Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird LJET fuel delivery issue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:55 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey everyone. Before I forget I wanted to give a huge shout out and thank you to Tim over at Comeu Racing in SanDiego. He’s been very helpful, stayed on the phone with me for over a half hour the day I was stuck out in Scottsdale helping me trouble shoot the car. I’d also like to thank everyone here that has replied the Porsche community is so awesome. Again thanks all.

Regards

Jake.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:48 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Quick update for anyone still interested in this thread. Inspected all 4 spark plugs after re reading this whole thread and considering everyones helpful suggestions. Black carbon fouled plugs and a constant start up after removing the fuel pump fuse leads to one definite answer. The fuel pressure is too high. I don't know why the dealer wouldn't have payed extra attention to that. I still cannot explain why disconnecting the AFM, Temp, and TPS would affect how the car was running. my best guess is that removing the signal makes them go to max lean so the car would still run slightly rich but not as bad with the correct metered signal inputs allowing it to run until the injectors fully shut down from the fuel pressure. Perhaps as stated above now that the oil is so diluted the signals aren't enough to correct the rich condition.

Will be replacing the FPR, starter, oil, and filter hopefully within the next day or so and I will post another update. Fingers crossed!

If the FPR does not solve the excessive fuel issue I will be swapping the DME and AFM with the later model parts as i have been wanting to do that anyways. Again I will post another update should the car reach that point.

Battery cables are easy to get but does anyone know where i can get some new ground connection wires shown in the pictures I posted before? Want to RnR those as well as clean up the ground locations as best as possible.

PS, maybe I should swap a Cessna 172 engine in the damn thing and keep my hand on the mixture setting while driving lol.

thanks again

regards

Jake
Old 07-25-2018, 07:59 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jacob AbuKhader
Hey everyone. Before I forget I wanted to give a huge shout out and thank you to Tim over at Comeu Racing in SanDiego. He’s been very helpful, stayed on the phone with me for over a half hour the day I was stuck out in Scottsdale helping me trouble shoot the car. I’d also like to thank everyone here that has replied the Porsche community is so awesome. Again thanks all.

Regards

Jake.
Tim is a friend of mine and a great guy. He is an expert when it comes to these cars. Did he suggest the FPR?
Old 07-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Yeah that was one of the first things he suggested. He said that he had never heard of a car running as long as mine without that fuse and since its so rich the fuel pressure must be high. He also suggested letting the car sit over night with the rail lifted to see if the injectors were leaking. I could test the pressure again but at this point I'd rather just have the new part. He's been great help he always try to make time for me when I reach out to him. Very high candidate on my list for a top end freshen up.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:33 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Have you pulled the fuel rail out with the injectors attached and cranked the car over to see what the spray pattern looks like? Might tell you a lot about what's going on here. Something is causing your injectors to flood. I know that your car is an NA, but I remember putting either my KLR or DME chip in backwards in my turbo and it literally squirted fuel like a hose. Could be some sort of damage in your DME maybe, but I would pull the rail and check it out. If they are squirting a ton of fuel then swap in a known working DME and see if that solves it.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:41 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Unfortunately with the move I never had the time to try it. I’m on my own out here without a second set of hands. If the pressure regulator doesn’t solve my issue then without a doubt I will look into replacing both the AFM and DME. While I had the intake and the rail disassembled I noticed some moisture one 1 of the injectors and another one was a little greasy. The other too were nice and dry though so I sort of dismissed them as being the main culprit.

Im actually less frustrated with this whole thing and now am just more curious than anything lol.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:49 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Good luck! If the issue persists after you replace the FPR then pull the rail real quick. It's only 2 bolts.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Curious: is it possible for fuel pressure to be too high even after measuring it with the usual gauge? That is, are there limitations or room for error when checking pressure the regular way?

(I've also got black carbon fouled plugs, a bit of hesitation at cold start (goes away quick), and a little 'pop' when letting off throttle sometimes between shifts, but my fuel pressure test seemed ok)

Still quite interested in the outcome of this unusual thread issues!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:33 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

When I looked at your picture posted, it seems like there is some other non-stock wiring right by the speed and reference sensor plugs. Based on the fact that when you got the car, it had non-normal O2 sensor wiring and various stereo hacks, it seems likely that there are numerous overlapping issues causing the rich condition. Keep posting on progress!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Okay everyone got another update for you.

New FPR is installed, cleaned each spark plug, installed a new starter, and changed the oil. Here’s what’s got me puzzled.

I stuffed shop rags all around the oil intake port to catch any spill from filling. Because I’m a puts and currently don’t have a car to go buy a funnel and am impatient lol.

I always stop after about 2.5 quarts to check under the car for leaks. All was well. Finished the last 2.5 qts of oil and had a small spill up top but the rags did there job. I didn’t dump oil down the back of my engine block.

went back under the car and was delighted to find a fresh lovely puddle of clean brand new oil with more running down the block.

top of the oil filler tube is dry all the way until where it appears to bolt on to the crank case. Can’t find any cracks and I couldn’t even see any leaks just oil running down the oil pan. AOS seals? Again top of the oil filler was dry and even though I did spill I spilled less than that amount on the pan right there. Am I being paranoid?
Old 07-27-2018, 01:39 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

also replaced the negative lead and the ground from the intake to the firewall
Old 07-27-2018, 01:53 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Your FPR stands up like that? And the hood closes right?

If your AOS seals are that bad, I would imagine oil would be pissing out while engine is running. It looks like you missed and dumped a bit outside the filler hole. Not sure about those rags
Old 07-27-2018, 01:55 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't be too concerned about the oil. Wipe up/off everything you can and keep an eye on it. Before you try to start the car and risk pouring more fuel into you newly changed oil, I would suggest pulling the fuel rail with injectors and wires attached and crank the engine a couple time to see the spray pattern from the injectors. Only takes a couple minutes and could save your oil....
Old 07-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Lol I can’t argue with that.
And yes the hood closes perfectly. Old one was positioned the same way.

If the FPR was the fix then the car should start right up correct? Are there any precautions I need to take before starting the car since it’s been about a month since it ran last?
Old 07-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by 400hp944
I wouldn't be too concerned about the oil. Wipe up/off everything you can and keep an eye on it. Before you try to start the car and risk pouring more fuel into you newly changed oil, I would suggest pulling the fuel rail with injectors and wires attached and crank the engine a couple time to see the spray pattern from the injectors. Only takes a couple minutes and could save your oil....
What kind of spray pattern should I be expecting?? I’ve seen videos of injectors firing in slow motion but haven’t seen anything in reference to real time. Should they just be quick puffs of mist or actual sprays of fuel that should soak a cloth?
Any references?

Quick Reply: Weird LJET fuel delivery issue!