Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 early 944 warning lights electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:53 PM
loragonth
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 early 944 warning lights electrical issue

Hey guys,
I have a 1985 early 944. I have an issues that I am pretty sure is electric. The oil warning light and brake warning light are on but I noticed today they will blink in unison sometime,
I am thinking it is some type of ground issue but not sure. The oil pressure gauge also acts up and either is 0 or pegs to 5, but never reads correct.
SO any ideas what would cause both oil warning light and the brake warning light (not the wear indicator) to be on and flash off at the same time?

Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:40 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by loragonth
Hey guys,
I have a 1985 early 944. I have an issues that I am pretty sure is electric. The oil warning light and brake warning light are on but I noticed today they will blink in unison sometime,
I am thinking it is some type of ground issue but not sure. The oil pressure gauge also acts up and either is 0 or pegs to 5, but never reads correct.
SO any ideas what would cause both oil warning light and the brake warning light (not the wear indicator) to be on and flash off at the same time?

Any assistance is appreciated.
A blinking oil warning light normally indicates a low oil fill level. Have you checked your oil fill level lately? You mentioned your oil pressure gauge is acting up - maybe it’s not...
Old 03-16-2018, 12:45 AM
loragonth
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, when the light and gauge first started acting up I check the oil, changed it and had the shop run a mechanical pressure test on the oil. Everything shows fine.
I don't think it is related to the actual level of the brakes fluid or the oil. Since the lights where blinking at the same time, seems unlikely that is not a related issue like electrical.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are three reasons why the brake and oil pressure warning lights to come on together. Low brake fluid level, bad low brake fluid level switch, or the blue/yellow wire between the low brake fluid level switch and brake warning light assembly is shorting to ground.
Now with that said, one more possibly. With the oil pressure gauge going from 0 to 5 bars the sending unit may be bad also grounding both the gauge and oil light. But in order for the brake warning light to come on from a ground signal from the oil pressure sending unit the diode in the brake warning light assembly would have to be shorted also. Here's a link to the warning light
wiring: https://www.pelicanparts.com/944/ele...944_84_4_2.jpg
Please post your findings.

Quick Reply: 1985 early 944 warning lights electrical issue