of your engine troubles,so good luck. And tappet,lifter, I've heard each referred to as the other my whole life. Most people understand what you're saying when you refer one as the other.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:22 AM
camelman
Racer

I pulled the valve cover and checked cam lobe to lifter clearances with feeler gauges tonight. I also rotated the crank pulley as necessary to unload the valve springs. None of the lifters allowed even a .0015” feeler to pass. Can anyone confirm if what I did is a legit way to test the lifters? Do I need to pull the lifters out to see the undersides to verify if they are collapsed? I also pushed on the #2 cylinder lifters to see if they’d budge, but they were firm.

I’ll get a leak down tester to test everything this weekend.

I don’t feel confident with my feeler gauge test for the lifters.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:08 AM
camelman
Racer

I pulled the head and everything looks good. 7/16 lifters were soft though, so I’m thinking it’s time to clean them all.

Will install all new rubber seals in the head and valve cover along with new bolts. The big question is if I send the head off for new valve guides, etc by Lindsey Racing (or other), or just clean it and reassemble. I had to drill out some cam cover bolts, so will definitely need a cleaning. A full refresh will be about $1600 including shipping to Lindsey.

A refresh would include new valve guides and seals.

Car has 167k miles.

Camelman

Last edited by camelman; 03-19-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW all those compression numbers seem low, with #2 obviously having the biggest issue. MY S2 was around 205-210psi across all four cylinders the last time I checked it. Might be a good idea to have the whole thing refreshed at this point.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:18 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

It's impossible to comment on OP's compression numbers without knowing the altitude where the test was performed.
For each 1000 feet, air density has a .2 affect on CR.

Statically, the swept volume from BDC to TDC, expecting all valves closed precisely at that degree, coupled with the negative cc area of the combustion chamber should yield 10.9:1 CR or 160.23 psi at sea level.

Because valve events are included in spinning an engine over, this is called dynamic compression ratio, and it's always less than the mathematical static compression because the seat time of the valve are in play.

An engine could achieve more than 10.9:1 X 14.7 (psi atmospheric at sea level) with 100+% VE or re-compression of residual gas not cleared on previous cycle.

Or a faulty gauge

T

Quick Reply: #2 cylinder not firing 944S2