Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideolas Garage- Scam artist or reputable business?

Old 11-13-2018, 02:37 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by s14kev
He didn't refund my payment. Paypal did through their protection system. My communications with paypal imply they did not get a response from him. Yes, things happen in life and I'm sure he has bigger things going on. I'm not disputing this however there is no reason not to give a heads up since his site is still up and taking orders. Apologies if I irked you and that you are upset. Again I have no idea who he is or how reputable he was. Just trying to prevent the same from happening but perhaps I should not give warning to fellow rennlisters in the future.
I never said I had a problem with you giving others a heads up that the site is still taking orders, that’s good info and thank you for that. My problem was you publically calling someone a scam artist when they clearly have other priorities in life that have prevented them from addressing the issue that’s #1 priority to you.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:30 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944

I never said I had a problem with you giving others a heads up that the site is still taking orders, that’s good info and thank you for that. My problem was you publically calling someone a scam artist when they clearly have other priorities in life that have prevented them from addressing the issue that’s #1 priority to you.

There was no indication that he "clearly has other priorities in life" apart from V2 saying in this thread that he may have some personal stuff going on but no one else confirming it. Certainly nothing on his website when I ordered and when I search rennlist for the user name "Ideola", none of his posts indicate other priorities so no need to imply that I'm being a problem by missing that he clearly has other priorities. $112 is chump change now however I remember at one point in my car addiction as a kid it being a huge amount. Would you feel the same if it had been $1120 and the explanation was he "clearly has other priorities in life". $1K is chump change to many also ($1K was recently barely enough to buy me a 993 handbrake handle!)

That being said. It seems Dan has a good following and has done right by many others. I hope he's doing OK. I can only hope its not a major family or medical issue. Hopefully he is healthy and so is his family. If he is a stand up guy as suggested, perhaps he can update us on how he is doing in the future.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

C'mon guys lighten up on Kev, good, standup guy in his own right.

I have dealt with him myself on at least one occasion.

Likewise, I seem to get all the "ask that guy" things at the track...., ones of make/model/vintage that I couldn't help with I passed off to Dan.

Dan seems to be history, for whatever reason.

No use to lose two good people.

T
Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Thanks Terry. I think this thread has served it's purpose informing folks to not accidently order items from Dan at this point. Lets end on a good note with best wishes to Dan. I hope things are going OK for him.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:24 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Thanks Terry. I think this thread has served it's purpose informing folks to not accidently order items from Dan at this point. Lets end on a good note with best wishes to Dan. I hope things are going OK for him.
Gonna be in Nashville, work trip, some time in Feb.

I think I'm booked at Hotel Indigo (again - love the vibe of that place) at Union & Third right next to Printer's Alley, will keep you posted via email or PM (here or Pelican) for a possible meet up....?

T

Old 11-13-2018, 08:03 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S

I think I'm booked at Hotel Indigo (again - love the vibe of that place) at Union & Third right next to Printer's Alley, will keep you posted via email or PM (here or Pelican) for a possible meet up....?

T
Perfect. Try to be here on the weekend. If the weather is good we have a regular group of folks that drive some of our awesome backroads. Not sure if the 944T or 993TT will be running but I'll be sure to have at least one turbocharged vehicle to tour the backroads with you.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:56 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Perfect. Try to be here on the weekend. If the weather is good we have a regular group of folks that drive some of our awesome backroads. Not sure if the 944T or 993TT will be running but I'll be sure to have at least one turbocharged vehicle to tour the backroads with you.
Cool, because I'll be in a Ford Explorer or and F150....

And yeah, it'll be weekend.

The Palm restaurant or bust. I have waiter friends there, once tipped a dude $50 because he could name all Supreme Court Justices....

T
Old 11-14-2018, 12:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S

T
hopefully by then I'll live there too
Old 11-15-2018, 06:08 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This made me laugh, lol.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I saw that too. Thought it an odd coincidence. After finding that post - I suspect Dan had to shut down his business. Hope all is well; but on the surface, this is not inspiring much confidence from a business perspective. Probably all I should say...
Old 11-15-2018, 08:46 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

I've come across a lot of boutique businesses in this world of Porsche performance and restoration. some good, some not so good.
there really is no excuse for poor customer service; seems like a lot of the boutique vendors get a pass just because they are "good guys"
Old 11-16-2018, 03:33 PM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A business that accepts money for a service or a purchase that is not performed is committing fraud. This business, person or owners reputation is not relevant. Contracts 101 first year of law school. A reputable person or business returns the money or doesn’t take it in the first place.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:40 PM
bureau13
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

The entry page to his site is shuttered. I did notice if you directly link to sub-pages, they're still there. Strange that it is still taking orders. Clearly if he were trying to scam people he wouldn't have shuttered the main page.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I've gotten burned before, ordering stuff from a site that was not "supposed" to be taking orders but still was. If someone can help him take down the purchasing links or get him to shut down the payment processor or something that'll save people a lot of frustration... and his reputation. The reality is that right now he runs a site that'll take orders, take money, and no products will be forthcoming.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

@s14kev Sir, I owe you an apology, I just realized that certain parts of Dans website are still live for orders. I must have skipped over that part of your post and just went to his homepage which, as I thought, is closed for business (http://garage.ideola.com/). In my defense he did announce on Facebook that he was closing the site and when I checked the homepage it was closed, however your experience has found a loophole that I missed and you brought to light. So again, apologies for jumping in and defending Dan while not fully understanding the issue you were informing us of. Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ideolas Garage- Scam artist or reputable business?