Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could have happened to the 944 (trans, clutch or something else)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:38 AM
xfroggy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could have happened to the 944 (trans, clutch or something else)

Hi!
So was ready to take my 944 around the block, after the transmission was out. The slave cylinder wasn't installed, because it is busted. Put her into first, started it up, no clutch it really struggled to start. Then it starts up, but it's not in gear... But the gear stick says it's in gear, and it felt like it was in first.
So put it in first, still feels like it's not in gear when it pushed, same with neutral of course.
So, possible outcomes? Gearbox is stuffed? Or something to do on the clutch side?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:10 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Uhh I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve by starting the car in 1st with no means to activate the clutch, and then drive it around the block.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:15 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xfroggy
Hi!
So was ready to take my 944 around the block, after the transmission was out. The slave cylinder wasn't installed, because it is busted. Put her into first, started it up, no clutch it really struggled to start.
Not really certain what you are trying to do there. How do you put it in first and start it with no clutch? I could see it struggling it the starter motor was trying to move the entire car.

Then it starts up, but it's not in gear... But the gear stick says it's in gear, and it felt like it was in first.
So put it in first, still feels like it's not in gear when it pushed, same with neutral of course.
So, possible outcomes? Gearbox is stuffed? Or something to do on the clutch side?
A couple of things here. First, why was the trans out of the car? What was being done to it? Second, provided that there wasn't something botched on what was done with the trans work, its probable that the linkage wasn't installed correctly. It's a little finnicky to get it correct especially if you've never done it before.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:54 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

You don't need to put the car in first to start the car. You don't even have to push the clutch pedal down to start it so not sure why you're trying to. And trying to put it into gear without the slave is asking for trouble. You will break something. Put the car back together correctly and try again. Then you'll be able to tell what's wrong if there's a problem.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 PM
xfroggy
Track Day

Well, if the slave cylinder in your car goes. How do you drive it?
you start it in gear and drive... That's what happened to my golf.

The thing is, my mechanic told me to do this before I drove it up to him like that because he's going to replace the slave cylinder.
His shop.is just up the road, so rather than trailer it I was going to just drive it.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:46 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, if the slave cylinder in your car goes. How do you drive it?
you start it in gear and drive... take the bus or get a ride until you can fix the car.
Clutchless shifting is terrible for synchros.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:00 PM
xfroggy
Track Day

I know that, it just a one time thing. That was the whole point.
obviouslyi would not drive like that for any other purpose then to get it fixed. That would be stupid
Old 01-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

If you are saying you have no connection between the trans and the engine then yes it could be the clutch or one of the torque tube couplers, or it could be a blown ring and pinion in the trans.
You could narrow things down by determining if the torque tube rotates with the trans in gear (and one wheel blocked), you can check at the rear coupler as per:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-03.htm

If that is turning maybe pull the starter and see if you get rubber damper chunks out. Or check at the front coupler?

-Joel.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:15 AM
xfroggy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
If you are saying you have no connection between the trans and the engine then yes it could be the clutch or one of the torque tube couplers, or it could be a blown ring and pinion in the trans.
You could narrow things down by determining if the torque tube rotates with the trans in gear (and one wheel blocked), you can check at the rear coupler as per:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-03.htm

If that is turning maybe pull the starter and see if you get rubber damper chunks out. Or check at the front coupler?

-Joel.
Thanks!
So it's definitely something in the Trans.
Maybe diff? So start it up in gear (wheels in the air so they spin), spins very slow, only one wheels spins, when I manually spin the wheels i have to hold one to get ANY movement in the input spline.
Whereas yesturday when I did that, 2 wheels spun, and there's a funky noise coming from the transaxle.
Possible issue? Ring and pinion? Diff?
Old 01-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

Are you sure it's clunking into gear? Does 1st or reverse produce different results?

I do not know if what you are describing here:
"when I manually spin the wheels i have to hold one to get ANY movement in the input spline"
is normal or not, yes if you have an open diff you need to hold one wheel and turn the other to spin the input shaft of the trans via a wheel. But is what you are seeing just 1st gear or is something blown and you are seeing a little drag between a ring gear and a blown pinion? Or maybe the trans just isn't really in gear?

If you shift to reverse and get a little reverse movement and a clanking from the trans, shift into forward and get a little forward movement and clank clank then it could be a bad pinion or maybe a coupler not in place or left loose and the splines got destroyed or something.

You did say the trans was just out, had it worked before it was removed? Why did it come out?
Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 AM
FHMotorsport
Former Vendor

Have you confirmed that the shift linkage at the transmission is secured properly? Based on your description it might be loose enough so it is not engaging the selector rod all the way to properly shift into a gear. Check the 6mm set bolt that locks the shift linkage in place once slid over get selector rod. Check the 8mm set bolt that locks the shifter rod to the shift linkage as well. If you have play in any of these places you will not be shifting the transmission into any year completely.

Quick Reply: What could have happened to the 944 (trans, clutch or something else)