Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:50 AM
Ed Petry
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler

Hi everyone,

Hopefully everyone is enjoying driving season.
I have looked around and not found an answer to an issue I am working on (think of it as a quest). My 1988 944 rear spoiler is showing a bit of age.Not bad and it is definitely in good shape for the age but it is time to start taking care of it.As we know it is rubber, not plastic or vinyl or something else. I have not been able to find a product that is made for this application. My question is: what is the best way to treat / preserve / coat the rubber?My concern is I see nothing in-store or online that specifically states it is for rubber (other than tire shine products).The products available all state they are for vinyl, plastic and the like.Is it as simple as coating the spoiler with petroleum grease or is that not what should be used?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:30 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Mother's Back-to-Black, Meguiars Ultimate Black or 303 Aerospace Protectant. All of them will do the trick but none of them last all that long. Maybe a few weeks at best but they do work.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:20 PM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Look for a product called "Gummi Pflege" it is a rubber specific conditioner meant for weather seals. I have used it with great results on the door and hatch seals but never done the spoiler with it.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-plastic-r...k-aerosol.html

Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer Matte Black Aerosol

Item #15089Z Brand: Eastwood

Eastwood's Plastic Resurfacer Aerosol will restore and resurface your plastics, returning the materials to their original luster. Not just another wipe-on coating--this is a permanent repair!
  • Passed 2500 hours of ASTM D4587 QUV testing
  • 7+ years of UV resistance
  • Not just a temporary fix, apply once and you're done
  • Permanently restores automotive plastics
While most competitor products are only temporary solutions that sit on the surface, Eastwood's Plastic Resurfacer is a permanent repair. This resurfacer is not simply another plain paint or wipe-on coating, it gets deep within the plastic to re-flow the plastic and restore that factory finish look!

Warning: This is a potent product which re-flows the plastic surface and adds back color that the sun has faded away, mask around all areas to be treated and follow all safety guidelines in instructions.

With 7 year UV resistance, this is not just another black paint or wipe on coating! Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer actually reflows and resurfaces all faded and chalky exterior matte black plastic automotive parts and bedliner material leaving a factory fresh, deep black finish. It passed 2500 hours of ASTM D4587 QUV testing, that's equal to 7 years in the hot baking sun without fading. unlike many wipe on products It actually etches and reflows the surface embedding black resins into the substrate and maintaining the original texture. Compatible with all automotve plastics and urethanes.

Ensure surface is clean and free of debris. Wash with soap and water, let dry. For really dirty surfaces with embedded contaminants, use SEMs Plastic Prep. Shake can for 2 minutes. Hold can 8 to 10 inch from surface, apply in light coats waiting 5 to 10 minutes bewteen coats. Apply until complete coverage is acheived 2 to 4 coats. Do not apply heavily, allow the surfacer to penetrate the substrate.

And NO, I don't work for them, but this resurfacer (NOT PAINT) works great.
I included the description since some users can't open the link in their browsers.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:15 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was a kid I raced slot car's at slot car tracks. I wonder if there's any slot car tracks left? Anyhow wintergreen was very popular for softening the rubber tires. Probably works good on all rubber. I liked the way it smell too.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:17 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
When I was a kid I raced slot car's at slot car tracks. I wonder if there's any slot car tracks left? Anyhow wintergreen was very popular for softening the rubber tires. Probably works good on all rubber. I liked the way it smell too.
Ah, the good ol' days: slot cars and Oil of Wintergreen. Thanks for the memory!
Old 06-05-2018, 08:26 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Simoniz makes a pretty good product. Best yet, it comes in a small size so you aren't left with a 10 year supply.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:06 PM
jkotek
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve used a heat gun on faded plastics that worked great I wonder if that would help here?

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler