Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank stuck after hydrolock (puddle of death)

Old 09-29-2018, 06:46 PM
hagfish118
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank stuck after hydrolock (puddle of death)

Hello all. My name is George I am a plumber by trade but mechanically inclined but not a mechanic. My nephew Hydrolocked his 08 nissan Altima. So far Ive drained the oil which had water in it. About 2 cups or so. Drained Coolant for heck of it. Pulled plugs and intake. Starter will move crank but then sticks. Can move partially by hand Just started penetrating fluid process. Am I wasting my time pros? Also he says car just shut of did not shake or make any crazy noises. He did attempt starting while hydrolocked but at that point elecrtic was wacking out and only made clicking noise no actual turnover. I NEED HELP PLEASE!

Last edited by hagfish118; 09-29-2018 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-29-2018, 08:55 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

If the crank moves by hand but locks up at a certain point, it sounds like a rod is bent and the piston skirt is clashing with a counterweight on the crank. Best of luck

Just FYI this is a Porsche 944 forum
Old 09-29-2018, 09:34 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Your nephew most certainly overheated the engine-a lot-and ignored or was oblivious to it, and blew the head gasket. Just hope that head can be saved by resurfacing it, and that it, or the block, were not cracked in the process of overheating.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:13 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Hagfish, if your nephew has full insurance on the car, the comprehensive (or failing that, the collision) part of his policy will cover this.

Did he have an aftermarket air intake and filter on the car? As typically the stock air box arrangements are designed to prevent this kind of water ingestion.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:33 AM
hagfish118
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Hagfish, if your nephew has full insurance on the car, the comprehensive (or failing that, the collision) part of his policy will cover this.

Did he have an aftermarket air intake and filter on the car? As typically the stock air box arrangements are designed to prevent this kind of water ingestion.
No it's actually the factory one and it has a scoop in front under hood and he went fast through it like a dummy.Tomorrow was thinking to pull oil pan and check for metal because I can move the crank but it locks up but I was able to get it moving back and forth much more late in the day but still hits point where locks up. So my punch list is check pan for metal, see what I can from there and pull tire and get larger breaker bar. Have soaking in penetrating fluid now. What do you think?
Thank you guys
Old 09-30-2018, 12:36 AM
hagfish118
6th Gear

Default I know I'm asking the smart people

Originally Posted by odonnell
If the crank moves by hand but locks up at a certain point, it sounds like a rod is bent and the piston skirt is clashing with a counterweight on the crank. Best of luck

Just FYI this is a Porsche 944 forum
do you think fresh water would seize a cylinder if water was left in it for 5 days because that's how long he waited to tell me I got on it right away
Old 09-30-2018, 12:41 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hagfish118
do you think fresh water would seize a cylinder if water was left in it for 5 days because that's how long he waited to tell me I got on it right away
The initial hydrolock is what would cause mechanical damage, i.e. water got sucked in and now there's a problem. Water does not compress like air does. Rust from water hanging out in the engine isn't good either. Have you tried removing the spark plugs and trying to crank it?
Old 09-30-2018, 12:07 PM
hagfish118
6th Gear

Default I know I'm asking the smart people

Originally Posted by odonnell
The initial hydrolock is what would cause mechanical damage, i.e. water got sucked in and now there's a problem. Water does not compress like air does. Rust from water hanging out in the engine isn't good either. Have you tried removing the spark plugs and trying to crank it?
Yes. I pulled plugs, intake, dropped oil for change, the thing I'm trying to distinguish which I know is impossible to do but would like to know if you have a hydrolocked car that sat w water in cylinders for 5 days would that be enough to seize crank 2. If it can is it normal gain a little movement in the crank if a rod is bent or would it not move period. Starter wont turn crank
Old 09-30-2018, 08:55 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I do not think that's enough time to rust the rings to the block that solid, but maybe if it was salty water or something, More likely it bent a rod. It is possible that an engine with a bent rod will turn part of the way around.
Probably not a big deal to get an altima with a bad trans or wrecked and drop the front subframe with all the rest of it attached.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:11 PM
hagfish118
6th Gear

Lightbulb UPDATE

Originally Posted by hagfish118
Hello all. My name is George I am a plumber by trade but mechanically inclined but not a mechanic. My nephew Hydrolocked his 08 nissan Altima. So far Ive drained the oil which had water in it. About 2 cups or so. Drained Coolant for heck of it. Pulled plugs and intake. Starter will move crank but then sticks. Can move partially by hand Just started penetrating fluid process. Am I wasting my time pros? Also he says car just shut of did not shake or make any crazy noises. He did attempt starting while hydrolocked but at that point elecrtic was wacking out and only made clicking noise no actual turnover. I NEED HELP PLEASE!
So I have an update. I pulled the oil pan and found pieces of a piston, a bent rod almost 45 degrees may be broke, also found little brass tubing pieces with 90 degree angles that look like they are supply tubes for liquid. they are hollow and both snapped about an inch long. doesn't matter at this point but curious if anyone knows what they are. Have pics if needed. Thank you guys. You helped me out and ive never even driven a porche. Bless yall
Old 09-30-2018, 11:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

from the description those tubes sound like piston squirters.

you should keep the bent rod and broken piston to give him as a reminder not to do it again..lol
Old 10-01-2018, 12:27 AM
hagfish118
6th Gear

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
from the description those tubes sound like piston squirters.

you should keep the bent rod and broken piston to give him as a reminder not to do it again..lol
Duct tape them to his forehead lol thx again
Old 10-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel the best course of action for you would be to replace the engine with gently used M44 from the parts for sell section on this web site.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:12 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Swenny
I feel the best course of action for you would be to replace the engine with gently used M44 from the parts for sell section on this web site.
I don't think he's going to find a Nissan engine here. To the OP, did your nephew have one of those AEM noise maker air intakes? Those things like to suck up water too. Personally I'll would junk the car at this point just for the reason of unforseen other problems.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
I don't think he's going to find a Nissan engine here. To the OP, did your nephew have one of those AEM noise maker air intakes? Those things like to suck up water too. Personally I'll would junk the car at this point.
FYI- The M44 was an inline 4 cylinder 2.5 ltr N/A manufactured by Porsche AG of Stuttgart Germany. It featured counter-rotating balance shafts,fuel injection and an ingenious timing belt system that when failed,distroyed the valves in the head. German ingenuity at its finest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crank stuck after hydrolock (puddle of death)