Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stiff shift into 2nd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

1st to 2nd (and 3rd to 2nd) shift in my '88 stock 951 has always been a bit dodgy and I've owned the car from 69k miles on. All other shifts are a pleasure, no matter how fast or slow I'm at it.

Seems pretty common
Old 08-01-2018, 12:14 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Hey Scott, looks like you got your wrong key problem fixed.
Well, no, not exactly. You can be sure I'll alert the media when that's done I'm away from the shop this month in Big Basin. I'm actually working on upgrading my 928 to use PorKen's S300 fuel map in preparation for moving it to the Paso shop too. It was time to replace the fuel lines and so I've been tracking down replacements through Roger Tyson and Tom at 928 International. I have the upgraded fuel pressure regulator so I'm about ready on that project.

I'm mostly asking other folks about the 944 AOS transmission to see if this is sort of normal, it sounds like it is, which is depressing since it's going to cost me lap time at the track. If there were a way to smooth it out I'd be up for considering it.

Originally Posted by jhowell371
My S2's 1st to second shift is also stiff, slow or whatever. It never grinds but it doesn't shift as slick as 2nd to 3rd on up. I usually never floor mine in first gear because you wind thru it in the blink of an eye and face that slow shift to second. I just get it rolling in first and shift into second and floor it and let the 3 liter's torque go to work First gear is like a granny gear in an S2, almost unneeded. These things don't seem to like being speed shifted like an old Muncie 4 speed. Fifty years ago I used to shift my 4 speed 396 Chevy with my right foot jammed to floor. Still have a toothless input gear from such shenanigans kicking around somewhere, it made a good clutch alignment tool over the years for those 1 hour clutch changes, best record was 45 minutes
You're now into untrodden territory for me. I do, most certainly, understand letting that 3 liter's torque go to work and I'm slowly learning to understand 1st gear is sort of useless on this car, but my Germanic heritage pushes me to make it work right anyway It's hard to explain.

Thanks for relating the experience. It adds to my suspicion my transmission isn't broken; that's just the way it is.

Regards,
Old 08-01-2018, 12:18 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
1st to 2nd (and 3rd to 2nd) shift in my '88 stock 951 has always been a bit dodgy and I've owned the car from 69k miles on. All other shifts are a pleasure, no matter how fast or slow I'm at it.

Seems pretty common
As more reports roll in, the more I tend to agree; it seems pretty common. Not broken in other words.

If that's the case, everyone else driving one of these cars on any track I attend will be limited in the same way, so there's no real worry.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:31 AM
scotts911e
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My 89 has been grinding 2nd since I bought it 7 yrs ago it shifts fine until the oil get up to temperature!
Old 08-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 68 Posts

I have a similar problem with my ‘89 S2. It also had a short shift kit installed just before I got it, so I don’t know how it compares. I had a bad clutch master cylinder too that I hoped would “help” and it did slightly. So far for track use, I just need to be super focused on the shift into 2nd. Watching the thread.

p.s. I am in the Bay Area and it sounds like you’ve gathered some good Porsche’s resources around here, would you happen to have a list? I’ve had my S2 since January and I am still gathering resources.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:35 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

the fore and aft movement adjustment of the shifter is accomplished at the shifter. this movement moves one of the shifter forks.

the rotational adjustment is at the transmission. this movement selects which rod. there are *****, springs and detents that inhibit two rods being selected at the same time.

when adjusted properly, the at rest position is perpendicular to the cross section of the tunnel and leaning back 5 degrees or 85 degrees with respect to the length of the tunnel.

post a picture of the shifter from the rear seat looking toward the dash with the boot pulled up.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Miggytosh
I have a similar problem with my ‘89 S2. It also had a short shift kit installed just before I got it, so I don’t know how it compares. I had a bad clutch master cylinder too that I hoped would “help” and it did slightly. So far for track use, I just need to be super focused on the shift into 2nd. Watching the thread.

p.s. I am in the Bay Area and it sounds like you’ve gathered some good Porsche’s resources around here, would you happen to have a list? I’ve had my S2 since January and I am still gathering resources.

Well there are two of us now.

My absolute best resource in the Bay Area is one I wouldn't gladdly mention in public; please send me a PM for details. I can't put you under non-disclosure, but I can, at the very least, prevent it from becoming a matter of permanent public record?

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 08-02-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: punctuation.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Oh hell. It's EASY Auto Salvage. Emmeryville CA. You twisted my arm though! Yep. Definitly. Now what do we do?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
post a picture of the shifter from the rear seat looking toward the dash with the boot pulled up.
Thom, far be it from me to suggest a shifter, with 'er boot pulled up, looking toward the dash, would in any way compromise the sensibilities of anyone, but I must decline.

Scounderal.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 08-02-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

it is a turnbuckle at the trans that adjusts the side to side position of the shifter. if its out of adjustment, it may be trying to select two shift rods at the same time.

kinda like the tail shift 901s in the early 914s when the chassis flex made it interesting to select gears. I believe the side shifter was '73 on which was a great improvement.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

it is a turnbuckle at the trans that adjusts the side to side position of the shifter. if its out of adjustment, it may be trying to select two shift rods at the same time.

kinda like the tail shift 901s in the early 914s when the chassis flex made it interesting to select gears. I believe the side shifter was '73 on which was a great improvement.
I don't suppose there's any chance you might go into greater detail? Because this little titbit is intreguing and it has a certain lack of actionable procedure... ?

Best Regards, as always,
Old 08-03-2018, 07:58 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

shifter adjustment is in the workshop manual.

post a picture.

if the shifter leans towards the drivers side, shorten the turnbuckle. if it leans toward the passenger side, lengthen it.

the bottom pivot buried in the console has slotted mounts to adjust the front to rear inclination to 85 degrees. if the shifter is straight up, slide the base forward. this entails removing the shift rod to access the rear bolt.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:30 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

First to second always feels a bit difficult in these transmissions, which I attribute to 1) the relatively large difference in revs, 2) the fact that it's the one gear change we can be aggressive with in daily driving without risking arrest. Patience, timing, and let the gearbox warm up. Cheers,
Old 08-05-2018, 03:24 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

shifter adjustment is in the workshop manual.

post a picture.

if the shifter leans towards the drivers side, shorten the turnbuckle. if it leans toward the passenger side, lengthen it.

the bottom pivot buried in the console has slotted mounts to adjust the front to rear inclination to 85 degrees. if the shifter is straight up, slide the base forward. this entails removing the shift rod to access the rear bolt.
Hi Thomas -

I may have to wait awhile before I can post a picture, the car is in Paso Robles now and I'm up in Santa Cruz getting the 928 ready to move. I'm sort of sure I get your message anyway though, the WSM is pretty clear on positioning the shifter during re-installation, I hope I followed the instructions carefully, though for some reason I thought the measure was 87 degrees instead of 85? Machts nicht, ich glaube. Zwie Grad?

I don't remember seeing a turnbuckle near the shifter itself, or on the transaxle? Not sure about this. I'll check again when I get back.

Thanks,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 08-05-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:26 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KevinGross
First to second always feels a bit difficult in these transmissions, which I attribute to 1) the relatively large difference in revs, 2) the fact that it's the one gear change we can be aggressive with in daily driving without risking arrest. Patience, timing, and let the gearbox warm up. Cheers,
Hi Kevin -

That's what I was trying to confirm. If this is a well known characteristic of the transaxle then I have nothing to be concerned about. I have let the gearbox warm up I think but I haven't noticed a cold/warm difference. I do have a trans. cooler on it though so maybe I haven't run it long enough to really warm it up?

Regards,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 08-05-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Stiff shift into 2nd?