Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retirement!

Old 01-12-2018, 11:23 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Retirement!

Retirement is a magic word for many of us Baby Boomers. And I think I am officially there! I have worked as a contract mechanical engineer in the nuclear power business for my entire 40 year career but it looks like that ride is over, for multiple reasons. So I'm going to move on to the next phase in my life. I've been investing over the years in several cars worthy of restoration and I have been investing in the tools and workspace to do so. Anyone that follows my Newhillgarage.com blog will know that I haven't been standing still over the last 15 years regarding restoration and track car projects but now I get to work on it full time!

I am fortunate to own 3 Jaguar E-Types. Two of them are the 2+2 models, which aren't the most desirable of the lot but still a very pretty, exciting car. I plan to restore these to a concours level. I also own a 1963 E-Type coupe. It is a total basket case. In parts and boxes. That will be my most challenging project.

I am just finishing up my Porsche 944 "R" project. That car will go on sale on Bring A Trailer in the spring to help finance my going forward.

After quite a bit of soul searching about the "best" track car to move forward with, I have decided to stick with my 944. I strongly considered newer Porsches such as a Boxster or a Cayman. Both would offer a strong step up in performance but, frankly, represent more risk, both from a financial standpoint and the challenge of surviving an off track excursion that could start at a much higher speed than my 944 obtains. I decided to stick with what I know. And I've got a ton of money invested in the track car that would most likely not be recoverable. Custom seat. Full roll cage. The 2200 pound weight loss plan. And I love to tinker, which the 944 allows. So stand by for new posts regarding my engine rebuild and Megasquirt project.

Like many of us I have a bucket list. This year it looks like a trip to the 24 Hours of Lemans will happen. I already have reservations at the Porsche Curves camp site. Anybody going to the same please get in touch.

I plan to move a little farther afield regarding track days. I've got my eye on Watkins Glen for sure and will also make a swing through the midwest: Mid-Ohio and Road America come to mind. A little farther down the road, a California trip to multiple tracks there is tempting.

I promise to keep up my blog posts. Regarding these, I do not mean to diss Rennlist when I redirect my threads to my Wordpress blog. It is just that I have a lot of familiarity with the quirks of that platform and it puts everything in one place.

So if you are still reading at this point, thanks for hearing me out. I enjoy the Rennlist community, especially the 944 forum. I will close by saying that I am working on recovering the dash (for the 2nd time) on the 944R. That will be the subject of a blog post soon.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do both e-types like that? pick one with the best patina, leave it that way and do a mechanical resto and go have fun blowing peoples minds with it (and hooning) Grats on making it to retirement!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Squid924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the retirement!

Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy. I look forward to seeing the progress.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been retired for 4 years now. When people ask me "how I'm liking it" , my response is "I highly recommended it".
Congratulations!
BTW the funny thing about retirement, you'll find yourself wondering how you ever found time to do anything when you were working because for some reason when you're retired you seem to have less time for anything.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf

After quite a bit of soul searching about the "best" track car to move forward with, I have decided to stick with my 944. I strongly considered newer Porsches such as a Boxster or a Cayman. Both would offer a strong step up in performance but, frankly, represent more risk, both from a financial standpoint and the challenge of surviving an off track excursion that could start at a much higher speed than my 944 obtains. I decided to stick with what I know. And I've got a ton of money invested in the track car that would most likely not be recoverable. Custom seat. Full roll cage. The 2200 pound weight loss plan. And I love to tinker, which the 944 allows. So stand by for new posts regarding my engine rebuild and Megasquirt project.

Like many of us I have a bucket list. This year it looks like a trip to the 24 Hours of Lemans will happen. I already have reservations at the Porsche Curves camp site. Anybody going to the same please get in touch.

I plan to move a little farther afield regarding track days. I've got my eye on Watkins Glen for sure and will also make a swing through the midwest: Mid-Ohio and Road America come to mind. A little farther down the road, a California trip to multiple tracks there is tempting.
Congrats! I'm a couple years out still - but I want it to be today.

So what's going to be left when you take out 2200 lbs? That only leaves about 500 lbs. Should be a rocket....

Be sure to keep 944Fest in mind for track and fun. Nelson Ledges is a nice little track and the people are... well, fun too.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your retirement. As a former Jag owner (series 3 XJ-6),I'm glad to see that you have three cats. Statistically, at least one should be drive-able at any time...
Old 01-12-2018, 02:28 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inspiring read. Thank you.
Good luck.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:17 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations on retirement, I too am out in a month.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:17 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ALL the Best in the future Harvey !

Thanks for your 40 years of working in a highly controversial field. Am sure you have had quite a bit 'thrown at you' both verbally and in challenges.......

As an owner of a Series III E - Type I heartily recommend a solid and steadfast approach to loving these cars to the maximum. They indeed love maintenance, but reward in spades ! ( and some folks here think 944s are in need of more attention than they can deal with, so convert to chevy power. Well it's been done to the poor E-Types as well, and guess which cars are most rewarding ? In both cases, the pure and refined 'factory built' nature is a thing of beauty as they steadily gain value in the marketplace as well. )

BEST wishes on the future..... I retired early in my late 30s, then foolishly returned back, to work at another go at punishment. I have been gone permanently now for nearly 8 years and find the joy of attending to my Porsches, enjoying travel ( mostly to tracks supporting a race for Porsches ), and helping folks with troubleshooting issues with their cars more interesting. And, more rewarding. And have never wished to return to the 'corporate' world. Am sure it will be the same for you.

Keep the joy and love for our beauties real. They truly are a great sports car ! And I hope to meet up with you someday at a venue .........
Old 01-13-2018, 01:53 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Wishing you the best in your new chapter, Harvey!
Only 17 yrs to go... I'm exhausted just thinking about that.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:25 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

Thanks for all the kind replies. I'm looking forward to this!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the retirement! I've got a lot of years to go. If I keep spending extra income on cars, I'll add quite a few more

As a fellow mechanical engineer I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog posts on the 944. Thoughtful, methodical work with technical explanations of why certain modifications work as they do are rare in the car hobby. Keep up the good work and documentation of your efforts!

I'm aiming to have my car ready for the PCA DE at Watkins Glen, maybe I'll see you there.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:45 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
I've been retired for 4 years now. When people ask me "how I'm liking it" , my response is "I highly recommended it".
Congratulations!
BTW the funny thing about retirement, you'll find yourself wondering how you ever found time to do anything when you were working because for some reason when you're retired you seem to have less time for anything.
Isn't that the truth

Been retired for 7 1/2 years now. Best job I ever had the , the pay is OK and the hours can't be beat.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations to both Harvey and Jim,
Harvey I will be at the Rolex 24 from Thursday through Sunday,
Lets get together and discuss 944 race cars. email me you phone number.
Max George
225 573-0664
maxenergy@***.net
PS: Jim did you buy yourself a Cup Car as a retirement present????
Old 01-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Enjoy retirement! If you make it to the eastern part of NY state, let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retirement!