Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Seal Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

It'd have to be leaking at the body down near the pintle cap then. I think there is a seam near #5 in this cutaway:
https://witchhunter.com/images/injectorcutaway.jpg

*edit* looks like a crimp is more visible in this cutaway:
https://www.cprracing.com/wp-content...tor-cutout.png

If there are Design III injectors that'll work IMO waste no time or money messing around with the old potbellied ones.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:55 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Did you replace your injector seals with a rebuild kit or have Witch hunter re do them? The pic below shows the 3 seals that come in rebuild kits and the ones that typically show up from rebuilders. The lower seal is what we need in the 928 world for the lower injector on our cars and I can't remember if the 9x4 use the same one. But could be your issue.
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I install the injectors the Official Workshop Manual way: injectors into the intake manifold first. When I put the injectors into the manifold, they "pop" into place. No, "pop", not fully seated.

Next, I install the fuel rail on top. Finally, with pliers I gently pull up on each injector until I can put the clip on. The clip location is tricky: it actually looks like it goes further down but doesn't.

The problem with putting the injectors into the fuel rail first is you'll have a very hard time "popping" them into the intake manifold. This is because the bolt-down bracket for the rail doesn't allow the rail to be pushed down any further.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:19 PM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If these are old injectors, simply replace them. The plastic welds begin to fail as these things age. I had the same issue on my 951 and new seals will not solve the issue. It's time for new injectors. Replace them all and move on.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:36 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

I’m believing the “replace and move on” line of thinking. I did not realize there was a joint below the seal. That seems to be a very plausible explanation.

Any opinions on replacement injectors that won’t break the bank?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:33 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

From my experience chasing similar leaks I would bet my 25 cents on it being the injectors. Check out my thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...know-this.html
As mentioned in my thread I bought 4 used injectors off eBay... 1 of the 4 had the same problem but with the other 3 I got the car back on the road and I think I still have one functional spare.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Some people have had good luck with GM injectors. They apparently seat well and give about 6 sprays out instead of just one. I think some are for Buicks. Just check with your local auto parts store. Take the old injector with you so you can get a good number cross. I think that AutoZone had some for about 40 bucks apiece or so..that's where I used to work (retired now) not a plug for AZ..just sayin...Hope this helps a bit..
Old 10-31-2018, 09:55 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

I checked out Elgy’s thread again. I know I have read that thread at least two times. Now I understand that his leak problem was the same thing I am experiencing.

Concerning replacement injectors, if there are more modern injectors that would be an improvement over OEM and maybe even be reasonably priced, I would be interested in learning of them. I have read various threads about this injector or that injector may work. Or the coil resistance needs to be this or that and could or might work if you add a resistor....you get my concern.

I have no problem buying standard injectors, I am just thinking that if there were an identifiable injector that is known to be a good replacement, I would go that route, especially if it is reasonably priced.

Any thoughts to add? I appreciate all of you for taking the time to reply. Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:57 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

Tiger,

I forgot to acknowledge your post. Thanks for the tip to take an injector in to help cross reference the part.

Thanks again,
Old 11-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I didn't read every word of this thread - but I didn't see anywhere the mention of lubricating the o-rings.

Use a drop or two of ATF. Lightly lube all o-rings. It is easy to tear the rings if they are dry and forced into place.

I have also used the rebuild service from Rock Auto. There are other, more reputable places - but I have been happy with RA.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:50 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I didn't read every word of this thread - but I didn't see anywhere the mention of lubricating the o-rings.

Use a drop or two of ATF. Lightly lube all o-rings. It is easy to tear the rings if they are dry and forced into place.

I have also used the rebuild service from Rock Auto. There are other, more reputable places - but I have been happy with RA.
Another cleaning and testing service is SouthBay Fuel Injectors, in NY. My personal experience is quick turnaround, excellent client focus, and well documented test data. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:49 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post.

I have learned that the original injectors were prone to leaking, not just at the joint between the top plastic section and the metal body, but at the joint between the body and the pintel section just above the plastic spacer and lower O-ring. I did not know about the lower leak point. This leak point is the only thing that could explain such a profuse leak, just above the manifold.

I ordered 4 replacement injectors this past Friday. I will report back the results of the install to close the loop on this saga.

Thanks again to all who offered their experience. It is much appreciated.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:57 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

I received the replacement injectors from MotorMan on Monday after ordering on the previous Friday morning. Last night I installed them without a hitch. The engine ran rough for a few moments, then cleared right up and purred nicely. And without any leaks. The engine seems much smoother with the refurbished injectors, especially above 4,500 rpm.

The joint between the pintle end and the main body could be spun by hand on the leaking injectors. The two non-leakers did not spin. It seems kind of odd to me that a known issue like leaking injectors, would not have been corrected with a factory recall. Especially in light of the possible consequeces of a fuel leak....FIRE!

Anyhow, this car should be in pretty good shape in that regard now. Once again, I appreciate the input from all those who took the time to post their experience.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldvazquez
I received the replacement injectors from MotorMan on Monday after ordering on the previous Friday morning. Last night I installed them without a hitch. The engine ran rough for a few moments, then cleared right up and purred nicely. And without any leaks. The engine seems much smoother with the refurbished injectors, especially above 4,500 rpm.

The joint between the pintle end and the main body could be spun by hand on the leaking injectors. The two non-leakers did not spin. It seems kind of odd to me that a known issue like leaking injectors, would not have been corrected with a factory recall. Especially in light of the possible consequeces of a fuel leak....FIRE!

Anyhow, this car should be in pretty good shape in that regard now. Once again, I appreciate the input from all those who took the time to post their experience.
Glad to hear that the problem is solved. When I had this problem I was struck by the fact that people (including me) kept putting the blame on the o-rings, and it took some searching to find an obscure reference to the real problem of the bottom part turning in the body of the injector... that is why I posted the thread that is mentioned above.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

Grant,

Your post put me on the right track. I knew of the possibility of the leak between the upper plastic end and the metal main body, but knew nothing of the possibility of the lower leak. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Seal Nightmare