Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16v Clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Roka
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 16v Clutch kit

About to embark on the daunting task of replacing the clutch on my 1987 S.
Reading various posts here and verifying with the Porsche parts catalog it looks like the 8v NA and the 16v S share the same clutch disk but have a different pressure plate.
Looking at the Sachs(ZF) catalog it looks like the correct kit for the S is KF298-02. This is also the recommended kit for the 8v NA so something does not add up.

I contacted ZF and this was their response:
The correct kit for your '87 944S is KF298-02. Our competitors are offering the same clutch for both the 16v and 8v engines as well. My thought is we have used the higher clamping pressure plate for both models.
Anybody have an insight or further information about this?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 PM
FHMotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new Sachs clutch available which is the same for 8V and 16V. The clamping force on the pressure plate was higher for the 16V kits years ago but now the same kit is used for the 8V too. Looking to get $420 for the kit.

Last edited by FHMotorsport; 03-17-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:21 PM
YYC2Banff
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Roka. I am new to this forum but I have worked on my S for some years. A year ago I was sourcing a pressure plate for my S and I was able to find this new old stock pressure plate. The sachs number is on it and it fits S and S2. I had set the current Sachs K298-02 next to this and I cannot see any physical difference in appearance however I am not sure how you would test clamping force. Any other S person have an additional comment?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:57 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

https://webcat.zf.com/
Old 03-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Roka
Advanced

Originally Posted by YYC2Banff

Hello Roka. I am new to this forum but I have worked on my S for some years. A year ago I was sourcing a pressure plate for my S and I was able to find this new old stock pressure plate. The sachs number is on it and it fits S and S2. I had set the current Sachs K298-02 next to this and I cannot see any physical difference in appearance however I am not sure how you would test clamping force. Any other S person have an additional comment?

The more I look into this the more my head hurts.
ZF tells me the KF298-02 is the correct kit for the S. Looking at the autohausaz site they claim that the correct kit I'm looking for is KF782-01 which costs $100 more than the KF298-02 but is not in the ZF catalog.
Then there is the the question of the clutch disk that in the photos of the kit had 4 dark springs, but in your photo and in others on the net there are 6 multi-color springs so I'm not sure what is going on.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:14 AM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Roka, not an area I have expertise with. That said, it is probably worth a call to Paragon Products or Pelican Parts to ask for help in identifying the right kit. I believe the rubber center clutch disc may be NLA from Sachs and definitely NLA from Porsche, perhaps that is adding to the confusion: you'll have to use a spring center clutch disc, as was original to the 924 Turbo if memory serves. I have one in my own car, works fine, no real difference to the driver compared with the rubber center. The photos you see on Autohaus (and other sites) may not be the actual part they'd sell you: they often have this disclaimer. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Roka
Advanced

Thank Kevin. The rubber center disk is NLA, not that I wanted to go that direction even if it was available.
Regarding the spring center, viewing both Van's and Jürgen's videos on youtube I see that they are using the 4 spring clutch plate where as other places, like YYC2BANF's photo above, show the 6 spring version. Is this just a more updated version or a different clutch disk altogether?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Roka
Thank Kevin. The rubber center disk is NLA, not that I wanted to go that direction even if it was available.
Regarding the spring center, viewing both Van's and Jürgen's videos on youtube I see that they are using the 4 spring clutch plate where as other places, like YYC2BANF's photo above, show the 6 spring version. Is this just a more updated version or a different clutch disk altogether?
I don't know the answer to that... When I made the video, I was changing the clutch on my S. I just got the Sachs kit that I thought was the right one - but, as Dimi said, the 8-valve and 16-valve kits seem to be the same these days.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Hi Roka, I recently put an S engine in my (formerly) 8 valve car, and when I swapped engines I took the pressure plate and clutch off the 8V and put it on the 16V. When I replaced the clutch on the 8V last year I used the Sachs kit. The 8V pressure plate has been fine so far so I'd say don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: 16v Clutch kit