Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 Turbo shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Rob-O
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Turbo shutting off

So I finally got my no start issues resolved (changed speed and reference sensors). Then I changed the clutch and slave cylinders and took it for a quick drive to the end of my street.

Now when I start the car it will run for about 5 seconds and then shut down. Before shut down the idle is steady (no coughing/sputtering). The car will restart immediately but then shut down again. No sure if feathering the throttle will keep it running or not.

I don’t think the alternator is charging the battery, but the battery has a full charge. Also the power steering has a sever leak and the reservoir is empty of fluid. I don’t think those two issues would be the cause of the shut down but I thought I’d mention them in just in case there is some sensor that might contribute to the shut down issue.

any ideas on what to start looking at first? I know Fi pretty well, just not the 944 system.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:53 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd suspect the fuel system. Can you spray some starter fluid into the intake in spurts while the engine is running to see if you can keep the engine going? If it does then I'd recommend doing fuel system checks for fuel pressures, fuel pressure regulator checks and vacuum sources to the FPR. Reference Clark's Garage for system checks.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:03 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I'd suspect the fuel system. Can you spray some starter fluid into the intake in spurts while the engine is running to see if you can keep the engine going? If it does then I'd recommend doing fuel system checks for fuel pressures, fuel pressure regulator checks and vacuum sources to the FPR. Reference Clark's Garage for system checks.
As I recall, the fuel pump will only run when the ECU is convinced the engine is turning. It makes that decision based on the output of the speed and reference sensors you mentioned you'd replaced. I think the first thing I'd check is the gap on those sensors, make sure they're delivering a good signal, else the ECU will turn off your fuel pump and the engine will stop.

Regards,
Old 11-15-2018, 02:11 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

PS: You didn't mention the year, but since you did mention the speed and reference sensors, I'll assume yours is an early model.

Did you by any chance "notch" the bell housing while you were replacing the clutch? If so, earlier models will have problems because the sensors aren't shielded and will pick up noise from other electrical components near them, which can cause the ECU to shut down the engine the way you describe. There's a later model part that's used to shield the sensor(s), you may need to install them if you notched the bell housing.

PS: I've heard rumors that wrapping the sensors in tin foil does the trick too, but I've never tried it.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 11-16-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:22 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Always good to suspect a common DME relay issue and test using the DME relay jumper as per clark's garage.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

It ran well to the end of your street? Then just started dying after parking and resting for a while? If so, the reference & speed sensors should be good. I'm curious what you find! Let us know
Old 11-20-2018, 06:47 PM
Rob-O
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, all good suggestions. As it turned out a small hose had come off a line that was running from the inter cooler to the throttle body. Once I hooked that line back up it was fine.

Not sure how that line line fell off. I wasn’t working anywhere near that area. The end of the hose has marks that show it had a hose clamp on it but there was no hose clamp on it when I found it. See pic below...

Quick Reply: 1986 Turbo shutting off