Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Doug Bray??? Who dat?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

odurandina, I believe that I do have factual basis. Swapping a lsx into anything is difficult. Into a 944 is next to impossible to do it correctly. Your 968 looks like it rolled out of Neckersulm with that engine. But at the cost of two Ferrari's. Ls Swaps have been done for far less. But than you end up with a lower quality swap with poor fitment. See where I'm going.
The op mention this is his first car. With that said let me ask you this, do you think this kind of swap would be right for this individual?
To the op I don't mean any malicious. I'm just trying to save you a lot of grief.
The following users liked this post:
Northern_aqs (04-05-2021)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
odurandina, I believe that I do have factual basis. Swapping a lsx into anything is difficult. Into a 944 is next to impossible to do it correctly. Your 968 looks like it rolled out of Neckersulm with that engine. But at the cost of two Ferrari's. Ls Swaps have been done for far less. But than you end up with a lower quality swap with poor fitment. See where I'm going.
The op mention this is his first car. With that said let me ask you this, do you think this kind of swap would be right for this individual?
To the op I don't mean any malicious. I'm just trying to save you a lot of grief.
No problem bro! I do appreciate the input, I work literally next door to my house, the grocery store/mall is a block down. I don't need a car at all, I just wanted a fun car that I can work on on my down time. For the record, both of the opinions based on swaps have their pros and cons, just which pro outweighs the other more to you. For me the swap did, but for many other people (with less mechanical and electrical experience for example) buying the car outright is a much better option. I guess I could have explained my situation further..
Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, I get the keys to that beast tomorrow, don't I?

.......and for the record it was 2 Ferrari and the heart of a ZO6.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:03 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

do bears sh_t in the woods.......
Old 01-18-2018, 11:31 PM
autocomman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
A (habitually) wrong, passive aggressive (snotty) opinion founded upon almost no factual basis..... attaining a properly sorted swapped v8 isn't easy.... but, if you want a point and shoot/ black box/ mercenary powerplant, then take the car end to end across the continent, and do it better, faster, stronger, and more reliably than the pre-existing engine... project more bass, more attitude and stomp on just about everything else on the road. It isn't a question of drivability or performance, but of cost and inconvenience. It is a personal choice oriented about the question of how many cylinders and how much performance you desire vs your willingness to withstand the cost and aggravation to get it. Irrespective of whether a 944 or 968 is worthy of this level of trouble to improve it -- there is not one technical issue with LS swaps that hasn't been solved.

Dissenting opinion along the lines of diminished drivability, reliability, a ruined vehicle, or a harsh/poor driving experience is '944 propaganda' on display..... a 30 year old powerplant (now) making significantly less hp than when it left the Porsche factory 34 years ago that costs a lot of money to keep up, isn't ruining much....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hwt9gTVSYs#

If you're dedicated to the long march to converting a 944 or 968 to the next level, rather than fantasizing about spending more & more money building a perfect engine -- INSTEAD, consider an attitude adjustment, or a production supercar already sorted. The recent C7 Corvette is certainly a bargain.

It might seem contradictory, especially if referencing the opinion i quoted above... But what you really need is a "really great LS for pennies" recipe, or relatively inexpensive, LS 1, 2, 3 pulled from a wrecked car, (or a crate) and stick to a plan. Prepare to focus far greater effort (comparively) on the quality of the engine swap (itself). Be prepared to spend $15, 18, 20, 25 k making your v8 swapped car a daily drivable v8 swapped car. Set the bar high, including swapping the top gear/s of whichever transmission chosen..... Be realistic about what you need to put in, and what you expect to get out. That way, you'll end up with something you'll want to keep around and drive a long time.

Personally, i wouldn't attempt such an effort on a 944. i would choose a 968. I just think it's a bit farther along on the 924/944/ 968 evolution. Then, i would be preparing to make further improvements to said car.

Well i have to say this is right on the money. Can it be done on a budget? Absolutely, but careful parts selection is key, and your gonna be doing most of the fab work if not all of it. There may be kits to 'bolt it in' but ive never need a bolt in kit for anything that just bolts in. Can it help get you where you wanna be quicker and easier? Sure, but there is no turn key kit for anything. It will cost more than you think it will, unless you have a realistic view on what things cost. You can easily figure 2-4k for an LS used, dressed, harness, ECU tuned. Thats not including exhaust, water and oil cooling, etc etc. I would think you could do it under 10k, if your creative, and have a properly sorted car.

Sonething simple like the brakes, from pics looks like you cant really easily keep the stock booster, so no booster or hydroboost, and that can be quite a complication right there. Then take into account as mentioned the transmission. Stock LS is at least 300+ HP, if you go with an LS3 thats 400+ adn will the stock trans be able to survive that? Thats a super pricey endeavor right there, so 15, 20, 25k may be more realistic.

Either way I still support the LS swap....but have a reasonable expectation of the complication youll have and $$ youll spend before you even start. Then double the cost and effort needed
Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Currently considering this project. A 924S popped up in my area and I found a smoking deal on an LR4 4.8. While some may ask why not the 5.3L LM7, I answer because of the price and the 924S chassis just doesn't have the ability to fit a fatter tire on the back for 'control'.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:27 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

exactly
Old 01-30-2018, 03:07 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 84944
I have had my heart set on this project for quite a while as my favourite body of any car was the 944, it just lacked the power I wanted.
FWIW, I think Porsche anticipated this, which is why they developed the 928. I assure you, a 928 will offer you lots of opportunities to work on it...
Old 01-30-2018, 03:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Mongo
Currently considering this project. A 924S popped up in my area and I found a smoking deal on an LR4 4.8. While some may ask why not the 5.3L LM7, I answer because of the price and the 924S chassis just doesn't have the ability to fit a fatter tire on the back for 'control'.
what're you going to do for exh. manifolds (re: clearance to steering shaft)?
that's the one sticking point for CA swaps, everything else is OK and manageable.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:49 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steer by wire?
Old 01-31-2018, 01:48 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
what're you going to do for exh. manifolds (re: clearance to steering shaft)?
that's the one sticking point for CA swaps, everything else is OK and manageable.
Shorty headers also exist for this reason.

I found a $40 LS6 cam too. Checking part numbers to see if this is the later cam (which is the more aggressive one).

As for PCM, I am going FITech and their standalone system. It's a track car, not a CARB compliant hunk of bolts.

Last edited by Mongo; 01-31-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Thanks V2. Late model cam not early.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:00 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

ah, non-CARB compliance opens up all kinds of doors.

and i thought the later LS6 cam was more aggressive, or was it the intake mani that made the difference from 385 to 405hp ?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:04 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Ack, you're right it is the later one. Swappers of the LR4 are even turbocharging to get TONS more power. The heads flow very well on that motor. Turbo is not something I want to do with a short wheel base 924S though.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

cast iron block with small bore...
give it a 4" stroke (~5.9L) and boost the beast to infinity...

Quick Reply: LS1 conversion questions