Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 06:00 PM
enginkap
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Housing

I have just posted this on the model specific forum as well...

I want to retrofit A/C to my non A/C (obviously ) 1990 944 S2.

I do not see different options for A/C and non-AC housing in the PET. Does anybody know whether the A/C housing is the same on A/C and non-A/C cars?

PET info:
The outer housing is made up of 3 parts:
Left: 944 572 121 01
Right: 944 572 122 01
Lower: 944 572 135 01

Any help is hugely appreciated.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

All I can say is that I'm flabbergasted that S2 was shipped without AC.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Are you absolutely certain it didn’t have ac at one time? Maybe a po removed the components (lines, dryer, compressor and condenser) from the engine bay for some reason and fitted an ac delete bracket, quite easy to do and would look factory. I’m only saying that because you need to pray that the evaporator is still there as trying to fit one of those is impossible without removing the complete dash. I am convinced that they started with the evaporator on the production line and built the rest of the car around it

Old 01-04-2019, 01:14 AM
enginkap
AutoX

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Are you absolutely certain it didn’t have ac at one time? Maybe a po removed the components (lines, dryer, compressor and condenser) from the engine bay for some reason and fitted an ac delete bracket, quite easy to do and would look factory. I’m only saying that because you need to pray that the evaporator is still there as trying to fit one of those is impossible without removing the complete dash. I am convinced that they started with the evaporator on the production line and built the rest of the car around it

Absolutely sure, as the VIN does not show option 559 or 573 Air Conditioner, but only 424 Automatic Heating Control. However, I am hopimg that the car came with the same housing and perhaps with the evaporator as well. Is there a way to see it without removing the whole dash?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:24 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by enginkap

Absolutely sure, as the VIN does not show option 559 or 573 Air Conditioner, but only 424 Automatic Heating Control. However, I am hopimg that the car came with the same housing and perhaps with the evaporator as well. Is there a way to see it without removing the whole dash?
None of my cars have option codes 559 or 573 listed yet they all have air conditioning. Afaik S2’s all came standard with AC so it would not be listed as an option, but having said that maybe you could order one without AC and that’s why you have code 424 listed as an option, idk for sure just an educated guess, PCNA would confirm for sure.

I doubt very much they would fit an evaporator if your car was not optioned with AC, however you should be able to see the two pipes that extend from the evaporator if you peak under the dash in the passenger side. If they are present they are likely blocked off as the metal pipes leading through the firewall which they connect to are not obviously there.

Last edited by MAGK944; 01-04-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I too am skeptical that an S2 did not come with A/C. Have you verified, in the car, that those parts are not present?

I couldn't visualize what an A/C housing would look like. Thank you for providing the P/Ns. They are 38, 39 and 40 in the attached image. I thought I might be able to help, but all I have are the pipes and condenser that I took off my car. Free to anyone that wants to pay for shipping...

In the odd chance your car does not have it: https://www.ebay.com/p/Very-Original...3135813&chn=ps
Old 01-04-2019, 02:10 PM
enginkap
AutoX

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I too am skeptical that an S2 did not come with A/C. Have you verified, in the car, that those parts are not present?

I couldn't visualize what an A/C housing would look like. Thank you for providing the P/Ns. They are 38, 39 and 40 in the attached image. I thought I might be able to help, but all I have are the pipes and condenser that I took off my car. Free to anyone that wants to pay for shipping...

In the odd chance your car does not have it: https://www.ebay.com/p/Very-Original...3135813&chn=ps
Thanks a lot for the replies. It surely looks like it never had an A/C. The car is in Istanbul, Turkey. Unlike US, many cars came without A/C here. Also, some of the hints are that the alternator bracket is original non-A/C version, the condenser, compressor, evaporator, piping, etc., are all missing, control panel on dashboard is non A/C version.

I will certainly be very happy to take the pipes and the condenser. I am enquiring about importing them into Turkey. If that pans out, I plan to provide you with a US address and ask a friend to forward it to me. Hope that will be OK. I can do a bank transfer for shipping costs.
Will let you know as soon as I get an answer, probably by Monday.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Very interesting. Was the car built for the Turkish market?

Let me know on the parts.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:05 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by enginkap
...The car is in Istanbul, Turkey. Unlike US, many cars came without A/C here...
Ah ha! There you go. I’ve seen S2’s in Europe without AC, I came across two in England without it last year so I’d say quite common outside the US (where it was a standard option).

If you need any later (86 on) parts I have a ton of AC stuff stripped from a couple of track cars.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:27 AM
enginkap
AutoX

Originally Posted by MAGK944
If you need any later (86 on) parts I have a ton of AC stuff stripped from a couple of track cars.
Fantastic! Thanks!
I am still trying to sort out shipping and customs. Will let you know if I can take (some of) them.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:30 AM
enginkap
AutoX

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Very interesting. Was the car built for the Turkish market?

Let me know on the parts.
Thank you Scott. The car is a standart European version I believe. There were no cars built specific to the Turkish market. There are very few 944's and even less S2's in Turkey.

Quick Reply: A/C Housing