Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideolas Garage- Scam artist or reputable business?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:10 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ideolas Garage- Scam artist or reputable business?

Anyone here dealt with Ideolas garage before? I've never ordered from them previously as they seem to mostly cater to 924's. I needed a set of stage 8 locking CV bolts and ordered from them on Oct 16th paid via paypal. I emailed right after my purchase when I realized I'd like some spare clips and D rings to go with them in case any were damaged during install. I got a reply from Dan Beckett (owner?) immediately saying it was OK to send $6 separately via paypal for some spare clips/D rings. Never received tracking info or email that they had shipped. I emailed them again on Oct 16th and Oct 31st to see if they shipped with no replies to either. The 924/944/968 world is small and I've never had issues purchasing from any other the other vendors (Lindsey/Paragon/Rennbay/944online etc). Can anyone verify if they've ordered from Ideola's garage before? I sent a message on Nov 3rd via paypal with no reply and finally escalated the case with paypal a few minutes ago. Disappointing since this community is generally small and mostly seems to be run by honest enthusiasts.

Last edited by s14kev; 11-05-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:13 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

He is reputable but I know he just shut down his business. There is a thread on here regarding that.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:18 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fejjj
He is reputable but I know he just shut down his business. There is a thread on here regarding that.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the business was shut down. He did reply via email right after I paid to say it was ok to forward extra funds for the spare clips so I do know he is aware payment was sent.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Dan is a great and very helpful guy.
He had some personal stuff going on which led to the recent shutdown of Ideola's.
He'll set you straight.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Dan is an outstanding guy! He did the PPI on my first 944 and helped me get my 931 back on the road. What everyone else is saying is the truth! He'll sort things out, don't you worry.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:12 PM
ddieringer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met him at a meet-up at his place in IL in 2017. (I'm in the jacket.) Really solid guy. Liked him a lot. Even got to drive his GTS (hell of a fine car)...

Mine is the blue one with the hood closed (barely visible in this pic, but it's a nice pic regardless)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:44 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Paypal refunded my initial payment of $112 for the locking bolts. Dan Beckett has elected to keep the additional $6 I sent for the extra clips. At this stage I would put Dan under the unscrupulous scam artist category especially since his page is still open for other unsuspecting customers to send him money. Fairly sad as this is the first time I've had an issue with purchases in the 944 community. Please avoid the website below if anyone is looking for items:

http://garage.ideola.com/prod-SuspensionUpgrades.html
Old 11-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I suspect a life-gets-in-the-way event here. I know Dan and this is not the way he does business. If you are crying about $6 - you need to get over yourself.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I suspect a life-gets-in-the-way event here. I know Dan and this is not the way he does business. If you are crying about $6 - you need to get over yourself.
Not concerned about $6. That buys pretty much nothing in the 911 world. Just giving a heads up to anyone who may wander on to the site looking for parts. It seems you are upset with me giving our fellow rennlisters some feedback?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:53 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by s14kev
....Dan Beckett has elected to keep the additional $6...
Dans always been good to me, message me your PayPal and I’ll send you the $6
Old 11-13-2018, 12:43 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

It seems Dan Beckett has a good fanbase here which is nice to hear that he was a decent resource at one stage. I don't know him and this is my first purchase from his store. Thread was initially started to check if I accidently purchased from a nonreputable site since I had heard nothing from the seller 3 weeks after payment. The update today was to warn fellow rennlisters not to order from the site since it is still open. I've been a long term member, long term owner of a 951 and have always appreciated how close the 944 community is. Scott and MAGK944 can try to make a big deal out of the comment on $6 to make it seem like I'm the problem here which is somewhat sad as I don't believe I've done anything wrong short of trying to help prevent another member from having the same experience. I've been focused on 911 projects recently and have been away from the 944 forum but it's a little sad to see this kind of response from the 944 group.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:47 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Bought some parts from him a couple of years ago, he provided excellent service and went above and great advice. Two thumbs up.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

It seems Dan Beckett has a good fanbase here which is nice to hear that he was a decent resource at one stage. I don't know him and this is my first purchase from his store. Thread was initially started to check if I accidently purchased from a nonreputable site since I had heard nothing from the seller 3 weeks after payment. The update today was to warn fellow rennlisters not to order from the site since it is still open. I've been a long term member, long term owner of a 951 and have always appreciated how close the 944 community is. Scott and MAGK944 can try to make a big deal out of the comment on $6 to make it seem like I'm the problem here which is somewhat sad as I don't believe I've done anything wrong short of trying to help prevent another member from having the same experience. I've been focused on 911 projects recently and have been away from the 944 forum but it's a little sad to see this kind of response from the 944 group.
I think it was your tone, from the start. Guilty until proven innocent comes to mind...

Apologies if I misinterpreted.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:12 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

...I would put Dan under the unscrupulous scam artist category especially since his page is still open for other unsuspecting customers to send him money...
Well sometimes even folk who have been icons of the community here have personal or other human issues. Idk why his site is still taking orders, however I would think it’s not a priority for him to address this as it seems to be to you.

Thing that that irked me is that, after you got your money refunded by Dan, you continue to publically call him a “scam artist” over the missing $6. Fair thing to do is ask the admins to delete your thread and let’s just get on with life
Old 11-13-2018, 01:23 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944

Well sometimes even folk who have been icons of the community here have personal or other human issues. Idk why his site is still taking orders, however I would think it’s not a priority for him to address this as it seems to be to you.

Thing that that irked me is that, after you got your money refunded by Dan, you continue to publically call him a “scam artist” over the missing $6. Fair thing to do is ask the admins to delete your thread and let’s just get on with life
He didn't refund my payment. Paypal did through their protection system. My communications with paypal imply they did not get a response from him. Yes, things happen in life and I'm sure he has bigger things going on. I'm not disputing this however there is no reason not to give a heads up since his site is still up and taking orders. Apologies if I irked you and that you are upset. Again I have no idea who he is or how reputable he was. Just trying to prevent the same from happening but perhaps I should not give warning to fellow rennlisters in the future.

Quick Reply: Ideolas Garage- Scam artist or reputable business?