Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Fluid Preventative Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Alex89
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Fluid Preventative Maintenance?

Hi guys, I'm in the process of doing major maintenance on my 951 including all new fluids. Link to build thread. I'm about to bleed in some fresh brake fluid and I was planning to do it the traditional way with a helper pressing the brake pedal while I open the bleeders.

Should I worry about bleeding the clutch cylinders as well at this time? Would I just be able to pump the pedal while the bleeder is open? I don't want to introduce air, but I'm trying to avoid buying the $100 Motive power bleeder for now.

Sorry if this has been discussed, my searching only found guys bleeding new (dry) clutch cylinders, not an old one. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:17 PM
944Time
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you can find pressure bleeders for under $100.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AOZB...888880701.html

And if you ever need to replace the clutch slave, a pressure bleeder is a necessity.

However, for just changing fluid, I think the standard method of pumping pedal would work fine.

P.S. The Motive power bleeder is only $65 at Amazon

Old 08-16-2018, 07:17 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

new coolant and brake fluid every three years usually results in a 20-25 year lifespan of the components. if it is never changed, issues arise about the 10 year mark.

the power bleeder I picked up from ECS was less than 50 bucks or right at it. it will save you a lot of time if you follow the recommended flush interval.

another advantage to pressure bleeding, is not running the seals inside either master past its normal travel.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Alex89
Advanced

Thanks guys, you convinced me. Motive power bleeder should arrive this week.
I hadn't looked on Amazon.com as most items won't ship up to Canukland for a reasonable price; got lucky on this one.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:26 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Time
Personally I don't buy stuff from Amazon. We don't need them getting any bigger then they are already. Besides Pelican got it for $51.95
Old 08-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

You can make a pressure bleeder with a Harbor Freight sprayer and a cheap brake cap, I think this one:
Dorman Brake Master Cylinder Cap, 42035

I filled the air passage with JB weld and added a gasket made out of a circle of junk mail paperboard.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Alex89
Advanced

I spoke too soon - just got an email from the amazon vendor trying to add more shipping costs so forget that.
Pelican would charge $54.75 to ship this to Canada... That's before you convert to Canadian dollars. Welcome to life north of the border.

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
You can make a pressure bleeder with a Harbor Freight sprayer and a cheap brake cap, I think this one:
Dorman Brake Master Cylinder Cap, 42035

I filled the air passage with JB weld and added a gasket made out of a circle of junk mail paperboard.
I love to save money but after I buy the cap ($14) and sprayer ($19) plus whatever for JB weld I'm not saving much for something that probably isn't as good (no gauge, not sure how the sprayer will handle brake fluid).
Any other suggestions? I'm already about to place an order at Paragon and the shipping cost doesn't change if I add the Motive bleeder so I'll probably just order it from them.

Side question: if I order a silicone vacuum line kit from Paragon do I need to order anything else to go with it? Check valves or anything? I'm planning to do a DIY venturi delete. Thanks.

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I run the power bleeder dry. Do not feel a pressure gauge is needed.
$8 for the cap plus $15 (-20%) for the sprayer plus a hose barb and 1/20th of a $3 pack of JB Quick= under $25 but hey it's your money.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:18 PM
944Time
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone ever used this style vacuum bleeder?

$20 on Amazon or, for the Amazon Haters, $18 on Aliexpress.

It looks like it uses compressed air to create vacuum via the venturi effect.
I wonder if it needs massive airflow to create a decent vacuum, or if a standard el-cheapo compressor will be sufficient.

Here is another style, a bit more money but nicer valve:

Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Alex89
Advanced

I actually just ordered one of the pneumatic vacuum ones today based off a similar discussion I had on a 944 Facebook group; one of the guys was recommending them. For $30 Canadian it’s worth a try to me. I’ll post a follow up once I try it out.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:56 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I prefer pressure bleeding, air bubbles are smaller under pressure and I have not gotten a good seal around the bleeders to vacuum bleed.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:42 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I bought my Motive from this guy: http://www.wheelwax.ca/dir/index.html

Very reasonably priced, nice fellow, and local (Vaughan).

I only wish I bought the smaller one; the big one is too big!
Old 08-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wal-Mart has the pneumatic bleeder on its website. Screw Amazon.Amazon would just "bleed you" . LOL!

90-120 psi

Two containers come with it (filler bottle and disposal)

Once you get past the mispelled chinese all is good long time.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:21 PM
Alex89
Advanced

Originally Posted by 944Time
Has anyone ever used this style vacuum bleeder?

I decided to order one of these from Amazon.ca (link). I tried it out last night and it is actual junk. Not sure if I got a bad one or what, but with the air pressure at 120psi it barely generated any vacuum at all, hardly enough to even lift a piece of blue shop towel off my bench. I went ahead and hooked it to my caliper and managed to pull a couple drops of fluid over a minute or so before I gave up. The brake fluid never reached the tank. And it cycled my 13 gallon compressor a couple times in the process, so even if it worked it would be a challenge for a lot of amateurs to supply enough air.

The blue fluid in the line is the total amount I was able to draw out before quitting. Luckily amazon does very easy returns so I'm sending it back today and will be ordering a Motive 0100 Power Bleeder from Pelican as I should have in the first place. I found a company that will import stuff for me from the US for a big discount so that should help me out going forward.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:18 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex89
I decided to order one of these from Amazon.ca (link). I tried it out last night and it is actual junk. Not sure if I got a bad one or what, but with the air pressure at 120psi it barely generated any vacuum at all, hardly enough to even lift a piece of blue shop towel off my bench. I went ahead and hooked it to my caliper and managed to pull a couple drops of fluid over a minute or so before I gave up. The brake fluid never reached the tank. And it cycled my 13 gallon compressor a couple times in the process, so even if it worked it would be a challenge for a lot of amateurs to supply enough air.

The blue fluid in the line is the total amount I was able to draw out before quitting. Luckily amazon does very easy returns so I'm sending it back today and will be ordering a Motive 0100 Power Bleeder from Pelican as I should have in the first place. I found a company that will import stuff for me from the US for a big discount so that should help me out going forward.
+1000, vacuum bleeder are junk, tried one am d returned it to NAPA, got full refund

Quick Reply: Clutch Fluid Preventative Maintenance?