Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saving an 83 944. My first Porsche too!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

Aaron,

Looks like you have a great start! I did notice that in your original picture of the engine bay, the car was definitely at least partially repainted at some point (overspray apparent). You may want to check panel gaps and see if there was any evidence of a front end accident. Not likely - repaint was probably due to rock chips on nose panel.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

While the tank is out did you check for the cracks that develop on the top? This is a very common failure so it is important to verify if you have not already done it. Check this thread.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...eaks-read.html
Old 07-26-2019, 08:26 PM
AaronM
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small update

Just got the 944 out about 2 weeks ago. The weather here in Cleveland area has been dreadful. Went to start and it wouldn't of course. Turned out to be the dme relay. Also had a bit of a heat issue. It would run up the red line on the temp gauge and not come down very much once the fans came on. Took out the thermostat and problem was solved. Going to check the thermostat over the weekend to see if we had a bad one. Drove it for about 15 mins to see if it got hot but it stayed around the half way line. Nice to drive it even for just the 15 mins.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:07 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So glad to see another early 944 getting some love. Thanks for doing the right thing.....

I own an '82 built car as well, made in July of 1982. It came with FUCHS, Sport Seats, LSD, and a few more 'good' options. Guards red and black full leather seats.
There are certainly many, MANY things which are peculiar to these early Porsches, as running changes gave the model an updated refinement to cure problems, and to bring them out of the shadows of the 924 from which they came.

An avid enthusiast who also appears here from time to time is Dave, also known as mazdaverks7. He lives in Vermillion, Ohio and has owned a number of normally aspirated 944s. Send him a message and get to know him; a Great guy and always willing to lend some advice or encouragement. He is a serious gear-head and has experience as an Automotive Tech.

Best Wishes on your journey; Great cars lead to great new friends and experiences.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Dear Aaron: Thanks for sharing your progress with us about your project. If you would be so kind as to give me a bit of help as to scoping out a couple of things, I could really use the help.. The first one is about the E-brake cables and how they hook up to the rear suspension in the little forward facing clips. I have all the new parts to go on, but it's been too long since I took them apart and I can't remember how they all go back together. As you move forward in the project and start taking the clutch master out, I need help with a small spring and it's attachment point. Not a big deal at this time, though. The help would be appreciated, though. Thanks, we '83 types need to stick together!Let me know what I can do to help your project move forward!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:27 AM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Aaron,
Nice to hear that your car is running & rolling!!
Old 08-24-2019, 01:33 PM
AaronM
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Tiger I haven't been on in a while. I don't think I'll be much help right with your questions. I haven't had to do anything with the clutch yet. It pills hard with no slipping, and the pedal is near perfect for us. As for the ebrake, I was going to start tackling that soon. I thought I had some bad bearings in the rear, there was a growl when driving. So I took the wheels off yesterday and ran it while up on stands- it was the ebrake dragging. So I'm thinking of rebuilding the ebrake system. This is going to be a driver and I think it would be helpful to have one that works. If you want pics of how my ebrake is set up I can snap a couple pics for you.

Quick Reply: Saving an 83 944. My first Porsche too!