Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 944 Trunk Latch wont close (rain water?) - I need immediate help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:09 PM
jwolfe
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '86 944 Trunk Latch wont close (rain water?) - I need immediate help

My trunk latch has been working just fine since owning my 944 for about a month, but just an hour ago during heavy rain i opened it to put away groceries and all the water that was sitting on the top ran off backwards right into where the bottom of the trunk struts meets the wire connections. Now I'm not sure if those connections or something underneath are what control the latch but it does not shut and lock at all anymore. The teeth that engage and hold the pegs in place don't move.

I live in the city so this is a real issue because now my trunk cant lock shut and I street park. For now I took off one side of my struts so the weight of the trunk keeps it "closed" but this is not good.

Any immediate solution to lock it again until I can fix the problem/take it to a shop would be amazing.. Did the water actually do this or is it something else?

Here is an image of the area im talking about. Water was running off on both sides right into the area, so stupid/annoying!

Thanks!
Justin

Old 12-31-2018, 11:46 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It's hard to tell from the picture but it appears the seal around the hatch on the body may be twisted out of it's channel and not getting a good seal. Secondly, hold the hatch open and see if you can twist it laterally to confirm the hinges aren't loose. If they are, the hatch latch pins won't align with the latches and you can't close and lock the hatch and your hatch will leak when it rains. They tighten with allen wrenches but you have to remove the interior panel that covers them for access. Good luck and enjoy the car.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 PM
jwolfe
Advanced

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
It's hard to tell from the picture but it appears the seal around the hatch on the body may be twisted out of it's channel and not getting a good seal. Secondly, hold the hatch open and see if you can twist it laterally to confirm the hinges aren't loose. If they are, the hatch latch pins won't align with the latches and you can't close and lock the hatch and your hatch will leak when it rains. They tighten with allen wrenches but you have to remove the interior panel that covers them for access. Good luck and enjoy the car.
sorry, the picture isnt of my car, simply a quick reference for the area i was mentioning. also, the cars seals are just fine, no leaking issues when its closed.. what im referring to is that when i open the trunk and after or during rain, water runs off. it runs off right into that corner area where electrical could be. thats not what im trying to fix, its just the way the car is shaped and the way water runs off because thats the lowest point on the trunk when open. i hope im making sense.

I want to know is there anything electrical that could have been damaged by the water on either side of the trunk behind the carpet
Old 01-01-2019, 02:15 AM
944Time
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jwolfe
I want to know is there anything electrical that could have been damaged by the water on either side of the trunk behind the carpet

Well, on the driver's side there is the sunroof motor. But that won't be hurt by a little water.
No electrical stuff on passenger side.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:16 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It is possible you now have a short there at that connection, it has grounded out and caused the lock to remain open.

Something similar happened at the electrical switch ( a loose wire got pinched between the switch assy. and the metal frame it's mounted), shorted and would cause the hatch to open randomly while driving, on an '84 I own. Once the wire grounded, it would open the hatch and this at the most inopportune time. A Porsche tech found the issue under a warranty check, when he suggested my switch was bad.... it ended up being a chafed wire.

I would check that connector and dry it thoroughly, maybe with a hair dryer, then when closing the hatch, place both hands over the rubber spoiler DIRECTLY over the two locking pins and lightly slam shut very gently. Put some dielectric grease on the connection after cleaning and drying it. If this does not work, and you need to keep it closed overnight, place something weighted on the area between glass and spoiler in that little valley. A filled water jug ? Or two ? Whatever it takes to keep it closed. You don't want wind to propel it open and water to soak the hatch carpet or you will then have mold issues to deal with in the future.

I would also insert your key into the hatch lock and wiggle it back and forth, centering it in the lock until it seems 'locked'; it's possible your lock is worn and the keyed portion has allowed it to remain open. Lastly, check to make sure your switch to remotely open isn't bad or shorted.
Best wishes.....
Old 01-01-2019, 09:21 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Concerning the water, check the small drain holes in the spoiler. Water shouldn't pool against it and pour into the car when you open the lid, maybe they are clogged.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:01 PM
jwolfe
Advanced

Originally Posted by 944Time
Well, on the driver's side there is the sunroof motor. But that won't be hurt by a little water.
No electrical stuff on passenger side.
Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
It is possible you now have a short there at that connection, it has grounded out and caused the lock to remain open.

Something similar happened at the electrical switch ( a loose wire got pinched between the switch assy. and the metal frame it's mounted), shorted and would cause the hatch to open randomly while driving, on an '84 I own. Once the wire grounded, it would open the hatch and this at the most inopportune time. A Porsche tech found the issue under a warranty check, when he suggested my switch was bad.... it ended up being a chafed wire.

I would check that connector and dry it thoroughly, maybe with a hair dryer, then when closing the hatch, place both hands over the rubber spoiler DIRECTLY over the two locking pins and lightly slam shut very gently. Put some dielectric grease on the connection after cleaning and drying it. If this does not work, and you need to keep it closed overnight, place something weighted on the area between glass and spoiler in that little valley. A filled water jug ? Or two ? Whatever it takes to keep it closed. You don't want wind to propel it open and water to soak the hatch carpet or you will then have mold issues to deal with in the future.

I would also insert your key into the hatch lock and wiggle it back and forth, centering it in the lock until it seems 'locked'; it's possible your lock is worn and the keyed portion has allowed it to remain open. Lastly, check to make sure your switch to remotely open isn't bad or shorted.
Best wishes.....
Originally Posted by jhowell371
Concerning the water, check the small drain holes in the spoiler. Water shouldn't pool against it and pour into the car when you open the lid, maybe they are clogged.
Thanks for all the feedback. Today I went out to trouble shoot and sure enough the trunk was locked again and works fine. Im not sure what the reason was for last night but I'll closely monitor and see if it acts up again. I have disconnected one of the struts as I bought 2 new ones a few weeks ago. Maybe the pressure finally adjusted it out of wack. So for now I'll just run 1.

Thanks guys
Old 01-01-2019, 10:04 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not run one strut, that will torque the hatch, doing so you are asking for it to break.
Get the new struts on there, they only take a few min to change out. just find something to prop the hatch open with so they are fully extended. Or get a helper to hold the hatch up.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:25 PM
jwolfe
Advanced

Originally Posted by lamrith
Do not run one strut, that will torque the hatch, doing so you are asking for it to break.
Get the new struts on there, they only take a few min to change out. just find something to prop the hatch open with so they are fully extended. Or get a helper to hold the hatch up.
I have new struts installed already, that might be part of the problem as they are too strong and could have possibly mis-aligned everything. I meant I only have one strut connected. It alone doesn't do anything and I have a stick to hold the trunk up when in use. Otherwise its closed. Thanks
Old 01-01-2019, 10:44 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Not sure why you think they are too strong? Are they the correct part number? The hatch is supposed to pop itself open as soon as the latch is released, it has to for the power hatch release to work. It will take force to close and make sure it closes fully to latch. As long as both struts are the same, then there should be no misalignment.

Just be very careful closing it with one strut hooked up, as that puts torque on the hinge area if you push down on the opposite side.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:12 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

On my '88, the wires in your picture are for the rear window defrost; mine are actually disconnected and the hatch release still works.

I suugest that your hatch closing problem isn't due to water flowing into the area you describe; it may be water pooling where the hatch pins engage. There is a tube in each spot that is supposed to take water that pools on the spoiler away. Perhaps it is clogged causing the pin catch to jam open--through force, corrosion, sludge buildup, whatever--and delay the lock movement for some time.

FYI if your hatch rattles, get these https://www.only944.com/partscatalog...hatchpinseats/ I have them and they solved a hatch lock issue for me a long time ago.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:27 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

the pins adjust up and down by turning them. Also try to push hard on top of the spoiler at each side to get the hatch to lock. Aftermarket struts will often have too much pressure, maybe install the old ones with the piece of wood to hold hatch open.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:06 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
the pins adjust up and down by turning them. Also try to push hard on top of the spoiler at each side to get the hatch to lock. Aftermarket struts will often have too much pressure, maybe install the old ones with the piece of wood to hold hatch open.
You can actually get those pins to turn? Mine have been seized since I've owned the car
Old 01-14-2019, 05:54 PM
Bikendrum
AutoX

Did anyone figure out the problem ? I have an 86 944 and I put new rear shocks in my hatch and its doing the same thing. it won't stay shut. it popped open 3 times on the LA freeways.. that's embarrassing.

Can the pins or locks be adjusted? I hope this didn't hijack the thread into a different question.. if so please move!

Thanks
Old 01-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Bikendrum
AutoX

I just went out and used a 13 mm flare wrench for pipe fittings. it worked on those pins to adjust them. if yours are rusted Pb blaster and let it set then use the flare wrench.
I think mine may stay shut now.

Quick Reply: '86 944 Trunk Latch wont close (rain water?) - I need immediate help