Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting non-oem AC condenser and compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Retrofitting non-oem AC condenser and compressor

I figure I start a thread for those interested in this in the future. I will be installing an aftermarket parallel flow condenser and sanden compressor unit. I will be removing brackets from condenser and transfer over to new unit. I just need to figure out brackets for sanden compressor. Ive contacted a few places that offer them as a kit to see if they'd possibly sell them separately. Will be also installing custom crimped lines instead of hose clamps. All this should cost under $600, including hose fittings, hoses and crimp tool. Which is less than what a new compressor would cost. If anyone has done this already, please share here. Much appreciated. Thanks -Wayne
The following users liked this post:
EliteThink (07-11-2023)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Hi,
Those Sanden bracket kits exist already, I have installed before.
Be aware that the "aftermarket reproduction" Sanden-type compressors have a tendency to fail in short order.
Either get a warranty, or get a genuine Sanden unit ($500+).
The following users liked this post:
tempest411 (01-20-2024)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:08 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Hi,
Those Sanden bracket kits exist already, I have installed before.
Be aware that the "aftermarket reproduction" Sanden-type compressors have a tendency to fail in short order.
Either get a warranty, or get a genuine Sanden unit ($500+).

Read about Sanden style compressors and will be getting an oem sanden unit. Getting most of the parts of Ebay. I've tried looking for this bracket? Only guys that I saw carry them was Paragon Products and Griffiths. Anyone else? Don't wanna shell out $180 just for brackets from Paragon if I won't be using anything else from the kit. Thanks
Old 03-22-2018, 03:03 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Thing is, you have to use everything that comes in that kit.
If you go with a crimped hose the only things not used would be the hose clamps...

However, the hardest part of the kit is that the hose from evaporator back to compressor is crimped onto a long section of hard line which runs into the car and way under the dash.
That's the one that having the hose clamp option makes life much, much simpler for - just cut the factory fitting off, stick new fitting in and clamp. Otherwise you'd have to add a fitting joint in the car (no working room) or remove the whole line from the body (it's at least 6-7 feet long and has lots of bends, I didn't re-do the one in my car until I had the engine out).
Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Thing is, you have to use everything that comes in that kit.
If you go with a crimped hose the only things not used would be the hose clamps...

However, the hardest part of the kit is that the hose from evaporator back to compressor is crimped onto a long section of hard line which runs into the car and way under the dash.
That's the one that having the hose clamp option makes life much, much simpler for - just cut the factory fitting off, stick new fitting in and clamp. Otherwise you'd have to add a fitting joint in the car (no working room) or remove the whole line from the body (it's at least 6-7 feet long and has lots of bends, I didn't re-do the one in my car until I had the engine out).

It is a tight fit. But I will be doing the retrofit during turbo and exhaust swap out also. Need to figure out the fitting size for connection at ac pressure switch.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:53 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have put Sanden or Kulhl compressors on a couple of 944's and one 968. I would recommend changing all the rubber hose to the newer barrier hose if you are going to use 134. Cut the beadlock ferrule on the existing hose with a dremel being careful not to damage the fitting by cutting too deep. You can then get new ferrules and crimp the hose on to the old fitting with a beadlock crimper. You will need 2 new fittings for the compressor. Be sure the compressor fitting with the charge port is where you have access to it. If I remember correctly the barrier hose size going to the drier was a size 6.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:41 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorty ... Good thread... I think you're right to start with a better condenser, which one are you looking at? I've shopped a few times for one but never found one that fit and was not significantly smaller than the OEM version....Bruce
Old 04-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

check with Griffiths for condensor.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:42 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie
check with Griffiths for condensor.
Griffiths makes a parallel flow condenser that's a drop in replacement for the original. I have one of them for an early car, though it's not yet installed.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone has done this already, please share here. Much appreciated. Thanks -Wayne
I have done this (on my first 944) and made a few critical mistakes. So I've been watching these threads and have had conversion on my todo list forever. I like Wayne's $600 budget and I think when Rennlisters really get serious, good things happen.
Mistake 1 - hose clamps on AC hoses (barrier) with 134 were leaky.
Mistake 2 - failed to get old mineral oil cleaned out of the system and PAG oil did not play well with mineral oil.

I want to get outlet temps in the low 30's (on a typical STL summer day). This is sort of my "dyno sheet or it didn't happen" test. So I think a parallel flow condenser is going to be needed. I'm hoping to find one that fits, works and is inside the Wayne's budget. I don't think I care so much about the fittings because I'm going to rebuild the hoses anyway with barrier. I don't think I care so much about the bracketry because I can do that or get someone on CNC Zone to cut them for me.

A quick (through the grill) measurement of my 87 951 shows the oem condenser is about 12 x 21. I find a condenser on ebay that might work, see pic. The price is too good to be true. Along the way I've read that parallel condensers cannot be flushed so that adds to the need for a low cost version.

Crimping the hoses is another show stopper. I don't really want to pull the engine and so I got this crimper that I'm hoping I can work in situ. It was $235 shipped, see pic.

So now the last thing I'm thinking about is the flush. I going to try and reseal the compressor myself and at that time flush it out. If I can manage to get the connections to the evaporator apart, I might be able devise some way to blow out the lines and then the evaporator with flush liquid. I need to change those orings anyway and I expect to use a new dryer and POE oil.

So that's my plan. Hopefully it will spur some discussion and add to Wayne's thread....Bruce
Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce,
How did the crimper work out and how did the install go with the universal condenser? Did you see an improvement in your A/C performance?
Old 09-08-2018, 01:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Vic,
not to speak for Bruce but I was probably the first one using that type of condenser on a 944 almost 10 years ago, and I made a few bolt-in units for RLers back in the day.
I still have one in my car, 14x20 I think, it works quite well with R134.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was just looking up crimpers and figured I try this option. Which crimper did you end up using? Obviously, a hydraulic crimper is required for an in-car modification to the hoses.
So you ended up using a different condenser size compared to Bruce?
Old 09-08-2018, 02:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I pulled the entire AC system out of the chassis and had everything redone at a hose shop. Probably $200 in rubber and crimping labor.

I've used the 14x20 parallel flow since 2008, it's a little taller than a 944 stock unit but it does fit in the stock space.

Stock 944 core vs one of mine:

Here's one I made to bolt into a 944S. Note, I don't make these anymore, but just to show you it's doable.

Mounted in the car (painted ends)
Old 09-08-2018, 04:05 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great info Spencer - thank you!

Quick Reply: Retrofitting non-oem AC condenser and compressor