Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche '83 944 with some issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Roll_n
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default First Porsche '83 944 with some issues...

Was looking for a PDX car, and found this nice 944 for $2300. Has some minor body damage and some other minor issues (e.g., very desperately needed new front strut inserts) but is more or less original and has less than 55K miles. Odometer is stopped at 53K, but have tire receipt from 2012 with 51K mi and everything seems pretty tight so I believe the mileage is not too far off. It looks as if the PO's tried to maintain the car, but were kinda hacks at it...

I initially had overheating problems, which led me to change out the fan switch with another bad fan switch (doh!) and when I was at my wit's end, I took it to AutoEdge here in Mahtomedi MN. It costs me a bit to have them tell me the new fan switch I put in was bad, but while it was there I had them check the timing belt. It looked like it had been replaced as it had a new water pump, but I wanted to be sure so I had AE check the tension on it. Good thing, as the timing belt had been replaced, but the tensioner was installed backwards. So in the end, I didn't mind the bill for the cooling issue as it was probably one bad downshift away from fragging the motor.

So here's a few pictures. Yes, it has a tacky "PORSCHE 944" painted on sides, and the wheels have no alibi, they are U-G-L-Y. Was repainted by the same hack team, they took things off to paint it, but were pretty slack in putting it back together correctly (I counted 7 bolts missing from front fascia below bumper)

Pic from the day I bought it (last July)

PO's son backed into it with a truck... Lights still work, hood is not latched all the way here, it does go down correctly. The hack painter added hood vents that have cracked, and I think he made every kind of mistake possible in the finish. Any tips on rescuing a 20ft paint job? At least to make it a 10ft paint job?
Dv
Old 03-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Roll_n
Track Day

close up of the ugly wheels, I do like the look of the original cookie cutter wheels with the silver outer rim, any suggestions on how to refurbish these? I bought a mis-matched set of phone-dials (2 silver, 2 black) with all-season tires, so I will have these off for a while until I get a new set of summer tires for track use.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I think it looks good. Sure, I wouldn't feel the need to advertise the make and model on the side but otherwise as I said, looks good.

Nice to see some Barum tires. These used to be (and may still be) made in Czechoslovakia. In addition, they made bicycle tires that lasted forever, squealed like car tires and were cheap. It wasn't uncommon to shop up to a race with teams from the Eastern Block (former?) and they would sell you tubular tires for $5 US. Perfect for training! Anyways, they're owned by Continental now.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:53 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to keep your business somewhat local, AND have an incredible job done, there is a fellow within your driving distance and a member of our local NordStern Porsche club region, who does a really great job on re-lathing these and refinishing them.
His name is Phil Hancock. He had an entire set of these he did not too long ago and the work was spectacular.
Am sure you could connect thru our PCA group by contacting membership chair Ed Vasquez.
If you aren't a member, consider joining. Great source of info and camaraderie. You could pick up a free NordStern monthly magazine at either of the Porsche dealerships .... Mps. and St. Paul.

Best wishes with your new 944
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Roll_n
Track Day

Yeah, I don't feel like writing car model names on a car in huge letters is ever necessary, but some people like it I suppose. It could be worse...

The Barum tires are uncommon, you must have been a bike racer to even know what tubular tires are. Hate to trash them as they are barely used, but problem is they are 8 years old and have been sitting out all this time in MN winters, so I don't want to use them on the track or in cold/wet weather.
Dv
Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Roll_n
Track Day

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
If you want to keep your business somewhat local, AND have an incredible job done, there is a fellow within your driving distance and a member of our local NordStern Porsche club region, who does a really great job on re-lathing these and refinishing them.
His name is Phil Hancock. He had an entire set of these he did not too long ago and the work was spectacular.
Am sure you could connect thru our PCA group by contacting membership chair Ed Vasquez.
If you aren't a member, consider joining. Great source of info and camaraderie. You could pick up a free NordStern monthly magazine at either of the Porsche dealerships .... Mps. and St. Paul.

Best wishes with your new 944
Thanks for the info! I was wanting someone good & local. Will join PCA, been meaning to for a while now.
Dv
Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Squid924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the 944! Looks like a good starting point.

I have a pair of red headlight covers if you want them. They are just collecting dust and you can have them for the cost of shipping. Send a pm if interested.

Good luck with the project.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Roll_n
Track Day

Originally Posted by Squid924
Congrats on the 944! Looks like a good starting point.

I have a pair of red headlight covers if you want them. They are just collecting dust and you can have them for the cost of shipping. Send a pm if interested.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks! The cover took the majority of the hit, so this will make it look much prettier!

PM on the way
Dv

Quick Reply: First Porsche '83 944 with some issues...