Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche won’t start! But no common symptoms of starting issues!

Old 09-18-2018, 12:22 PM
AidanB34
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche won’t start! But no common symptoms of starting issues!

Hello my friends! So I just got this 944. I’m gonna make the long story short, it started over heating while sitting still, but cools back down when the car was moving. I’m legging it back to my house so I can work on it there, but I’m stuck at a light, it starts getting hot again so I turn it off while we’re sitting there. I go to turn it back on, nothing! Lights all turn on, battery voltage is fine, I’ve tried jumping it, nothing! I hear no clicks, no movements or anything happening when I turn that key into ignition to fire it up. Any clue???
Thanks guys!!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

Starter or ignition switch or related wiring. Get testing!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

What happens when you bridge the S terminal and the hot post? That would be the small wire and the big red wire.

NOTE: Be very careful doing this. You will have at least part of your body under the car when cranking the engine over. People have run themselves over doing this.

It should crank the starter. If it does, then it's likely switch issues.

If not, then you at least have a starting point.

I had a very strange issue a month or so ago. No crank, no click. Nothing but a little spark when bridging the terminals. Power to the hot post.
Turned out the 'field wire' that goes from the solenoid to the starter itself had broken.
Fixed that and the starter now works better than ever.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:48 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Starter solenoid sounds like it's overheating. If it starts when cold but not when hot,check the solenoid.-and check to see if your fans are coming on. Mine always come on at stop lights or heavy traffic and the engines runs cool. No fans-check the radiator fan switch in addition to all other coolant system checks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche won’t start! But no common symptoms of starting issues!