Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get into 944 Ownership (Also posted in Model Specific Forum)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 PM
jderimig
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason1985

So again any hints, tips, tricks, lessons learned, parts sources, part number information etc. as far as a trans rebuild is concerned would be greatly appreciated.

- Thanks, Jason
I would look to buy a used or parted out transaxle. Rebuild is not easy on these without the "special" Porsche/VW tools. I hear its a big/hard/expensive job. You might as well do the clutch while your there. ~$900 in parts.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:35 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My biggest concern is the special tools required and the availability of the parts required.
You shouldn't have trouble with parts. If the car isn't already equipped with a LSD the rebuild is a good time to install one. The tools are prohibitive (around $4000) unless you plan on specializing in rebuilding Audi transmissions. I had mine re-built for $850 + parts. Check with Dimi at FlyingHorseMotorsports.com (he's on this list) for parts, he knows the transmissions inside out and can supply everything you'll need, he's also on the east coast. If you can find a local speed shop that works on Audi's that might be the best place to take the transaxle.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:09 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

PS: 2nd on the clutch idea, no better time to do it. Depending on mileage and symptoms, you might think about doing the torque tube bearings too. I can recommend the Black Sea Research "Super Bearings". When I did it I also installed a solid transmission mount (Pelican Parts "Super Mount"), a transmission oil cooler (stock ZF from Dimi) and a short shift kit from only944.com. I've been very happy with all of it but I've only got about 500 miles on it.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:21 AM
951nut2.0
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leak behind rear wheels that results in damp areas in bins is.....

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
In the winter time these doors do close much harder than any other car I own, including the Audi 200s and 4000. Both Audi and 944s were built on the same car line in Audi's Neckarsulm factory and use similar hinge location and door checks, so am thinking it has much to do with lubrication and/or placement or sealing of the rubber trim, allowing either dirt or water to enter. I don't use either car lines in the winter, choosing to use an expendable Japanese 4 wheel drive or front wheel drive to endure the snow, ice, and road salts, so don't encounter the situation except to check on them in the garage. They are stiff and heavier feeling..... they do require nearly yearly lubing. I use a dry silicone-grease spray lube and hold a rag around the area so overspray doesn't get on bodywork or interior bits. I also close the doors by the center of the door and by the door handle, not by the top of the door frame. There is a difference in leverage and feel to the closing.

The bodies are fully galvanized steel not stainless ( second series was warranted for 10 years, not the initial 7 years on perforation due to rusting ). There are pockets of concern such as behind the fenders in the rear of those front fenders which collect salt and debris and need fastidious care and cleaning. Sill areas or under the rocker panels where floor pans meet, and rear wheel 'bins' behind the rear wheel, are vulnerable. Often times the rubber one way plugs are missing and thus collects moisture in these areas and rust starts easily. If they are left dirty or full of trash and debris. One car I looked at and passed on had a blanket wrapped around the cardboard box and air compressor and everything was soaked in water. Rust was bleeding from the area around wheel well seams. Total negligence had ruined that part of the car and the very hard to find air pump.
sunroof drain dislodged, marker light improper changed and replaced without seal and damage to railings which when replaced require a tar strip to be refit. Last cause is failure of deck lid to fit due to collision or failure of upper edge which separates due to pushing of deck schocks under pressure. I began work on these cars nes in 1985 and see the same Achilles heels over the years but they can be overcome
Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm occasionally perplexed by the "engineering" that is put into these cars. The lackadaisical design that I run into-battery tray drainage, quarter panel drainage etc. There's over kill here,under kill there. Porsche meant well I choose to believe but some aspects of the design is what lead to it's down fall. It's enthusiasts like us that keep these beasts on the road. I've been asked, "why a 924S?" Some days I feel that was a good question. Why?
Old 01-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Swenny
I'm occasionally perplexed by the "engineering" that is put into these cars. The lackadaisical design that I run into-battery tray drainage, quarter panel drainage etc. There's over kill here,under kill there. Porsche meant well I choose to believe but some aspects of the design is what lead to it's down fall. It's enthusiasts like us that keep these beasts on the road. I've been asked, "why a 924S?" Some days I feel that was a good question. Why?
I think it's important to remember what was happening at Porsche when they introduced the 924/944/928. Up until then, the cars were pretty much hand built and Porsche was on the verge of bankruptcy. They couldn't compete with the highly automated production lines developed by Japan. Detroit was in the same spot.

The universal solution was to hire Japanese consultants to re-design their production lines. For Porsche, the first attempt at using those techniques were the 924 & etc. The goal was to build a Porsche in a new way and there were problems. Those are the cars we're supporting and they have warts. It's part of the experience and we deal with it. We're supporting what was once the cutting edge of manufacturing and design and not all of it was done right the first time.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:52 PM
jderimig
Racer

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
I think it's important to remember what was happening at Porsche when they introduced the 924/944/928. Up until then, the cars were pretty much hand built and Porsche was on the verge of bankruptcy. They couldn't compete with the highly automated production lines developed by Japan. Detroit was in the same spot.

The universal solution was to hire Japanese consultants to re-design their production lines.
I think that was done in the Boxster, 996 era. If I remember correctly (not a certainty with my brain) the 924 was a commissioned project for Audi that was contracted to Porsche. There were many constraints on cost that the design had to be compatible with the VW/Audi production system and supply chain. Its a testament to Porsche engineering that they were able to make such a capable car with VW/Audi parts DNA.

In the early 80's the DM was extremely weak against the US dollar. They were generating huge cash by selling 944's into the US at MSRP's of low $20K. By the late eighties the currency exchange rate flipped and Porsche was in deep trouble. Enter Toyota who showed them how to design a vehicle for mass production. Hence the Boxster and 996. That set them up for the Cayenne and the rest is $4B/year earnings history.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

1992/993 is when the 'just in time' assembly procedure started for Porsche.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 PM
Jason1985
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@jderimig If you didn't read my opening post, I stated that I was a master mechanic for ten years, and while I hung up my wrenches professionally about 6 years ago now I'm not really concerned about the difficulty. It's more so the special tools and the parts availability. Also as promised this purchase was a "two fer", I got the running '86 along with a similar year parts car. The cars are currently not parked at my house so I can't confirm the year of the parts car but it's a similar vintage (updated interior and such). So I guess now my plan is to fix what the runner needs to remain reliable and use it during the more decent months as a "fun" car and, after better understanding it's condition, turn the parts car into a track day car. I have seen a few used transaxels for ~$800 but I'd at least like to try to rebuild the one from the car, with or without the use of the special tools / local shop, before contemplating just buying another one that may or may not be in better better shape.

You shouldn't have trouble with parts. If the car isn't already equipped with a LSD the rebuild is a good time to install one. The tools are prohibitive (around $4000) unless you plan on specializing in rebuilding Audi transmissions. I had mine re-built for $850 + parts. Check with Dimi at FlyingHorseMotorsports.com (he's on this list) for parts, he knows the transmissions inside out and can supply everything you'll need, he's also on the east coast.
Otto I have barely looked into LSD's for the 944. Is there something besides the factory unit I should consider? If my dream comes true and I have both a street car and a racecar, I will probably save the LSD for the track car. Also I will look into getting a hold of Dimi, thanks for the lead!

PS: 2nd on the clutch idea, no better time to do it. Depending on mileage and symptoms, you might think about doing the torque tube bearings too. I can recommend the Black Sea Research "Super Bearings". When I did it I also installed a solid transmission mount (Pelican Parts "Super Mount"), a transmission oil cooler (stock ZF from Dimi) and a short shift kit from only944.com.
And yes while the trans is out it makes perfect sense to look into the state of the clutch and related components. From what I understand these were originally fitted with rubber centered clutches which, of course, deteriorate over time. The torque tube bearings are another area to look into (I've read the Clark's garage replacement procedure on this actually). Again thanks for the suggestion.

I doubt the trans cooler would be needed on the road car but almost a must on the track car (IF it's deemed worthy of the task). Also I hope you upgraded to solid engine mounts as well. I've heard of some pretty catastrophic results when only one end of your powertrain is solidly mounted (trans case cracking or worse...), but those were stories of more traditional powertrains (trans mounted directly to engine), so perhaps the modest engine power output and any flex in the torque tube would alleviate these concerns.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:09 PM
jderimig
Racer

@jderimig If you didn't read my opening post, I stated that I was a master mechanic for ten years, and while I hung up my wrenches professionally about 6 years ago now I'm not really concerned about the difficulty. It's more so the special tools and the parts availability. Also as promised this purchase was a "two fer", I got the running '86 along with a similar year parts car. The cars are currently not parked at my house so I can't confirm the year of the parts car but it's a similar vintage (updated interior and such). So I guess now my plan is to fix what the runner needs to remain reliable and use it during the more decent months as a "fun" car and, after better understanding it's condition, turn the parts car into a track day car. I have seen a few used transaxels for ~$800 but I'd at least like to try to rebuild the one from the car, with or without the use of the special tools / local shop, before contemplating just buying another one that may or may not be in better better shape.
Jason, that is awesome. I wasn't trying to discourage you, you asked for an opinion and I gave mine.... Its all about what you enjoy doing. Let us know how it works out! Welcome to the club.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Jason1985
Track Day

@jderimig I wasn't trying to come across as an @$$hole. Just wanted to let you that my mechanical endeavors have extended beyond wrestling with my lawnmower's spark plug . As mentioned throughout this post, as the prices of these vehicles have dropped, they have increasingly fell into the hands of people that have no idea what they are getting into or just don't care and drive them into the ground. That being said you're certainly entitled to your opinion and I agree that a trans rebuild, especially a manual transaxle rebuild, has to be the most complicated procedure one can perform on these vehicles. But as a former mechanic (where I didn't specialize in engine or trans but certainly have some experience) and current engineer I guarantee I will . So as a paying Rennlist member (still waiting for that sticker ) I hope to share my experiences as well as learn from everyone else's!
Old 01-19-2019, 03:43 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Sticker? What sticker?

Swap the transmission from the parts car. With a transmission jack and your experience, it's a before-lunch solo job
Old 01-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Very similar to what I'm doing with my 928, but I bought the parts car (exact year and even color match) long after I bought the street car. I ended up changing plans for the parts car though, instead I bought a 944 S2 for the track because it has much more aftermarket racing support. I may still turn the 928 parts car into a track car, but maybe not in this lifetime . Your case is very different since the "parts" 944 is a great candidate for a track build.

Otto I have barely looked into LSD's for the 944. Is there something besides the factory unit I should consider? If my dream comes true and I have both a street car and a racecar, I will probably save the LSD for the track car. Also I will look into getting a hold of Dimi, thanks for the lead!
I used the stock ZF LSD only because I'm trying to reproduce a "tribute" car that matches the '90-'91 Firehawk factory builds that did so well in the IMSA series of the same name. If I had a free hand in selecting an LSD I'd give the Guard product very serious consideration, it seems to be the top design for the present. Dimi can set you up with a re-built ZF LSD for about half the price of a Guard, but unless you're doing the install yourself (very pricey tools as I mentioned) the labor will be about the same.

And yes while the trans is out it makes perfect sense to look into the state of the clutch and related components. From what I understand these were originally fitted with rubber centered clutches which, of course, deteriorate over time. The torque tube bearings are another area to look into (I've read the Clark's garage replacement procedure on this actually). Again thanks for the suggestion.
No problem. I ended up using the SPEC 3+ clutch on the S2, only because I wanted a clutch that would be capable of handling the torque if I decide to turbo charge the stock 3.0L motor someday. I have the Porsche 2.7L 8V head for the engine and the associated turbo plumbing, but I'm not sure I'll ever turbo the car. After doing a full race suspension on it last year and finally getting it on the road, I'm so happy with it I'm not motivated to try getting more power out of it. It's a dream to drive and that's coming from someone whose been driving an '85 928 for over 30 years. I love this car, truly. I can't wait to get it on the track. I really recommend going with the LSD even on a street car, but I live in an area that lets me drive some of the best engineered and maintained mountain roads in the state of California every day.

I doubt the trans cooler would be needed on the road car but almost a must on the track car (IF it's deemed worthy of the task). Also I hope you upgraded to solid engine mounts as well. I've heard of some pretty catastrophic results when only one end of your powertrain is solidly mounted (trans case cracking or worse...), but those were stories of more traditional powertrains (trans mounted directly to engine), so perhaps the modest engine power output and any flex in the torque tube would alleviate these concerns.
The downside of the stock trans cooler on these cars is access; they make it impossible to get to the CV joints on the right side of the car without removal. As far as mounts go, I installed "semi" solid engine and transmission mounts for the reason you describe. They reduce flex and play in the drive train at the expense of minor increases in noise and vibration, and I stress "minor"; as in almost unnoticeable. I used the "Super Mount" engine and transmission mounts from Pelican, but I've noticed they aren't carrying the engine mounts any longer. There are alternatives though and Pelican is carrying them.

PS: There are lots of different interpretations of solid, semi-solid and liquid engine mounts for these cars so I wanted to be clear on what I mean by semi-solid. The mounts I used are billet aluminum with a fairly hard rubber isolator sandwiched in the middle of the mount. The stock mounts are what most folks call "liquid", they're rubber containers filled with a viscous fluid. Solid mounts are just that; solid metal all the way.

The stock engine mounts are comfortable on the street, very expensive, and last about 2 to 4 years. Don't even consider anything but OEM factory liquid mounts, they're the only ones that last even 2 years. The others are complete junk.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 01-19-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:35 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

@jderimig I wasn't trying to come across as an @$$hole.
Don't worry Jason, you didn't. It's always good to let folks on the list know your skill level. No shame in doing it and you presented yourself well. Welcome to the team.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:24 PM
Jason1985
Track Day

@Otto Mechanic So I reached out to Rimi at Flying Horse but it looks like they're either so busy that they are no longer accepting work or they are getting out of the service business. Either way it still sounds like you have provided a solid source for parts (he claims to still sell parts) and could refer me to someone who can service the trans if needed. From their site I learned about a source for used transaxle's for around $250 + $100 shipped (https://www.porsche944usedparts.com/). So if I make a complete mess of mine I at least have a source cheaper than FB Marketplace / List of Craig.

@Dan Martinic
Sticker? What sticker?

From the Rennlist registration page, for paid 1 or 2 year subscription: "A pair of official Rennlist decals"

Quick Reply: Looking to get into 944 Ownership (Also posted in Model Specific Forum)