Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blaupunkt SQR23 Repair: It Must Be Possible!

Old 08-29-2018, 01:29 AM
Baldkingpin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaupunkt SQR23 Repair: It Must Be Possible!

I have a 1985 944 with 33k original miles. It's show quality, including a pristine dash, window sticker, tools, etc. I posted pics here once in the past. The ONLY thing I can't sort is my Blaupunkt SQR23 radio. It's original to the car, the AM works as does a hidden aux cable I had added so I can play music via my ipod/phone, and all the lights are functioning. However, neither the FM nor cassette work. I had a local car stereo place try to fix it but they couldn't. They're a superb shop I've used for years on modern cars and they said they had "a guy" who they outsource vintage units to who could fix it. He tinkered for nearly six(!) months but couldn't accomplish the repair. They didn't charge me and it's now back in the car.

Frankly, I only use the AM and my phone/iPOD. So, functionally, I'm good and it looks great. However, for the sake of the car, I'd really like the unit fully functional. I've read all the posts here and elsewhere and contacted the referrals. Some didn't respond, one told me I was lucky to have the AM working and he couldn't get parts. Only one outfit, Radioman Repair in San Diego, said they could fix it. However, the owner responds (after a few days) in short one-sentence emails that aren't very comforting. Mostly, I've read their reviews and am reluctant to ship the radio to them since a few people told sad stories of radios returned not working or even damaged beyond their original state.

Does anyone know a reputable person who can source the parts and have the skill/knowledge to fix the unit? Cost is not a big concern. Being without the stereo for another 6 months and having it returned in its' current state (or worse) are my big concerns.

I know the parts are near unobtanium, but I just have to believe there's someone on planet Earth who can fix this. I need to find that person.

Thanks a million in advance for any assistance!

P.S. Not that it matters, but I'm in the SF Bay Area in California. I'd ship anywhere as long I have confidence that the unit won't be damaged beyond its' current state, that the turnaround time won't be months on end and that there's a reasonable probability it can be fixed.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:19 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I’ve heard mention of Vintageblau in NY at PCA meets but by no means take this as an endorsement as I’ve never used them, just passing along.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:38 AM
Baldkingpin
Track Day

Thanks, MAG. Vintageblau was one of the first I contacted b/c I'd also heard very good things about them. Ingo was very cool/responsive and here's the key part of his email reply to me:

"Tapedecks are notoriously hard to repair due to a lack of parts. I’m assuming he can’t find a tape deck sensor or the motor itself. We probably wouldn’t be able to do better ourselves. We’re always happy if we can at least get the AM/FM going again."

I certainly appreciated his candor.

Anyone else have any ideas? Maybe someone in Europe has access to parts?
Old 08-29-2018, 11:47 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I had Creative Car Audio fix a Porsche CR1 and a BMW Euro RDS radio...not sure if they mess with what you have but worth an email, they were very responsive / quick in my 2 dealings.

https://creativecaraudioshop.com/pro...egory/repairs/
Old 09-01-2018, 09:23 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I fixed the buttons and other issues mine had. The tape deck is still semi-inop and I am fine with that. I added an aux input jack and called it a day
Old 11-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Baldkingpin
Track Day

Default BUMP!

Have contacted every shop mentioned in responses, posted on PCA and elsewhere, all to no avail. So, now I'm officially making this a mission. My little 944 just won a regional car show and I owe it to the car to get the original Blaupunkt SQR23 tape deck fully operational. Huge thanks to anyone who can refer me to a reputable shop/person.

I just know there's some old retired German guy with a garage full of Blaupunkt radios and parts, with deep expertise and who loves repairing vintage 70's and 80's units in his spare time. Problem is he doesn't have a website. I gotta find that guy wherever he is on planet Earth.

Cheers!
Old 11-05-2018, 01:04 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you given any thought of finding another radio to use for parts, then send both to a repair shop? I would think most would have the same tape deck built in if they are around the same age.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:36 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Quick look on EBAY showed non working units for $199 and $399 and refurbished ones ranging from $600 to $1100 At those prices I'm glad the one in my 84 works

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blaupunkt SQR23 Repair: It Must Be Possible!