Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels for winter tires? ‘86 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 PM
lacataldo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels for winter tires? ‘86 951

Brand new to Rennlist, signed up 5 minutes ago so forgive me if I’m posting this in the wrong spot. I’m looking to buy a 951 in the next ~4 months for my first car, and have been doing research on all the maintenance and whatnot. I found one for sale near me in good condition, and it even has Fuchs wheels! Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any winter or even all-season tires that will fit the rear wheels. As I intend on using this car as my daily, I was hoping I could get some recommendations for some wheel/tire combos to use for the winter months (I live in NC, and we tend to get some ice). Thanks!
Old 09-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Get the 951 as a second car, or a honda as a second car. A 951 with Fuchs is an 86. If it is another year it has the wrong wheels. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:11 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the reason you're finding issues with finding rear tires is due to the 8" width of the rear Fuchs. I have a similar issue with the 9" club sport wheels.

If I were you, I would be looking for a cheap set of narrow wheels for winter. Narrow wheels generally work better for winter tires as it puts more weight on a smaller footprint and helps the tires "bite". Have you ever seen the snow tires they run in WRC? They look like motorcycle tires. A set of early phone dials or cookie cutters in 7" widths should be cheap and work well for your application. And welcome to RL! Be sure to put up some pics when you get it.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:52 PM
lacataldo
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
I think the reason you're finding issues with finding rear tires is due to the 8" width of the rear Fuchs. I have a similar issue with the 9" club sport wheels.

If I were you, I would be looking for a cheap set of narrow wheels for winter. Narrow wheels generally work better for winter tires as it puts more weight on a smaller footprint and helps the tires "bite". Have you ever seen the snow tires they run in WRC? They look like motorcycle tires. A set of early phone dials or cookie cutters in 7" widths should be cheap and work well for your application. And welcome to RL! Be sure to put up some pics when you get it.
Thanks so much! That’s exactly the kind of info I needed. I guess I’ll look for some phone dials then
Old 09-22-2018, 01:24 AM
kirkandorules
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Having a second set of wheels makes life so much easier. No need to make appointments to get tires changed with the season, or worries about being stuck during an unexpected change in weather. I have a set of 195/65R15 Blizzaks on 15x6 late offset phone dials for the winter, and they've been great. I believe the early offset phone dials are all 7" wide, but according to the internet you should be able to fit the same size tire on those as well (though your speedometer might be off by a hair).
Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Take it from a guy thats had his 944 Turbo since he was 16...don't drive it through the winter. Get another car. I put 120k on my 951, most of it in of it in from HS to college..and the only miles I regret are the ones I put on in the winter. Chasing rust on my previously very clean 951...much more expensive than any mechanical work.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:06 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951
Take it from a guy thats had his 944 Turbo since he was 16...don't drive it through the winter. Get another car. I put 120k on my 951, most of it in of it in from HS to college..and the only miles I regret are the ones I put on in the winter. Chasing rust on my previously very clean 951...much more expensive than any mechanical work.
I tend to agree with this dont drive in Winter thing at least not for too long. I also know letting these cars sit for a month or two tends to cause weird gremlins to show up later. Dead batteries and all that
I was in a situation where I had to drive my previous 89 all year round for about 7 years. My ex took everything but the Porsches. Haha. I found some junkyard rims on ebay and paid pennies on the dollar for them. Exact match of rims then went with slightly higher and thinner michelin alpine ice tires (tire rack or discounttire.com) and new set of those plastic lug nuts for Winter. Make sure you put a sandbag over each wheel in the back, and it will drive just fine like we used to before all these front wheel and 4 wheel drives were marketed to us as a must in Winter.

These cars run excellent in Winter by the way and lots of fun if you know how to drive them.

Also make sure the engine covers are all on the underside of the car.

Luckily someone rearended me 10 years later in broad daylight in mid Summer day and insurance gave me almost 2.5 times what I had bought it for.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by lacataldo
Brand new to Rennlist, signed up 5 minutes ago so forgive me if I’m posting this in the wrong spot. I’m looking to buy a 951 in the next ~4 months for my first car, and have been doing research on all the maintenance and whatnot. I found one for sale near me in good condition, and it even has Fuchs wheels! Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any winter or even all-season tires that will fit the rear wheels. As I intend on using this car as my daily, I was hoping I could get some recommendations for some wheel/tire combos to use for the winter months (I live in NC, and we tend to get some ice). Thanks!
I bought my winter tires some time ago all stock 951 sizes: Michelin Primacy Alpin. They are excellent; no sand bags needed.

These cars are super in winter. Spray some oil umder there and in the body cavaties--very easy access. I use Corrosion Free; it's like a grease

Old 09-22-2018, 09:53 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Lots of good info here. Do they use salt on the roads down there in NC? I know some places down there use sand or other things, but rarely use salt. As others have suggested, a good prep for winter driving goes a long way. I have tired a few different things with varying results. This year I am going to give Fluid Film a try.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:45 AM
lacataldo
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Lots of good info here. Do they use salt on the roads down there in NC? I know some places down there use sand or other things, but rarely use salt. As others have suggested, a good prep for winter driving goes a long way. I have tired a few different things with varying results. This year I am going to give Fluid Film a try.
Yes, they do tend to salt the roads when it gets super cold. I’ll be sure to try out some of these coatings to keep it rust free

Last edited by lacataldo; 09-23-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Canadian armed forces uses CorossionFree; read their study here: https://corrosionfree.com/wp-content...-Text-copy.pdf

I've noticed it stays for a long time. For example, I sprayed into the door cavity but got some on parts that contact the window. Three years later, I haven't sprayed there again but the window still streaks geeeez
Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Canadian armed forces uses CorossionFree; read their study here: https://corrosionfree.com/wp-content...-Text-copy.pdf

I've noticed it stays for a long time. For example, I sprayed into the door cavity but got some on parts that contact the window. Three years later, I haven't sprayed there again but the window still streaks geeeez
That's very cool, thanks for sharing. It's rare to find any empirical data like this for comparison.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:23 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the original cookie cutters for my car wearing Firestone Winterforce tires. I have an aftermarket set for the rest of the year. Agreed, no sand bags needed.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:05 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

New winter tires & weight in the back makes these cars somewhat confidence inspiring and generally a lot of fun, but in severe slippery still not as good as a front drive car for traction Jackson... but I'll be driving my 944 this winter at least part time.
I agree skinny tires are better. I run Blizzaks. They are good but they wear very fast. The tire tech at Costco says Michelin X Ice are the best non studded winter tire because they grip excellent but last longer than the Blizzaks. She said at a winter driving tire test course she was at, the X Ice at 50% wear performed as well as some other brands with full tread.

Nice to hear commentary on corrosion resistance. Rust is cancer
Old 09-26-2018, 01:35 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You’ll need 16”s to clear the front brakes. A 205/225 stagger works well. The NAs are better in the snow with a 195/65/15 vs the 16” setup though.

If you have an LSD it will be great till it breaks away, then you need to be fast. The open diff cars react slower.

Quick Reply: Wheels for winter tires? ‘86 951