Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powered Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:23 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Powered Subwoofer

Has anyone put a powered subwoofer in their car, and if so, where did you locate it?

I got a Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer and I'm going to put it in along with a Conti TR7412UB-OR head unit.

Just wondering if anyone else has done something similar and where they mounted the sub and how they routed the wires. I'm almost wondering if it can be mounted to the back of the board in the passenger foot well although I haven't pulled the board out to see what kind of room is back there.

I don't think there is enough space under the passenger seat, although there may be just enough...
Old 01-01-2019, 09:23 PM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed a Focal iBus https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foca...notice-bus.pdf under the glovebox, still plenty of room for feet
Old 01-01-2019, 11:20 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie944cab
I installed a Focal iBus https://www.focal.com/sites/www.foca...notice-bus.pdf under the glovebox, still plenty of room for feet
I just checked the fit, and that's an awesome idea. How did you mount it? Did you drill holes through the bottom of the glovebox?
Old 01-02-2019, 01:22 AM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashman
I just checked the fit, and that's an awesome idea. How did you mount it? Did you drill holes through the bottom of the glovebox?
Mine's RHD, so probably different, I removed glovebox, bent mounting tabs so they locate on the metal rail(which the glovebox door mounts to), the back i just made up a pivot using a Metal bracket, I did have it secured at the back with cable ties for quite a while.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:43 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Aussie, do you have any photos of your install please?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:04 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My SP80 Nakamichi subs from the 90's

Custom made enclosures that fit nicely in the cubby areas. Kenwood KRC-980 cassette stereo (still have my tapes with all the 80 classics). Nak crossovers hiding in the glovebox

Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 171 Posts

Man up.... lose your spare

and your rear seat

Of course, this is my 15 year old's 924S
Old 01-04-2019, 10:07 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Old school JL subs in custom rear seat delete enclosure (not mine just sharing).

Old 01-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Uh. Not to offend, but for those who obviously can't read read very well, the subject was "powered subwoofer", not "show us your fugly big-*** early 90's over-testosteroned speaker setup".

For those who aren't into 32" subs and speaker boxes the size of a dorm fridge, I was able to mount the Kenwood KSC-SW11 as ausssi944cab suggested, under the glovebox. Thanks for that suggestion, aussie. Great spot, and perfect fit.

The way I worked it was to get a piece of 16 gauge sheet steel from the local hardware store, used a grinder to cut it to 11" x 10.5". I also cut a small 1" x 3" notch out of the back end to get around some ductwork back there. Then I was able to fashion a small bracket to hook over the bottom of the back glovebox support out of some spare sheet metal I had around. Then I used the 3 screw points for the glovebox door as attachment points for the front of the plate. I just bought some 20mm long 5mm x 0.8 screws at the hardware store so they were the same diameter and thread as the originals but longer and used them to screw through the plate, through the glovebox hinge, and into the mounting holes. Mounted the sub to the plate and it worked a treat.

I now have a Conti TR7412UB-OR head unit and a Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer, and I have to say that it sounds amazing compared to the "disco" stereo that the P.O. had installed. What a difference for a day's work. Success!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:39 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 171 Posts

Uh. Not to offend, but for those who obviously can't read read very well, the subject was "powered subwoofer", not "show us your fugly big-*** early 90's over-testosteroned speaker setup".
Ha ha... I'm not offended

I now have a Conti TR7412UB-OR head unit and a Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer, and I have to say that it sounds amazing compared to the "disco" stereo that the P.O. had installed. What a difference for a day's work. Success!
Glad it worked out. Of course, you need to show everyone a pic or two
Old 01-06-2019, 09:56 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Uh. Not to offend, but for those who obviously can't read read very well, the subject was "powered subwoofer", not "show us your fugly big-*** early 90's over-testosteroned speaker setup"...
Im not offended either, mildly amused maybe, oh and I can read fine thank you, afaik those 90’s speakers were “powered” by a separate amp.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 AM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

I'm glad I didn't offend anyone earlier, and I sincerely didn't mean to. It's a bit of a weird pet-peeve with me. I curse the sky whenever I"m on Amazon reading questions about a product and someone asks, "Does this work on WIndows 10" and someone answers back, "I don't know. I use a Mac." WHY? THE? F*CK? DID? YOU? ANSWER? THEN? YOU DIDN'T HELP AT ALL! Not exactly the same situation here, but it triggered my gut reaction response. I'll try to be better in the future, but no guarantees. :-)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I did try to take pictures of the sub in place, but there isn't enough room in there for my phone to take a pic with a wide enough frame. If everyone is really that interested though, I can take it back out with the removal of 8 screws and take some pictures of the plate with bracket, sub mounted on plate, etc.

In the meantime, here are some pics of the Conti head unit installed.

Continental TR7412UB-OR installed in a late model 944.

Continental TR7412UB-OR in a late model 944.

BTW, one pro tip for everyone. One thing I did do is isolate the plate from the surrounding surfaces by using the fuzzy size of some self-stick velcro. That's a tip I got from some guys in the airline industry. They use the stuff often when they know they'll have two metal surfaces that might come in contact. That way any vibrations won't cause squeaking when the parts rub.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

That Conti doesn’t look out of place in a 944, I thought it would be too modern but imo it looks almost as good as the Porsche Classic unit for a lot cheaper, good job!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

I did manage to get a picture of the install in-situ. I may have time this weekend to dismantle everything and take some more images, or to at least remove the glovebox to take a shot of the "clip" I fashioned on the back to hang the mounting plate.

This is an image of the sub mounted on the plate and the plate in place under the glovebox. You can see the steel plate with the three screws that use the same mounting holes as the glove box door.

Kenwood powered subwoofer installed under the dash in a LHD 1986 N.A. 944.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Ryan968
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an image of the sub mounted on the plate and the plate in place under the glovebox. You can see the steel plate with the three screws that use the same mounting holes as the glove box door.

Kenwood powered subwoofer installed under the dash in a LHD 1986 N.A. 944.
Clever install, and nice way to get a little extra bass!

I decided to go bigger but no dual 15" in the hatch or anything. Plan is to put a single 8" in the spare tire well under the carpet, trying to keep everything looking clean too.

Side cubby

Quick Reply: Powered Subwoofer