Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 owner, right into the deep end

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:04 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by lamrith
I certainly hope it is not $4k, we are not looking for a full restore at this point. Just a safe running vehicle with allot of class that we can work on. Maybe in time as he gets closer to graduation we will go for the full monty.

I might get him an account here, he is only 15, and last thing I want is him seeing all your guys cars and power mods etc and wanting to dial her up, he is already a big of a motorhead.
Let him get his feet wet. Yes he will be tempted but he will also get a huge dose of reality.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:49 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got a few days it was not to hot in garage. Cleaned up front of engine, new belts, pulley's, balancer and crank shaft seals, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc.

Got everythign timed in easy enough, balancers set. Crank torqued to 155lbft.
oil filter housing still had oil in it when I swapped it. filled with fresh oil today and fired it, car started right up and idled nice and smooth. Ran quiet no lifter noise, or anything out of norm, Ran for about a min or two and I noticed the oil press light was on and was not showing pressure. I shut down. Went under the car and had son fire it up. I tinkered with wires a bit, tightened one of them and he said it jumped up and sat a 1, but the oil light was still on.

Any thoughts on what to do next? Is there a way to test the sender? maybe air pressure from air compressor?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:07 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great thread! Are you familiar with Clark's Garage yet? There's an article here that may help diagnose your low oil pressure indicated situation:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/lube-03.htm
Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I would get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and put it where the sending unit plugs in. Get a real oil pressure reading and verify things are good and then diagnose the sending unit and wiring.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:22 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I would get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and put it where the sending unit plugs in. Get a real oil pressure reading and verify things are good and then diagnose the sending unit and wiring.
I was considering that until I saw how big the threads are on the sensor. Anyone know what the thread size is so I can get a proper fitting?

I am hoping that since it sat for a few weeks with no oi in it at all that the pump just lost prime and I can pull the filter put oil down the center opening and get it to catch again.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:00 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Quick update with great news. Fought getting the oil filter back off and poured oil down the center till it over flowed 2x. put filter back on, pulled DME and cranked it a couple times for 15-20seconds. I did not see pressure come up, but put DME back in and fired it up. After idling for 15seconds the oil pressure twitched then climbed to 4.5bar.

What a relief!

I let it idle for a couple min checking for leaks, letting it cook off some of the oily hand residue. I replaced one of the brake pad sensors last week and the warning had still been on. So the best part about firing up today is that the dash is now dark, no warning lights at all!

Next is figuring out how to slide the new bushings on the front swaybar. I have a feeling it is going to be a bugger with the rubber sticking to the bar and not wanting to slide. I might try and use the soapy water trick.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:52 PM
lamrith
Instructor

The hits keep coming, and not in a good way.

My son has been driving the car around the area every chance he gets. Store trips with mom, etc. A week ago they decided to take it on a freeway run. About 20min out then the same back. Got home, and idled in driveway a min while wife got out. Coolant all over the driveway, scooted into garage and it puked again. Looked like it was coming from the cap itself as well as the overflow tube. The Expansion tank cap should have a rubber seal around the main body and the tank correct, plus the one for the valve itself? On the one that came with the car the only rubber is the valve, so once that opened then coolant vented all around the cap and tank. Meanwhile I though I saw coolant from under the timing cover so I pulled that open, but did not see anything.

Left the upper timing cover off and had them drive it on a shopping run, with strong statement to watch the engine temp. I get a call an hour and half later that they are on the side of the road... I brace for them to say it got hot, overheated, they heard a pop and engine shut off, etc, etc..

They tell me they are unable to shift into any gear. And the shifter is flopping around funny. Thankfully we have local towing as part of our insurance policy, and they are only 4 miles away. I head that way, yeah shifter is all floppy, so I grab the groceries and frozen goods and haul home. Wife updates that tow is 40min+ away so I unload and grab a few tools and head back to them, get there same time as the flatbed so I said heck with it and had them haul it home. Spent a few min figuring out how to get under shifter boot and finally get it open, sure enough the linkage fell off shifter. No C-clip to be found, shifter is all worn out.

Found a few threads here and elsewhere on the bolt replacement so placed an order with McMaster Carr. No idea how long that is going to take to arrive. :-/

The more I am around this car the more I realize it was poorly maintained and abused, just been one thing after another and not what I had hoped for his 1st car as who knows when or where the next gremlin will be. Concerned about it being reliable to get him to/from school, or anyplace he needs to go at this point.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:13 PM
benchod
Intermediate

The hits keep coming, and not in a good way.

My son has been driving the car around the area every chance he gets. Store trips with mom, etc. A week ago they decided to take it on a freeway run. About 20min out then the same back. Got home, and idled in driveway a min while wife got out. Coolant all over the driveway, scooted into garage and it puked again. Looked like it was coming from the cap itself as well as the overflow tube. The Expansion tank cap should have a rubber seal around the main body and the tank correct, plus the one for the valve itself? On the one that came with the car the only rubber is the valve, so once that opened then coolant vented all around the cap and tank. Meanwhile I though I saw coolant from under the timing cover so I pulled that open, but did not see anything.

Left the upper timing cover off and had them drive it on a shopping run, with strong statement to watch the engine temp. I get a call an hour and half later that they are on the side of the road... I brace for them to say it got hot, overheated, they heard a pop and engine shut off, etc, etc..

They tell me they are unable to shift into any gear. And the shifter is flopping around funny. Thankfully we have local towing as part of our insurance policy, and they are only 4 miles away. I head that way, yeah shifter is all floppy, so I grab the groceries and frozen goods and haul home. Wife updates that tow is 40min+ away so I unload and grab a few tools and head back to them, get there same time as the flatbed so I said heck with it and had them haul it home. Spent a few min figuring out how to get under shifter boot and finally get it open, sure enough the linkage fell off shifter. No C-clip to be found, shifter is all worn out.

Found a few threads here and elsewhere on the bolt replacement so placed an order with McMaster Carr. No idea how long that is going to take to arrive. :-/

The more I am around this car the more I realize it was poorly maintained and abused, just been one thing after another and not what I had hoped for his 1st car as who knows when or where the next gremlin will be. Concerned about it being reliable to get him to/from school, or anyplace he needs to go at this point.
So sorry to hear that you are having some difficulties so early in your ownership. I would highly recommend you get the only944.com short shifter kit. It takes all the slop out of the shifter and is a very high quality engineered piece.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:30 PM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone with extensive Porsche 944-951-968 repair experience & expertise told me that the Porsche 944 NA is still simple enough to be worked on by Joe Average. So you should be able to get it up and running eventually. That's the good news. Whether or not it's cost-efficient to spend serious coin on an old Porsche 944 is a whole nother question!

Last edited by MN; 08-20-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:19 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Thanks guys. I will say overall (especially compared to Japanese auto's of similar or newer vintage) it is pretty straight forward to work on. A Good nuts and bolts type of car.

However, I now noticed a clunk in the rear on bumps as well, headlights are stuck on highbeams, headlights suddenly do not fully close (make it 3/4way). Needs a windshield (lowest quote $550 as it has antenna).. Yeah the financial side it starting to add up. The even bigger concern is when (or will) the issues stop popping up that make the car unable to be driven and strand it on the side of the road.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:14 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

..... Yeah the financial side it starting to add up. The even bigger concern is when (or will) the issues stop popping up that make the car unable to be driven and strand it on the side of the road.
Its a 30+ year old car with high mileage and dubious maintenance history. It’s never going to be reliable unless it has every assembly looked at and repaired/replaced. It took me over 3 years and about $6k to get mine to the point of being a reliable daily driver and that didn’t include paint or interior. These are reknown wyit cars that mount up the costs on the simplest jobs even if you diy everything, just be thankful you don’t have a turbo
Old 08-20-2018, 05:41 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 171 Posts

I put my oldest son in a 1987 924S and there were always little things happening with it. Oldest son got fed up and enjoyed driving my Cayenne when the 924S was down. Oldest Son now has a Toyota 4Runner and is done with P-Cars but has started doing maintenance work on his Toyota so I'm happy.

Younger brother loved the idea of a Porsche and is committed and working through the 1987 924S with me for an engine install and re-start by end of 2018. He will be 16 in March of 2019.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're going to put more into that car than it is worth. However, the memories I'm creating with my youngest son, I would pay a WHOLE LOT more for

Good luck! (link to project in my signature)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:28 PM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are known knowns. There are things we know we know.

We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know.

But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don’t know we don’t know.

Donald Rumsfeld

Could have been said in regard to a Porsche 944, or for that matter, any thirty plus year car!
Old 08-21-2018, 03:56 PM
lamrith
Instructor

Thanks guys. I knew the car was going to need some love. No stranger to old cars, had a '78mgb, then a '86 636CSi. Both high miles, I got the 635 with 240k on her and daily drove it for 2 years.

This car just been a bit of a disappointment in terms of significant mechanical issues I am finding the hard way and the $ bill associated with it.

Damn good looking car though and when running the sounds, feel and experience are definitely top notch.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:12 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMHO get him something else newer to drive. These are great hobby cars. When they need repair you park it, order what you need, and take your time to repair. Otherwise you pay top dollar for lesser quality, local parts-if they even have it and rush to repair. And went you rush, well you know the rest.

Last edited by marc abrams; 08-21-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: New 944 owner, right into the deep end