Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Advice Needed For '89 S2: 7" Front/8" Rear (stock Size), or 8" Front/9" Rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 04:14 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Wheel Advice Needed For '89 S2: 7" Front/8" Rear (stock Size), or 8" Front/9" Rear?

https://www.fuchsfelgeusa.com/wheel/...e%2Dfuchs%2D17

The 7/8's are the exact sizes and offsets that came stock on my '89 S2, while the 8/9's would be 3mils added (that is, the wheel would be three mils closer to the inner fender from the stock position) up front and 3mils further inward from the fender in the back. I can't imagine that minor of a difference in offset would be an issue (it's only .12"), but I'm a novice and know nothing, so any experienced opinion is greatly appreciated. Weight difference between the two sets is only a pound, so not much of an problem there, though the larger tires would add some extra weight.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Duke48
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends what you want. I have 7Jx16" front and 8Jx16" tele dials rear for the summer and 7.5Jx17" front and 9Jx17" Migle Miglia Cup1. Car is much more planted with the wider wheels, also I feel that it cares less about potholes etc. it's more like hammer. At the same time this dude uses 15"
teledials and I heard from him that it's less mass to be rotated, car is more nimble.

Personally I would go for 8J and 9J with 225 fronts and 255 rears if you are not competing very often or you are competing on high speed courses.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:07 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to check your math, even though the offset is only 3mm different, the width is an extra +25.4. With the +3mm offset, you have 9.7mm (~3/8") additional toward the outside and 15.7mm (~5/8") additional on the inside. In the front you will have 12.7mm (1/2") each way.

Some modification may be needed to make them fit, though I believe plenty of 944 owners run these widths. Measure twice.

In my opinion, the wheels are all about the look (and the 17" Fuchsfelge have a wonderful look). Do lots of research to make sure it is what you want. Upsizing wheels will not net you a performance gain. Larger wheels = more rotational inertia to get moving and slow down. Wider tires = more contact patch, but only needed for very high performance driving and must be done to suit the driver. The staggered widths of the stock sizes will cause the car to understeer more than a square setup. So it comes down to what your intentions are. Want the look? Go for it. Want performance? Rethink your approach.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Duke48
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may also compare it to factory wheels available for 944: http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php
and what Porsche says about it: https://www.porsche.com/internationa.../tyreapproval/

Last edited by Duke48; 10-02-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:56 PM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Originally Posted by Duke48
Personally I would go for 8J and 9J with 225 fronts and 255 rears if you are not competing very often or you are competing on high speed courses.
Yeah, that's exactly the tire combo I was considering 225 or 35 upfront, and no bigger than 255 in the rear.

Originally Posted by screamin94Z
You need to check your math, even though the offset is only 3mm different, the width is an extra +25.4. With the +3mm offset, you have 9.7mm (~3/8") additional toward the outside and 15.7mm (~5/8") additional on the inside. In the front you will have 12.7mm (1/2") each way.

Some modification may be needed to make them fit, though I believe plenty of 944 owners run these widths. Measure twice.

In my opinion, the wheels are all about the look (and the 17" Fuchsfelge have a wonderful look). Do lots of research to make sure it is what you want. Upsizing wheels will not net you a performance gain. Larger wheels = more rotational inertia to get moving and slow down. Wider tires = more contact patch, but only needed for very high performance driving and must be done to suit the driver. The staggered widths of the stock sizes will cause the car to understeer more than a square setup. So it comes down to what your intentions are. Want the look? Go for it. Want performance? Rethink your approach.
I'm a little confused on the math, which means I probably don't understand ET. But as I comprehend it, ET is the distance from the center of the wheel to the mounting surface, so how does an addition or subtraction of 3mm translate into 9.7mm/15.7mm/12.7mm differences? Where/what is the multiplier in the equation?

As to mass, the 17" Fuchs are actually lighter than stock 16", but obviously the tires are going to weigh more, so it's either a wash or a negative (almost certainly a negative give the weight of tires). But aesthetics is my motivating factor.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

You're right, ET is the difference from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting surface. But you're looking at wider wheels, so you have to lose clearance somewhere. If you have an 8" ET 0 wheel, the face of the wheel is 4" from the mounting surface, and the back of the wheel is 4" from the mounting surface. Now you move up to a 9" wheel, same offset. The face of the wheel is now 4.5" from the mounting surface, or 0.5" closer to the fender, and the back is also 4.5" from the mounting surface, or 0.5" closer to the strut. If it's too close to the strut or hits something inside when turning you can add a spacer or get a wheel with less offset, but that's going to move the wheel closer to the fender. If it is too close to the fender you can get a wheel with more offset, or maybe roll your fender to gain clearance. Got it?
Old 10-03-2018, 01:00 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Got it?
Yes, but I don't understand the previous poster's comments about how +3mils change in ET turns into 10mils at the fender and 15mils at the strut, etc.

Last edited by AkechiMotors; 10-03-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:36 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I blame Jimmy Carter. One inch is 25.4 mm. Your 8/9 setup is 25.4mm wider than a 7/8 setup. So as I explained above, a one inch wider wheel with the same offset is 1/2" closer to the strut, and 1/2" closer to the fender. Or to put it another way, 12.7mm closer to the strut and 12.7mm closer to the fender. Calculate in the change in offset and you have the numbers Screamin came up with above.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:21 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
Yes, but I don't understand the previous poster's comments about how +3mils change in ET turns into 10mils at the fender and 15mils at the strut, etc.
Its not the change in offset, it is the change in width that makes the biggest difference. That extra 25.4mm of width has to go somewhere.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:59 PM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurt R
I blame Jimmy Carter. One inch is 25.4 mm. Your 8/9 setup is 25.4mm wider than a 7/8 setup. So as I explained above, a one inch wider wheel with the same offset is 1/2" closer to the strut, and 1/2" closer to the fender. Or to put it another way, 12.7mm closer to the strut and 12.7mm closer to the fender. Calculate in the change in offset and you have the numbers Screamin came up with above.
Originally Posted by screamin94Z
Its not the change in offset, it is the change in width that makes the biggest difference. That extra 25.4mm of width has to go somewhere.
Oh right - the dim bulb gets it now.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:50 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

If you have non-M030 struts, it is going to be very tight fitting an 8" wheel on the front.

You could measure the existing wheel, and do the math to see if it fits; compensating for how the rolled bead on the wheel extends past the nominal width. You need to leave some room for error because the bead dimension is not going to be identical between all wheels.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:38 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
If you have non-M030 struts, it is going to be very tight fitting an 8" wheel on the front.

You could measure the existing wheel, and do the math to see if it fits; compensating for how the rolled bead on the wheel extends past the nominal width. You need to leave some room for error because the bead dimension is not going to be identical between all wheels.
The previous owner replaced the D90's with Cup II replicas (the Italian ones), 8" in front and 9" in the rear, and they seem to be ok (as far as I can tell...), but I can't find a stamping that indicates what their ET are (I tried putting my phone's camera behind the wheel and just taking blind shots, but none revealed any ET numbers). I think I'm just going to have to take off a front wheel and a rear wheel and take measurements. Or maybe I should just play it safe and go 7/8's, but aesthetically I just like a wider wheel, and it's getting more difficult to find choices in narrow tires.

Quick Reply: Wheel Advice Needed For '89 S2: 7" Front/8" Rear (stock Size), or 8" Front/9" Rear?