Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 electric windows work only when door is open

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:39 AM
nine_fofo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 electric windows work only when door is open

Hi All

So Ive just bought my first 944 she is 2.5 lux registered in May 1986

She has several electric gremlins I need to sort but my first one has me a bit stumped, its is the electric windows.

They will only operate perfect via either switch when the doors is open. Once it's doors they are dead.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

The switches seem ok otherwise I guess they wouldn't operate at all?

I can here the relay clicking when the door opens.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Going to guess a broken wire in the area that flexes when the doors are opened/closed.

Try wiggling the wires around when the doors are open and see what happens.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (11-11-2023)
Old 10-27-2018, 12:52 PM
nine_fofo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Going to guess a broken wire in the area that flexes when the doors are opened/closed.

Try wiggling the wires around when the doors are open and see what happens.
Tried this but it is making no difference. I have the door open, windows work

Push in the interior courtesy light button with thumb ( so it thinks door is closed ) windows don't operate.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Ok, you didn't mention the door switch making it 'do it's thing' in the OP.

No clue how in the world it could happen, but it would seem that the windows have been wired into that switch.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:14 PM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The door switches connect to the poweer window regulator relay, so as to allow the window to be closed(raised) with ignition off but door open(in a case that you've forgotten to close them before getting out)
I would suspect that either the relay is bad or the ground for the relay
Steve
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (11-11-2023)
Old 10-28-2018, 05:19 AM
nine_fofo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by aussie944cab
The door switches connect to the poweer window regulator relay, so as to allow the window to be closed(raised) with ignition off but door open(in a case that you've forgotten to close them before getting out)
I would suspect that either the relay is bad or the ground for the relay
Steve
Thanks for the explanation that would make sense, I'll give the relay a try and let you know.
👍
Old 10-30-2018, 11:48 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Power Windows To open or close windows, depress the rocker switches located in the door panels. The door window on the passenger's side can also be operated from the drivers side. The power windows are operational when the ignition switch is turned to positions 1 or 2. Information regarding ignition switch positions will be found in section titled, "Ignition/starter switch with steering lock". When the ignition is turned off or the ignition key removed, the power windows can be operated until one door is opened.
From the manual. I know it doesn't describe your weird results exactly, but I wonder if that last sentence could be related. Like maybe that circuit is mis-wired or bad.

Does the door being open allow you to roll up the windows regardless of if the key is ON/OFF or removed? Does it work multiple times? I mean can you open the door, the windows work. Close the door and reopen it and they still work?

Just trying to get my head around the issue.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:52 PM
nine_fofo
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
From the manual. I know it doesn't describe your weird results exactly, but I wonder if that last sentence could be related. Like maybe that circuit is mis-wired or bad.

Does the door being open allow you to roll up the windows regardless of if the key is ON/OFF or removed? Does it work multiple times? I mean can you open the door, the windows work. Close the door and reopen it and they still work?

Hi

I'll go through the symptoms below I'm listing the actions as I do them
  • Disarm immobiliser/alarm, unlock door with key, open door, press window buttons both work fine. No key in ignition.
  • Close door windows don't work, no key in ignition
  • Doors closed, ignition on. Windows not working
  • Open doors, ignition on, windows work
  • Ignition off Remove key, doors still open windows still work
  • Courtesy light goes out from timer, windows still work.
I can open and close the door multiple times and the windows will still on work when the door is open.

I have removed all switches and cleaned contacts, removed door switch, cleaned contacts.

i should mention it makes no difference which door is open all switches and both doors operate fine asking as some door is open.

I can hear the relay clicking when I open the doors. And I have also removed and cleaned the relay even though it was clean when I opened it

So any help is massively appreciated it's all just a bit odd and all suggestions are welcome

Thanks again

Last edited by nine_fofo; 10-30-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:40 PM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It appears that the Uk and US cars are configered differently
From a UK manual
"When the doors are closed the windows only function with the ignition switch in pos. 1 or 2. When a door is open the window can function even if the ignition key is not inserted"

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/39...page=89#manual
Check that you have 12V at the relay when you turn on the ignition, I think Terminal X is the supply which is interupted when the starter is cranking, Terminal 31 is Ground

Last edited by aussie944cab; 10-30-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:51 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie944cab
It appears that the Uk and US cars are configered differently
From a UK manual
"When the doors are closed the windows only function with the ignition switch in pos. 1 or 2. When a door is open the window can function even if the ignition key is not inserted"

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/39...page=89#manual
Check that you have 12V at the relay when you turn on the ignition, I think Terminal X is the supply which is interupted when the starter is cranking, Terminal 31 is Ground
Well, didn't know that!!! Good stuff!!!

So as OP is from the UK, we'll assume he has a ROW car. From what the UK manual tells us, the part of the system that allows the windows to work with the door open is working! That's good.

So with all the info we have now, aussie is 100% on the right track! Your problem is that the ignition isn't powering your windows!!! Only the "door open" circuit is!!!

On US cars at least, there are are for sure two relays that handle the accessories/interior stuff with ignition on! One is G14 (Ignition Relay X on US cars).... and it controls blower motor and power windows.... and only those two things it seems. How do I know??

My Windows not working thread

Now this should ALSO mean your blower motor isn't working, if it's the G14 relay. But since you have a ROW car, that's not 100% for sure! I had totally forgotten about my issue till I started writing this post, my concern had been the blower motor, the widows were a side issue to me. But it clicked when I started thinking ignition relays! Try swapping another relay into G14, and see if your windows work!!! If that's it, you'll be the only other person I've found with the G14 problem. Took me quite a while to track it down since nothing anywhere tells us what G14 does exactly. But I know for sure it's window and blower related on US cars.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:34 AM
nine_fofo
5th Gear

Well, didn't know that!!! Good stuff!!!

So as OP is from the UK, we'll assume he has a ROW car. From what the UK manual tells us, the part of the system that allows the windows to work with the door open is working! That's good.

So with all the info we have now, aussie is 100% on the right track! Your problem is that the ignition isn't powering your windows!!! Only the "door open" circuit is!!!

On US cars at least, there are are for sure two relays that handle the accessories/interior stuff with ignition on! One is G14 (Ignition Relay X on US cars).... and it controls blower motor and power windows.... and only those two things it seems. How do I know??

My Windows not working thread

Now this should ALSO mean your blower motor isn't working, if it's the G14 relay. But since you have a ROW car, that's not 100% for sure! I had totally forgotten about my issue till I started writing this post, my concern had been the blower motor, the widows were a side issue to me. But it clicked when I started thinking ignition relays! Try swapping another relay into G14, and see if your windows work!!! If that's it, you'll be the only other person I've found with the G14 problem. Took me quite a while to track it down since nothing anywhere tells us what G14 does exactly. But I know for sure it's window and blower related on US cars.
So sorry for the delay in response work and personal life got in the way of posting an update. But I just wanted to thank you for the guidance. You were bang on with this being the G14 relay.

I couldn't get the original relay anywhere new so porsche in nottinNott ordered me in the equivalent and now my windows work perfectly as they should. Door open or closed.

Indeed my blower motor was not working but that was next on the list so you fixed both my issues.

Thanks so much for the help 🤘

For anyone's reference the relay below was the one removed

Original G14 relay

Original G14 relay

Porsche replacement / alternative relay

Old 11-06-2023, 01:12 PM
MjRodrigues
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by nine_fofo
Hi All

So Ive just bought my first 944 she is 2.5 lux registered in May 1986

She has several electric gremlins I need to sort but my first one has me a bit stumped, its is the electric windows.

They will only operate perfect via either switch when the doors is open. Once it's doors they are dead.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

The switches seem ok otherwise I guess they wouldn't operate at all?

I can here the relay clicking when the door opens.
have you solved the problem? I have the same problem... i think i have a fix for that... the relay itself is stupid and that is normal to happen... cause you always have positive from the 30 pin... when you open the doors the is a ground from the luggage compartment light that activates the relay on 85a pin... i suppose you have the original relay that has a connection before the internal switch... i believe porsche redesigned the relay so it has a connection after the internal switch so it only gets power when you turn on the key (86pin)... i ordered a relay like that and when it arrives ill keep you posted
Old 11-11-2023, 05:53 AM
MjRodrigues
2nd Gear

Default Solved!!!

Originally Posted by MjRodrigues
have you solved the problem? I have the same problem... i think i have a fix for that... the relay itself is stupid and that is normal to happen... cause you always have positive from the 30 pin... when you open the doors the is a ground from the luggage compartment light that activates the relay on 85a pin... i suppose you have the original relay that has a connection before the internal switch... i believe porsche redesigned the relay so it has a connection after the internal switch so it only gets power when you turn on the key (86pin)... i ordered a relay like that and when it arrives ill keep you posted
i swaped the original relay and it is working perfectly...

the original relay has a connection to the 30 line which is battery power instead of the 87 line... since the circuit 85b is connected to the open door switch it works everytime you open the door... with this relay the windows only work when you have the key on the ignition... no more battery drain... if it still does not work for you you must check the key wiring!!!
Old 12-26-2023, 12:45 AM
jaime62729
AutoX

Default Same prib

Originally Posted by MjRodrigues
i swaped the original relay and it is working perfectly...

the original relay has a connection to the 30 line which is battery power instead of the 87 line... since the circuit 85b is connected to the open door switch it works everytime you open the door... with this relay the windows only work when you have the key on the ignition... no more battery drain... if it still does not work for you you must check the key wiring!!!
im having the same issue on my 84 Porsche 944. What relay do I have to change? Can’t seem to figure out which one it is from the relay boxe diagram
Old 12-26-2023, 10:34 AM
orig944
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by jaime62729
im having the same issue on my 84 Porsche 944. What relay do I have to change? Can’t seem to figure out which one it is from the relay boxe diagram
Relay for the early cars is above the accelerator pedal clipped to the heater duct (or something up there.)

Last edited by orig944; 12-26-2023 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 944 electric windows work only when door is open