Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an 86 Turbo with just over 700 miles

Old 09-17-2018, 02:01 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Excuse me if I missed it, but it just occurred to me that I didn't read that you tried to manually apply vacuum to the line. Mine was originally acting just like yours, I was able to pull the line off the valve and verify it WAS getting vacuum on the line, so I pulled the other end and sucked and sucked and nothing happened. When I replaced it I found the rubber diaphragm inside had rotted away with age, so it was just a open circuit so to say. I don't think anyone is still running on the stocker much anymore, they have just all rotted and cracked. This is all about age. So if yours was never done.... it's likely it's no longer able to hold vacuum.

You could rig up a way to manually keep it closed for now. That might help some with the heat....
Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 AM
Archer911
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I don't know if you enhance your images or what, but man I've never seen the black paint look so deep. It's a mirror. The factory finish on these was superb!
Dan:

It's a combination of things that make this image:
1) The paint is premium 1980s Porsche orange peel and I did bring it to a shop for detailing and they did a great job.
2) I use a Leica M10 with a Leica Summilux 50mm lens. I don't think it gets better than that.
3) I use a B+W circular polarizer on the lens that allows me to cancel certain reflections and allow others.
4) The light Sunday morning was pretty good.

Before I got serious about taking pictures of my cars, about a year ago, I studied what the pros do which lead me to the above camera/lens choice. The rest is just practice.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Try physically tapping on the servo itself. I have had this get stuck and do exactly what you are describing and the opposite. I ended up taking mine apart and cleaning the contact which worked for a bit. I then replaced it and all has been fine for several years now.

If it won't move, I would start there. This is not a super common issue, but does happen.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Archer911
Dan:

It's a combination of things that make this image:
1) The paint is premium 1980s Porsche orange peel and I did bring it to a shop for detailing and they did a great job.
2) I use a Leica M10 with a Leica Summilux 50mm lens. I don't think it gets better than that.
3) I use a B+W circular polarizer on the lens that allows me to cancel certain reflections and allow others.
4) The light Sunday morning was pretty good.

Before I got serious about taking pictures of my cars, about a year ago, I studied what the pros do which lead me to the above camera/lens choice. The rest is just practice.
Ahhh.. I see. They are great photos; kudos to your detailer, camera technique + equipment!
Old 09-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Archer911
Banned

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Try physically tapping on the servo itself. I have had this get stuck and do exactly what you are describing and the opposite. I ended up taking mine apart and cleaning the contact which worked for a bit. I then replaced it and all has been fine for several years now.

If it won't move, I would start there. This is not a super common issue, but does happen.
Tomorrow is the day for more trouble shooting. Thanks for the advice. I hope I can solve the issue as everything else works on the car...
Old 09-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Archer911
Banned

BTW - I hit 1000 miles today. The wife said we needed fresh corn so a drive to the farm stand was the mission.

Break-in period achievement unlocked!!!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Man those gauges look nice. Quickly looked over your pics but but didn't get what you said the color was (black?). My Copenhagen Blue looks black in some light so was curious. Regardless, amazing find. Enjoy!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

BTW - I hit 1000 miles today. The wife said we needed fresh corn so a drive to the farm stand was the mission.

Break-in period achievement unlocked!!!
Your oil pressure gauge shows just under 3bar--I'm assuming it's fully warm? What a relief! I'm used to seeing so many pegged at 4-5 bar that I've always wondered if my bearings were on the way out; I got the same showing as your fresh engine

I see it *is* normal that idle rpm indicates 100rpm off (spec is 840rpm) and the vacuum indicated by the boost gauge at idle is also a welcome sight. I always wonder what these gauges indicated on a brand new car running at operating temperature
Old 09-21-2018, 06:04 PM
Archer911
Banned

Your oil pressure gauge shows just under 3bar--I'm assuming it's fully warm? What a relief! I'm used to seeing so many pegged at 4-5 bar that I've always wondered if my bearings were on the way out; I got the same showing as your fresh engine

I see it *is* normal that idle rpm indicates 100rpm off (spec is 840rpm) and the vacuum indicated by the boost gauge at idle is also a welcome sight. I always wonder what these gauges indicated on a brand new car running at operating temperature
You are correct. Fully warmed up. The temp gauge that I cropped out would have shown that. Glad to hear my numbers are good and so are yours.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:37 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

What grade oil are you running?

160K later & pretty similar except for the slightly "off-red" pointers, faded background, foggy plastic, ....

EDIT: pic taken some time ago (mileage)

Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Archer911
Banned

What grade oil are you running?

160K later & pretty similar except for the slightly "off-red" pointers, faded background, foggy plastic, ....

EDIT: pic taken some time ago (mileage)
As long as our gauges are accurate...

New oil was put in by the shop that prepared the car for sale for the owner a few hundred miles ago. Will check the paperwork tomorrow. I was planning to see if the Porsche Classic oil was compatible. I use it on my 87 air-cooled.
Also doing the transaxle fluid quite soon and was planning to use Swepco.

Any advice much appreciated.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:35 AM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

@Archer911 - congratulations on your find. Some suggestions in keeping your car looking young as the miles grow (as my 86 944 n/a purchased new at 25 miles now has 291,XXX miles):

>Wrap the nose/hood front area with a clear bra (to prevent road rash). Road rash stands out on black paint vs lighter colors.
>Did you get maintenance records from the previous owner? There were a safety recall in the early 90's on the fuel hose in the engine compartment. Was your car updated with this recall?
>Were your rubber coolant lines replaced ? 30+ years on any rubber is questionable for reliability.
>To prevent your light color carpeting from staining due to dirt, etc around the driver and passenger areas, you may want to consider applying a carpet stain protector or covering with a temporary plastic (used with new furniture ....remove it when you show the car).
>The sun will be your # 1 enemy for degrading the interior carpet/color as well as any exterior rubber (bumpers, trim pcs). If you need to park this outside for hours at a time, cover it with a good quality car cover.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

As long as our gauges are accurate...

New oil was put in by the shop that prepared the car for sale for the owner a few hundred miles ago. Will check the paperwork tomorrow. I was planning to see if the Porsche Classic oil was compatible. I use it on my 87 air-cooled.
Also doing the transaxle fluid quite soon and was planning to use Swepco.

Any advice much appreciated.
The Motul oil thread has some great info. I use Liqui-Moly 10w60; very low consumption but I may have erred on too thick side, esp in the winter. I did measure some crankshaft play: within limit on high side.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by DLarsen
@Archer911 - congratulations on your find. Some suggestions in keeping your car looking young as the miles grow (as my 86 944 n/a purchased new at 25 miles now has 291,XXX miles):
You, sir, are an inspiration. If those pics are accurate, your attention to maintenance is admirable. Well done!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought an 86 Turbo with just over 700 miles