Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring plate bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:58 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Well I had another shot at it today - it took me all day but I got the polybronze bushings installed on both sides by dropping both sides at the same time. On to the next problem: does anyone have any tips on getting the hidden bolt that goes into the top of the "blade" of the torsion carrier (up inside the wheel arch) into place? I've got it on the passenger side but I can't get it to go into place on the driver's side. Using a mirror it looks like the torsion bar carrier piece needs to come up a little. But I can't seem to get it into place.

This is the one I'm talking about:

Old 04-22-2018, 05:19 AM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the carrier to body mount bolts loose? I remember having that problem when I saved those banana arm mounts for last, and couldn't get them aligned. I reversed it, and loosened the other bolts and started the banana arms first, it was much easier that way. I had to adjust a transmission jack along with a floor jack to properly get everything aligned and every bolt slipped in and nut started by hand.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:23 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MistaX
Do you have the carrier to body mount bolts loose? I remember having that problem when I saved those banana arm mounts for last, and couldn't get them aligned. I reversed it, and loosened the other bolts and started the banana arms first, it was much easier that way. I had to adjust a transmission jack along with a floor jack to properly get everything aligned and every bolt slipped in and nut started by hand.
You mean the bolt that goes through the big rubber bushing on the spring plate cover? That's loose, although I've tried it both ways, and with that bolt completely removed, but it doesn't help. Right now that bolt is in but not all the way through. I loosened the bolt that holds the rubber bushing to the tip of the blade shaped piece in the hope it would give me more wiggle room, but there still wasn't enough. Maybe I should remove that piece completely.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
You mean the bolt that goes through the big rubber bushing on the spring plate cover? That's loose, although I've tried it both ways, and with that bolt completely removed, but it doesn't help. Right now that bolt is in but not all the way through. I loosened the bolt that holds the rubber bushing to the tip of the blade shaped piece in the hope it would give me more wiggle room, but there still wasn't enough. Maybe I should remove that piece completely.
Yeah those are the bolts I mean. You may need to remove those bolts completely and wack those ends with a mallet, or wedge a big screwdriver back there. Just keep at it and eventually you'll get it. It's not that easy. I replaced all my bushes and mounts with solid ones, which are obviously less forgiving in the alignment, and it did take me a long time.

Quick Reply: Spring plate bushings