Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Offset Key Installation

Old 11-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Spencer,
In your graph above, how much was shaved on the head? Shaving the head retards the cam timing. I'll do the math later when I have the time.

Also, anyone notice this comment on the Lindsey site?
In designing this gear, we measured several factory gears and found the relationship of the gear teeth and key-way to be as much as 2° different from one another. We don't know which is correct, but it just goes to show how far your cam can be off even if your car is completely stock. Then there is the possibility of the same issue on the position of the crank gear key, the crank key and the camslaft key. You really don't know where the cam position actually is. A degree kit and an adjustable gear is the only correct way to know.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

I don't recall how much was shaved - it was done in 2005. Bare minimum to clean off old gasket and ensure flatness.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:46 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 951and944S
111, you have to maintain the filter, clean and re-oil, yes they flow better and yes they allow production of more power and torque as they are less restrictive.

They become equal to restrictive paper filters when you don't maintain them.

So, closer tolerance engines (?) are ok with more dust and particles....?

The discussion didn't become about SPEC racing but since you mentioned it, a car on track will see 10 X the amount of dirt/dust/debris than a street car.

Have you ever seen the inside of an engine....?

Any engine...?

T
You misread me. Engines...oh never mind. Yes, I've been in engines.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:51 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Spencer,
In your graph above, how much was shaved on the head? Shaving the head retards the cam timing. I'll do the math later when I have the time.

Also, anyone notice this comment on the Lindsey site?
That blurb from the Lindsey site is... very interesting indeed. I often wonder just how exact the tolerances are on massed-produced parts, and clearly even on German (or Italian?) dies and presses there is wear
Old 11-06-2018, 10:31 AM
jderimig
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
That blurb from the Lindsey site is... very interesting indeed. I often wonder just how exact the tolerances are on massed-produced parts, and clearly even on German (or Italian?) dies and presses there is wear
That couild explain the OP experience with his cam key.

Its totally reasonable to have a +/- 1deg tolerance on the keyways for the shaft, cam gear, crank pulley keyway and crank keyway and "that" TDC mark on the flywheel.

Add another deg or so due to timing belt syncing uncertainty to the crankshaft pulley. (You can't perfect sync with a timing belt).
Its conceivable you can have an engine sample that may already be advanced or retarded 2-3 from nominal. Putting a offset key on one of those advanced sample may not get you a good result.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Hack
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the world I'm from, when you assemble an engine you always degree the camshaft due to component tolerances, and adjustments are very common. I'm a little surprised there isn't someone here that knows how accurate their camshaft location was the last time they replaced the belts.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:48 AM
jderimig
Racer

Originally Posted by Hack
In the world I'm from, when you assemble an engine you always degree the camshaft due to component tolerances, and adjustments are very common. I'm a little surprised there isn't someone here that knows how accurate their camshaft location was the last time they replaced the belts.
The only thing you can "degree" on the 944 camshaft is where the keyway is not where the lobes are. There is a tolerance on the alignment between the key and the lob grind. Same goes for the crankshaft keyway, and the gear keyways etc. I can't see how you can be sure that you are aligned any better than 1 or 2 degrees if you just time by the keyway positions.

Hack: Are you talking about something different?
Old 11-06-2018, 10:49 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Oh yes, that might be it! The post about burning the cat and poor performance... adding a 4deg offset to an already combined offset due to tolerances could be similar to installing a timing belt 1 tooth off--apparently a 9deg error

I'm thinking of trying the 2deg key... seems like a safe bet and not a pricey experimemt
Old 11-06-2018, 11:07 AM
jderimig
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Oh yes, that might be it! The post about burning the cat and poor performance... adding a 4deg offset to an already combined offset due to tolerances could be similar to installing a timing belt 1 tooth off--apparently a 9deg error

I'm thinking of trying the 2deg key... seems like a safe bet and not a pricey experimemt
I did the 4 deg and its great on my car.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Hack
...you always degree the camshaft due to component tolerances, and adjustments are very common.....
So I’m curious, how did you degree your 944 camshaft?

Fwiw, the 4deg offset key noticeably improved my na throughout the rev range that matters on a road car.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Anyone do this on a 951? Lots of NA feedback but is this same for 951?
Old 11-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Hack
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jderimig
The only thing you can "degree" on the 944 camshaft is where the keyway is not where the lobes are. There is a tolerance on the alignment between the key and the lob grind. Same goes for the crankshaft keyway, and the gear keyways etc. I can't see how you can be sure that you are aligned any better than 1 or 2 degrees if you just time by the keyway positions.

Hack: Are you talking about something different?
I was talking about measuring TDC with a piston stop and comparing TDC to the cam lobe position. I'm surprised there's no way to measure it.

Originally Posted by MAGK944

Fwiw, the 4deg offset key noticeably improved my na throughout the rev range that matters on a road car.

I just bought a 944 and I've never had it apart. I am trying to learn from the experts here. I have degreed several cams in the past, though.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:14 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 159 Posts

[QUOTE=MAGK944;15412543]

[QUOTE=MAGK944;15412543]
Correctly degreeing a camshaft on a 944 is a pain ...i've done it a few times and it requires a few home made tools to lessen
the deflection on the dial indicator stem , although it gets easier every time ... and that's when an adjustable timing gear comes in handy.

Not too familiar with the timing key on our 2.5 engines but i have offset timing keys on two of my two stroke
snowmobiles and it's pretty effective.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camshaft Offset Key Installation