Sponsored by:

WTB: Clutch kit for 88 944S

Old 02-14-2018, 12:09 AM
Braymond
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default WTB: Clutch kit for 88 944S

It was bound to happen soon.

I had the car at the track last weekend (Refrigerator Bowl) and now I have a vibration above 3k rpm. The engine revs freely in neutral so I suspect the clutch is failing. As with everything else Iíve replace recently (eg. the entire suspension), I expect to find itís original to the car.

Iíve been reading past posts (mostly regarding 951 clutch replacements) and read several descriptions in the online stores, but still not clear about what I should get as a replacement. I have a stock 944S (2.5L 16V) and Iím not planning on adding too much more HP, so Iím thinking a stock Sachs clutch kit plus TO bearing will do. Iím surprised and the price differences from each of the major 944 stores and there appears to be several options for this model car too. I thought all the 944S transmissions were the same, so Iím not sure why there are listings for 924,944,944S/S2 and then 944S/S2.

Any recommendations from the team here for my specific application? Source, kit, while-your-at-its, etc...

I plan on doing this replacement myself. Iíve read some excellent guides here and Clarkís. Iím also looking forward to fixing that annoying TT rattle.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:37 PM
FHMotorsport

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I would check rear engine seal, pilot bearing, clutch fork with bearings and clutch slave cylinder while there.

I have a brand new Sachs clutch kit available. PM or email if interested. Thanks!

1989 Porsche 944 S2
1986 Porsche 951/968
Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 PM
Van
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't forget about the throwout bearing guide tube. Also, I hear there's a good YouTube video on this very subject!

Old 02-14-2018, 11:20 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

If you suspect your TT bearings (rattle) I can recommend Constantine's SuperBearings. Look up "Black Sea Research" for his web site. Great bearings.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Arominus
Addict
Rennlist Member

FYI you can get the sachs kit on Rockauto for $451, considerably cheaper than i've seen it elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Braymond
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the video link, Van. That’s a very comprehensive video. I just watched the whole thing. I’ve got a big job in front of me.

I also just ordered the Sachs kit from Rock Auto. That’s the best price I’ve seen anywhere. Thanks Arominus.

Great recommendations everyone. That’s the help I was hoping for from the crowd.

-Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTB: Clutch kit for 88 944S

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: