Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering leak where to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:37 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Power steering leak where to start

Finally got my 89’ S2 out of storage today and noticed I have a decent leak around the right rear engine area. At first I thought the worst..rear main seal ish but on closer inspection I think it is power steering fluid.

I cant tell exactly where it is coming from but I believe it’s from the redivide or lines and running behind the heat shields.

As everything is sweating any recommendations as to where to start?

Old 04-22-2018, 09:54 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The power steering system uses ATF fluid that is red. Power steering fluid will destroy the seals in the rack.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:07 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PaulStewart
The power steering system uses ATF fluid that is red. Power steering fluid will destroy the seals in the rack.
Valid point! I am using ATF which is leaking.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:15 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbum
Valid point! I am using ATF which is leaking.
Not an oil leak then? Red?

Right rear is an odd place but I suppose it could be coming off the rack itself, have you cleaned it off and looked for drips?

It's not uncommon for the rack seals to leak. Depending on the angle of your garage floor it could go anywhere after that. I stopped chasing ATF leaks and de-powered my rack. Works much better unless you're parallel parking and it doesn't leak. Ever.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:23 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Not an oil leak then? Red?

Right rear is an odd place but I suppose it could be coming off the rack itself, have you cleaned it off and looked for drips?

It's not uncommon for the rack seals to leak. Depending on the angle of your garage floor it could go anywhere after that. I stopped chasing ATF leaks and de-powered my rack. Works much better unless you're parallel parking and it doesn't leak. Ever.
It is an oil leak, red oil (ATF).

i believe it’s higher than the rack and around the reservoir/ power steering lines and running down behind the shielding on the right side of the engine bay coming out behind the shield in the right rear area of the engine bay. I will be jacking the car up later this week to check out the rack however there is nothing leaking under the rack.

I have had the car for 5 years and there has always been oil sweat on the reservoir and two lines attached to it which re appears shortly after it is cleaned off. I am thinking I should just change them all at this point and re assess?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:05 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

clean everything but I suspect the reservoir lines. a new supply line is fifty or so and bruce at arnworxs has a repair section for the cooler return. the hoses have bugled ends.

the filter is in the housing and should be replaced periodically. its good to trim/smooth the flashing on the inlet and outlet if it is excessive.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:50 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like the typical line split. The hoses going into the reservoir get brittle and crack. When they crack they start to spit ATF everywhere. If you want to confirm, clean off the hoses right where they connect onto the reservoir and start your car. It'll get wet again almost immediately.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:43 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
Looks like the typical line split. The hoses going into the reservoir get brittle and crack. When they crack they start to spit ATF everywhere. If you want to confirm, clean off the hoses right where they connect onto the reservoir and start your car. It'll get wet again almost immediately.

perfect! I will give that a try and report back.

Thank you everyone for the input.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:16 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

The same system is used in the 968 and they specify PS fluid for the 968. I put a rack from a 951S into my 968 and am running PS fluid. No big deal. Hydraulic fluid, maybe less detergent and seal conditioners.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbum
It is an oil leak, red oil (ATF).

So it's an ATF leak, not an oil leak? Or would we like to devolve into some weird discussion of semantics?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:14 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic

So it's an ATF leak, not an oil leak? Or would we like to devolve into some weird discussion of semantics?
haha it’s leaking slippery petroleum based fluid..which is red in colour..same colour as the fluid formerly found in the PS reservoir which is now empty.
The following users liked this post:
BruceWard (09-14-2023)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

arnworxs has a repair section
Yea, everyone should know about this almost free fix for one of the two hoses. It came from an RL post here in this forum from about 10 years ago. I just added the details. Linky....Bruce
Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Yea, everyone should know about this almost free fix for one of the two hoses. It came from an RL post here in this forum from about 10 years ago. I just added the details. Linky....Bruce
saved! Thanks Bruce

Quick Reply: Power steering leak where to start