Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What To Do While Dash Is Out?

Old 07-25-2018, 05:46 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts
Default What To Do While Dash Is Out?

Hello,

I've got the dash out of my '84 and am trying to take care of anything and everything I can think of as long as I have access to the otherwise inaccessible. So far I've gotten the radiator fan resistor, ignition switch, heater core, A/C expansion valve, A/C blower motor, A/C blower motor resistor, and a bunch of foam in varying sizes to replace all the dry rotted stuff everywhere. I also plan to yank out the A/C hoses and rebuild them with barrier type hose for R134a. It looks like that part of it may have to wait until the engine is pulled for that part, however. Anything else I should add?

Attached are a few pics of what I've gotten myself into...

Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

Boy, that sure looks familiar! Here are 2 links with my contribution to your cause. And it is a noble cause indeed.

https://newhillgarage.com/2017/01/04...d-kill-switch/

https://newhillgarage.com/2017/01/26...refurbishment/

The only thing specific that I would recommend to to replace that vacuum actuator that shows up in one of your pictures with a new part, if they can be had. You'll never forgive yourself if that guy fails 6 weeks after you get everything put back together.

Now, you owe me an answer. How exactly did the developers get permission in CA of all places to build a community of cul-de-sac waterfront properties out there in the middle of the valley??? The Google Earth shot of Discovery Bay is a real eye opener.

Last edited by harveyf; 07-25-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added something
Old 07-25-2018, 11:26 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harveyf
Boy, that sure looks familiar! Here are 2 links with my contribution to your cause. And it is a noble cause indeed.

https://newhillgarage.com/2017/01/04...d-kill-switch/

https://newhillgarage.com/2017/01/26...refurbishment/

The only thing specific that I would recommend to to replace that vacuum actuator that shows up in one of your pictures with a new part, if they can be had. You'll never forgive yourself if that guy fails 6 weeks after you get everything put back together.

Now, you owe me an answer. How exactly did the developers get permission in CA of all places to build a community of cul-de-sac waterfront properties out there in the middle of the valley??? The Google Earth shot of Discovery Bay is a real eye opener.
Thank you for the links! The whole impetus for this project is the installation of a new dash purchased from Werk924. I will check the availability of the vacuum actuators and see what I find.

As for how Discovery Bay came to be, I can only assume it was because of when, which is back in the 70s when such projects were less of a problem, and I'm sure some $$$ was used to grease the wheels of getting approval. The waterways here aren't much of an attraction for me, as I work six days a week and don't have time for that kind of stuff. And even on the occasion when I do, the water is pretty stagnant and not very appealing. Plenty people here go out on their boats and water skis, swim, and all of that, but we very often get warnings to stay out of the water because of algae blooms...I will say one thing about living near the water, it's awesome if you like spiders! The water serves as a home for all sorts of flying bugs, which in turn are prayed upon by spiders, so unless you're super fastidious, you're home will be covered in spider webs under all the eves, and by any exterior light you have on at night...But hey, it was cheap, and the place is pretty clean and not too much riff-raff in the area, so it works for us.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

take the evaporator to a rad shop and have them pressure test it just in case.

you can use carb cleaner or brake cleaner to back-flush the expansion valve.

replace all the AC o rings.

as for the vaccum servo, all it does is close the flapper door when at WOT, to keep air from flowing through the evaporator core. it keeps the evaporator core cold because at WOT the AC compressor shuts off. when you back off the throttle it opens again and the air is instantly cold again instead of a delay. i took my servo and flapper off entirely - not really noticeable down "south" here.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:26 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts
Smile

See, you got some useful info from V2 instead of my wild *** guesses

Let us know how the Werk924 dash replacement effort goes. I have always heard they had dashes but don't remember any actual feedback here on Rennlist. Shipping is probably going to take your breath away. I bought 2 meters of Porsche script fabric from them and the shipping was worse than I expected. That was DHL airfreight. Maybe there is a "by boat" option, I don't know.

<it's awesome if you like spiders! > Actually I do like spiders. But my granddaughters are so sure about them!

Good luck with the project.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:04 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
take the evaporator to a rad shop and have them pressure test it just in case.

That's a good idea, and I will look into having that done.

you can use carb cleaner or brake cleaner to back-flush the expansion valve.

I got a new one, just to be safe.

replace all the AC o rings.

Yep, got 'em. 944Online sells a kit that has all the ones you'd need.

as for the vaccum servo, all it does is close the flapper door when at WOT, to keep air from flowing through the evaporator core. it keeps the evaporator core cold because at WOT the AC compressor shuts off. when you back off the throttle it opens again and the air is instantly cold again instead of a delay. i took my servo and flapper off entirely - not really noticeable down "south" here.
That makes sense, but unless it's known to be an aggravating fault, I'm going to try and keep it as stock as possible. But I do wonder why they would bother with such a feature as the A/C can't use more than a horsepower or two, and it wouldn't make a difference on anything but a track car. Of course if it were a track car you wouldn't even bother with A/C at all.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

AC can eat 8-10 hp on a really hot day with an inefficient system.

on my Subaru there's a noticeable "kick" in acceleration when you turn off the AC button, lol
Old 07-27-2018, 05:16 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Good time to clean the dust out of the vents and air ducts. Also good time to add any wiring that you've been meaning to, like for a stereo or keyless entry, etc.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:02 AM
Swanson11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to pull the dash on my '91 S2. I'd like to pretty much inspect, replace and refurbish anything/everything. What do you guys recommend for a Late 944 in addition to what's on Tempest's list?
Old 07-27-2018, 09:00 AM
pete968/928
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the drain hoses for the sunroof.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:40 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pete968/928
Check the drain hoses for the sunroof.
I haven't got one
Old 07-27-2018, 03:28 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf

That's a easy one Harvey, you pay the right politician off!
Old 07-27-2018, 04:59 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Another good one to do: clean (or at least check) the ground points above the fuse box on the early car. I don't know if late cars have ground points there, since the sheetmetal changed to bring the fusebox up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What To Do While Dash Is Out?