Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running on 3 cylinders (mostly) after timing belt job

Old 01-21-2018, 03:37 PM
bureau13
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Car running on 3 cylinders (mostly) after timing belt job

(I'm breaking this out from the timing belt thread because I think it's not obviously related, although it has to be the result of something I did)

So I finished my timing belt job...timing shouldn't have changed, cam and crank gears line up properly, etc. I didn't touch the distributor, or anything like that. The car started right up, but sounds like it's running on three cylinders most of the time. Every so often, it will smooth out at idle (or steady-state cruising) and you can feel it as well as hear it, but it always goes back to the misfire state. Also, when driving, whenever I give it gas, it misfires, and I can feel it holding back.

Note that I really don't think it's timing-related, since in addition to the above observations, there are periods of time where it seems to be just fine, at least at idle. This morning it ran a good two minutes, idling perfectly, until it went back to the misfire.

Here's a short video of idle, showing both states:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dHVzF1dHM2d2Fn

Any ideas? I have a theory that it's fuel-related, maybe a result from unbolting the fuel distributor, disconnecting it from the lower boot and moving it up out of the way briefly while I wrestled with the timing belt cover. However, I don't see anything obvious just looking at the fuel lines. I put a timing light on each ignition wire and they seem to be firing...not sure how to do the equivalent with the fuel lines, however. Since it's CIS I can't really use a noid light, right? I'm at a loss...
Old 01-21-2018, 07:27 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

the warm up regulator was usually the culprit many moons ago in the days of rabbits and sciroccos. check your fuel pressure but it does take a special tool to measure the pressure differential

there are also some insulators that screw into the head that hold the injectors. they can crack and cause a gross vacuum leak.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:36 AM
bureau13
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll try to see if anything is obvious there. I was mostly looking in the fuel distributor area, since I did touch that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car running on 3 cylinders (mostly) after timing belt job