Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaks under hatch rubber seal

Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 PM
maint
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaks under hatch rubber seal

I've been slowly working at stopping the leaks in my 87 924S. Had to change out the hatch, the seal, the hatch hinge gaskets, and seal the screws for the spoiler. I resealed the tail lights when it was painted, and also repaired the gas filler rubber. Seemed like I got it all but yesterday I parked in a different spot, nose slightly down, and found a new leak. The water is running along the hatch seals until near the seam for the rear section (a few inches away from the lock pins). At this spot the metal lip is pretty well horizontal and water is just going under the seals u-channel and running inside. Both sides look the same. Is the metal in this spot supposed to be that flat or should it be bent up to help direct the waster away or at least towards the pin drains? Should you seal the hatch seal rubber to the flange with some butyl caulk?

Old 01-06-2019, 11:12 PM
maint
Instructor

I have been searching the web for an answer to what is causing the leaks. I still have two suspects; The flange the seal clips to and the seal itself.
I found a pic (from 944foot to the floor) of the same area by the hatch and it does look to be bent in more of an 'up' direction than mine is.

Also the seal profile shown on 944Only is different than the one on my car. I'm not sure where it came from but it appears to be a generic seal. As the water streams in when the car is at the correct angle, I'm going to order a new seal and see if that stops it. If not I'll try and find someone local with a 944 or 924 and see if the lip for the hatch seal has been bent for some reason

Seal from only944

My seal is more like this
Old 01-06-2019, 11:25 PM
911lnv87
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

944only aka Kyle is the way to go, fanatastic products and service. You really can not go wrong.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:34 AM
maint
Instructor

Appears the seal was the problem. Rained a couple of times with the car parked on the angle that caused the floods and no water inside yet. Surprising how much extra length of seal had to be worked into position.
I did have to lengthen the hatch pins a couple of turns to get the hatch to lock properly ( and might be too tight still). Also, maybe because of the repeated opening/closing, one of the "clasps" on Left side jammed and I had to slightly loosen that side latch to free it up. Why does one thing ALWAYS lead to another?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:32 PM
Ryan968
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maint
Appears the seal was the problem. Rained a couple of times with the car parked on the angle that caused the floods and no water inside yet. Surprising how much extra length of seal had to be worked into position.
I did have to lengthen the hatch pins a couple of turns to get the hatch to lock properly ( and might be too tight still). Also, maybe because of the repeated opening/closing, one of the "clasps" on Left side jammed and I had to slightly loosen that side latch to free it up. Why does one thing ALWAYS lead to another?
I hear you there. I replaced my worn out hatch seal w/ a one piece, worked great and would've taken care of the problem, except I didn't readjust the pins... Now my glass is separated and water can get in at the top lol. Add that to the list. Oh well, was probably about to go with a few more shuts either way!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaks under hatch rubber seal