Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown front coilover, taking suggestions on replacements. Konis? Coilovers again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:34 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Blown front coilover, taking suggestions on replacements. Konis? Coilovers again?

My '83 has been my around-town runabout for years now. I've been chasing down a clunk from the front end that I've deduced to simply be the passenger side strut being blown. Bilsteins with 250# Eibach springs. I thought about rebuilding them, but the threaded body has been scraped up by the spring rubbing and the internal drive hex for the top hat central locknut through the mount has been rounded out on both sides. Time to move on.

So, now I'm looking for some experienced opinions on what some good replacement choices would be for this car. Early NA, street car. I have 25.5mm / 18mm sway bars and I believe the T-bars are from a 951 but I'm not positive at this point. The coilovers were actually ok for daily use but the roads in Houston are pretty much a lunar surface in a lot of areas, I could tell they were going out within a year of moving here. I loved the way the car rode but it seems like they are a wear item at this point, only lasting a handful of years, and I'm not sure if I want to deal with that going forward. Here are my goals:

- The car is set up to be aggressive, but completely ok for street use. Sportiness is a priority, but not a ridiculous track-only setup either. I don't want to be forced to take out dates in my Forester.
- Quality is also at the top of the list. I don't want to blow retarded money but I'm avoiding cheap throwaway parts. Maybe the $200-$800 price range for the fronts, unless that's unrealistic.
- No modifications needed to the knuckles.
- Would be nice if I don't need a spring compressor to remove/install the assemblies but not a dealbreaker. Just don't like them.
- Choices for spring rates, in case I ever want to change things up.

So with that being said, open to suggestions. It sounds like going to something like Konis is a good bet but I want to make sure I'm aware of all the options. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Back to stock Sachs struts with 200-250# springs.
They work and last just fine with sporty driving, and only like $120/apiece.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for the tip on this, Spencer! I'll keep this in mind since my fronts are probably junk too.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:51 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll check that option out.

Anything else guys?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:04 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Michael, we're talking about the front here correct? Sounds like you have something like this installed?

https://www.paragon-products.com/Coi...arhk-r-xdo.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com

Quick Reply: Blown front coilover, taking suggestions on replacements. Konis? Coilovers again?