Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sachs strut Koni insert vs Koni strut Koni insert??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:04 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Sachs strut Koni insert vs Koni strut Koni insert??

I thought that these would be the same but here goes: I bought a set of Koni sport inserts for a 968, I had a pair of Sachs original struts laying around so I started the cutting process to prep the struts for the NEW Koni sport inserts. I then pulled out a pair of old 951 factory Koni sport shocks (474 option I think sport struts that needed rebuilding) When looking at these side by side I expected them to be identical from the spring perch down but if you look closely at the photo the factory Koni sport struts spring perch sits about one to two inches lower than the 968 factory Sachs struts. My sense is that if I cut the factory Koni struts and use them instead the car will get an automatic 1/2 inch lowering ?? Is that correct or am I completely missing something?

The other observation or question you may ask is this....why not get the factory Koni struts rebuilt rather than cutting them and using new sport inserts....well it will cost at least $50 to $200 more to have them rebuilt with shipping and who knows what parts are needed. Seems a shame but True Choice told me its $200 per strut plus parts if needed plus shipping there and back. Paragon sells the new insert for $175 each guaranteed plus freight.

Is there good reason to not cut these and put new inserts in them and send for rebuild instead??

Thanks
John

968 sachs standard strut cut ready for new insert 951 (474 Koni sport option) strut yellow
Old 02-06-2018, 04:43 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

from your picture, the larger diameter spring is used on the koni and the spindle/knuckle mount pattern is different.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:04 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
from your picture, the larger diameter spring is used on the koni and the spindle/knuckle mount pattern is different.
Thomas that may be true as well...I did not realize that there were different diameter springs from Porsche. I knew there were many spring rates identified by the dots and colors, as well as a few with variable spring rates but did not realize the springs may be different diameters as well?
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The S2 and 968 used a different diameter spring than the turbos, so thats what you are seeing. Just finish converting your 968 set, they bolt on without you having to change springs. If tyou want to go adjustable perches, get the paragon conversion kit, you cut the existing perch off and use the coilover sleeve. Make sure you use anti-seize on the sleeve and the lock nut for the collar, they are not fun when they seize up nor when they seize to the shock body.

The reason not cut the Konis is pretty simple, you can have the koni struts made double adjustable if you send them in, they won't touch them if you hack them. Don't cut up good koni cores! they are not the easiest thing to come by.

Quick Reply: Sachs strut Koni insert vs Koni strut Koni insert??