Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 968 AC Expansion Valve Location?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 PM
JoeMX82
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1993 968 AC Expansion Valve Location?

I have searched but seem to only find 944 threads on this topic. My compressor just quit on me and I am looking to replace it, drier and expansion valve but not sure where the expansion valve is located? From the 944 discussions it seems you might be able to access from under the hood, behind the blower motor - anyone know if this is the case for my 968? Greatly appreciate the help!

Also, any tips on flushing the system? Do you really just flush the condenser or the whole system? Again, any advice / pointers appreciated.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:55 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I need to get after my expansion valve. I read that the best way to reach is is to take the glovebox out and that's what I plan to try first. There are ways to go in via the blower assembly under the hood. If you find the way that involves cutting the grid, read farther for another option.

I just need to replace O rings, I do not think it's worth replacing the valve unless you have a problem with it. I suppose maybe if you blew compressor chunks into the system...
Old 10-10-2018, 06:58 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Never heard of an expansion valve going bad on our cars, curious what symptoms you are getting that you think you need to replace it. It’s a very simple device, made of a sturdy non-rusting metal and with no moving parts, it’s also in a very well protected area away from the elements or anything that can damage it. Regardless, on the late 944 (I’m sure the 968 is identical) you can get to the expansion valve by removing the blower fan assembly. The assembly is held in place by six 8mm bolts and some goop, to remove it you have to remove the bolts, pry it off the goop and disconnect one vacuum line and one electrical connector. The expansion valve sits under the fan assembly on the right-hand side of the car.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:22 AM
JoeMX82
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Never heard of an expansion valve going bad on our cars, curious what symptoms you are getting that you think you need to replace it.
My AC compressor was making a grinding noise over 3k rpm for a period of time so I only used it sparingly under that rpm load but occasionally still heard it grind. Then one day no more grind and no cold air. Tested pressure and compressor is dead (no change when on or off although clutch engages). Not sure if it grenaded or just went out but from googling best way to check is by looking at expansion valve as it would have metal shavings in it and need to be replaced. Also would mean I would need to flush system in which case the valve has to come out to perform the flush. Bit of a nightmare vs just replacing compressor and drier but if there are shavings in the system I’ll be doing all this work and money again. Curious is that logic sounds right to those of you here or if I can check for shavings another way?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:51 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Never heard of an expansion valve going bad on our cars, curious what symptoms you are getting that you think you need to replace it. It’s a very simple device, made of a sturdy non-rusting metal and with no moving parts,

Expansion valves do have moving parts and do fail occasionally.
To the OP, just replace the dryer along with the compressor and call it a day. The dryer should have caught any debris coming from a failing compressor.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
Expansion valves do have moving parts....
Marc is correct, my bad. I’ve been working on too many “modern” systems lately which use orifice tubes (no moving parts) instead of expansion valves.

Quick Reply: 1993 968 AC Expansion Valve Location?