Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:52 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 conversion questions

I'm brand new to this whole engine swap thing, as a matter of fact this is my first car. Anyways I have a 1984 NA 944 that I'm going to drop an LM7 in (just rated at 540 HP, but still building). I had a few questions regarding this that I have not found in my months of research so here it goes:
1. Will the AOR transmission be able to handle the horsepower and torque? What can I use if it cannot?
2. I want to change over the brakes to an M030 setup, but don't know specific parts I need. For example I know I need spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, pads, and struts, but what year/fit of said parts and will the stock 1984 NA control arms need to be changed?
3. Would I be able to use the LM7 interior wiring or need to stay with the stock?
4. If I slap a twin turbo on the motor, where can I mount them, if anyone has experience?
5. The biggest question (to me), with the brake booster delete, where can I find a dual master cylinder and mount having the only944 firewall brace (rotted firewall) and will the clutch master cylinder be able to stay stock?
6. Is there anything I have probably overlooked that you have any recommendations for?

I think thats it for now. I will likely have more questions in the future. Loaded questions, I know. But any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Oh and if anyone can read legal stuff, will I be able to use a Holley HP EFI or Dominator EFI and pass emissions in the Phoenix area? I looked this up for countless hours and could not find anything definitive.

Last edited by 84944; 01-07-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:33 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of opinions expressed here on a lsx swap. Here's my take. If you want a sports car with an ls1 engine, buy a Corvette with a ls1 engine. In the end you'll be ahead cost wise, fitment, performance and overall quality the car. BTW I used to own1980 Corvette with a 385 GMPP engine. I like my 143HP 83 944 better.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:29 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the input, but I already have the LM7 engine (only stock thing on it is the block which has been bored) and I have the 944 as well. I have had my heart set on this project for quite a while as my favourite body of any car was the 944, it just lacked the power I wanted. I loved the idea of actually working to put the engine in and making it my own- inside and out. I am definitely not a buy it already done kind of guy.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

first: go here and read/post, all the info youll ever need is here:
http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/

1) yes
2) M030 is a suspension upgrade package, optional on the 944 turbos and 944S2. if you can find a 1986 turbo M030 it will all fit on your car and you wont have to change wheels (offset is the same).
--- 1987+ the offset is different so youll need to change wheels. either way you need literally every single part to swap over to your car from the donor.
3) you mean wiring harness for engine? yes you can use it but will probably trim some things off it that aren't used in a 944.
4) ive only seen one TT 944 V8, there just isn't any room under the hood with the V8 in there. you'd probably have to put the turbos up where the headlights go. don't see a point in TT'ing a V8 in a 944 - if you're going to get 540hp from the engine as is, how much longer in jail is 6-7-800hp going to get you?
5) wilwood

Originally Posted by 84944
I'm brand new to this whole engine swap thing, as a matter of fact this is my first car. Anyways I have a 1984 NA 944 that I'm going to drop an LM7 in (just rated at 540 HP, but still building). I had a few questions regarding this that I have not found in my months of research so here it goes:
1. Will the AOR transmission be able to handle the horsepower and torque? What can I use if it cannot?
2. I want to change over the brakes to an M030 setup, but don't know specific parts I need. For example I know I need spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, pads, and struts, but what year/fit of said parts and will the stock 1984 NA control arms need to be changed?
3. Would I be able to use the LM7 interior wiring or need to stay with the stock?
4. If I slap a twin turbo on the motor, where can I mount them, if anyone has experience?
5. The biggest question (to me), with the brake booster delete, where can I find a dual master cylinder and mount having the only944 firewall brace (rotted firewall) and will the clutch master cylinder be able to stay stock?
6. Is there anything I have probably overlooked that you have any recommendations for?

I think thats it for now. I will likely have more questions in the future. Loaded questions, I know. But any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Oh and if anyone can read legal stuff, will I be able to use a Holley HP EFI or Dominator EFI and pass emissions in the Phoenix area? I looked this up for countless hours and could not find anything definitive.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:51 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
first: go here and read/post, all the info youll ever need is here:
http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/

1) yes
2) M030 is a suspension upgrade package, optional on the 944 turbos and 944S2. if you can find a 1986 turbo M030 it will all fit on your car and you wont have to change wheels (offset is the same).
--- 1987+ the offset is different so youll need to change wheels. either way you need literally every single part to swap over to your car from the donor.
3) you mean wiring harness for engine? yes you can use it but will probably trim some things off it that aren't used in a 944.
4) ive only seen one TT 944 V8, there just isn't any room under the hood with the V8 in there. you'd probably have to put the turbos up where the headlights go. don't see a point in TT'ing a V8 in a 944 - if you're going to get 540hp from the engine as is, how much longer in jail is 6-7-800hp going to get you?
5) wilwood
Thank you for all that info! I have a scrap yard dedicated to older Porsche vehicles nearby so I'll give them another shout for the 86 turbo, I did mean the interior wiring (sunroof/window motors/ radio/etc. I am not restoring the interior but upgrading to my specific tastes), the funny thing is I drive like a grandma on the road but on the track it's an entirely different story so the TT is definitely not needed, more of just a "when I get bored" option. Thank you again !
Old 01-07-2018, 10:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

nothing interior-wise from the LM7 donor vehicle is usable on a 944.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:43 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a company that has expended a great amount of time and resources to make all the parts needed to do the conversion. PM for further info if you would like.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:15 AM
autocomman
Advanced

I think the LS swap is the best thing you can do for a 944. Super cheep to find an NA car you get the awesome that is the 944 as far as lay out is feeling driving position, such a good fun car to drive. But the power the car needs easily and reliably and simplicity of the LS, It's such a good swap. Far as turbo goes if you really want to you could do a remote mount in the rear of the car.

Some people don't get it that's fine it's not for them. There are enough examples of the underpowered overly expensive motor that's in there to not worry bout a v8 swap. ;-) Good luck with the swap that's just my 2 cents.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a website for 944hybrids where you can get all the information you need.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a dual master firewall mount for sale if you need one. Tilton cylinders $600 shipped in the US.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:29 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Re: M030 is there such a thing as an 86 Turbo M030 with the 928S4 brakes and stronger hubs, different offset wheels, ride height adjustable struts, etc? That might be a snipe hunt.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
If you want a sports car with an ls1 engine, buy a Corvette with a ls1 engine. In the end you'll be ahead cost wise, fitment, performance and overall quality the car.

A (habitually) wrong, passive aggressive (snotty) opinion founded upon almost no factual basis..... attaining a properly sorted swapped v8 isn't easy.... but, if you want a point and shoot/ black box/ mercenary powerplant, then take the car end to end across the continent, and do it better, faster, stronger, and more reliably than the pre-existing engine... project more bass, more attitude and stomp on just about everything else on the road. It isn't a question of drivability or performance, but of cost and inconvenience. It is a personal choice oriented about the question of how many cylinders and how much performance you desire vs your willingness to withstand the cost and aggravation to get it. Irrespective of whether a 944 or 968 is worthy of this level of trouble to improve it -- there is not one technical issue with LS swaps that hasn't been solved.

Dissenting opinion along the lines of diminished drivability, reliability, a ruined vehicle, or a harsh/poor driving experience is '944 propaganda' on display..... a 30 year old powerplant (now) making significantly less hp than when it left the Porsche factory 34 years ago that costs a lot of money to keep up, isn't ruining much....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hwt9gTVSYs#

If you're dedicated to the long march to converting a 944 or 968 to the next level, rather than fantasizing about spending more & more money building a perfect engine -- INSTEAD, consider an attitude adjustment, or a production supercar already sorted. The recent C7 Corvette is certainly a bargain.

It might seem contradictory, especially if referencing the opinion i quoted above... But what you really need is a "really great LS for pennies" recipe, or relatively inexpensive, LS 1, 2, 3 pulled from a wrecked car, (or a crate) and stick to a plan. Prepare to focus far greater effort (comparively) on the quality of the engine swap (itself). Be prepared to spend $15, 18, 20, 25 k making your v8 swapped car a daily drivable v8 swapped car. Set the bar high, including swapping the top gear/s of whichever transmission chosen..... Be realistic about what you need to put in, and what you expect to get out. That way, you'll end up with something you'll want to keep around and drive a long time.

Personally, i wouldn't attempt such an effort on a 944. i would choose a 968. I just think it's a bit farther along on the 924/944/ 968 evolution. Then, i would be preparing to make further improvements to said car.

Most recent supercar burnout:-drift for the crowd
Where: Malibu Cars and Coffee....
When: yesterday.

This photo; today getting a smoothie.

Last edited by odurandina; 01-09-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:06 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
That might will be a snipe hunt.
There, fixed that for ya.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:25 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
opinion founded upon almost no factual basis.....
How much did that swap cost you?

​​​​​​
Old 01-08-2018, 09:02 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

First, consider just a properly dressed LS engine for 944/968, + exhaust + transmission upgrades.... Counting sorting things after the car was delivered including tweaking the hydroboost system I reached someplace near $22 k after acquiring the bare engine and reworked transmission. I saved a bit here and there. There were a few places to cut corners, like, will i use a used oil cooler or the more expensive correct sized (new) cooler.... customized hydroboost lines, or crap that will fail.... cheap flywheel or more expensive aluminum flywheel? Cheap tuner or (better) tuner.... There's many more examples.... then refreshing cv joints, suspension, brakes, etc.....

My forged LS7 + custom [dressed for 968] engine and redone transmission was a lot more. i've come to live with the numbers, and lifted my suspension of disbelief. There have been scores of big 944T builds on these same forums that didn't make it through the first year before they blew up (some right on the launchpad). Consider that, and I got through easy. The engine could have been one of those budget builds, and it still would have been a nice GT car.

You have to consider very carefully how much you love your car, and how long you plan to keep it -- before you decide to do this. i could have had 2 Ferrari 456GT's for the cost of building this car. That's showing a lot of love (illness) regarding the 944/ 968 platform.

In conclusion; i went from driving a semi exotic engine to having a semi-exotic ENGINE SWAP with a "production car type" engine cocooned inside, and daily driving it 100% of the time for the last 2 1/2 years in all but the last 3 New England winters.

*thanks in no small part to lots of help from a pro back yard "911 mechanic;" Doug Bray.

Last edited by odurandina; 01-08-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 conversion questions