Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil & Last Century Porsche Road Engines , some light reading

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 05:31 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

O is incorrect ( again ) , 45 deg F = 7.2 deg cel , Porsche printed in the owners manual that came with these last century cars that 20w-50 is quite OK to minus 10 deg cel ( 14 deg F ) , so please " O " ( whatever you actual name is ? ) you have to stop giving out incorrect information

As for a 0w-40 engine oil in a last century Porsche 944 / 951 / 944S2 / 968 engine , what happens when the oil temp reaches operating temp of 90 to 100 deg cel ? , I will tell you what happens , you will damage/ destroy No 2 con-rod bearing at high sustained RPM because the 944 engine will not have sufficient oil pressure to overcome the radially fed crankshaft & to overcome this oil pressure short fall the engine con-rod bearings require sufficient oil PRESSURE ( 20w-50 ) to protect from metal to metal contact & with oil temp of 90 deg cel to 100 deg cel a 0w-40 oil viscosity will not give sufficient oil pressure & made worse as the oil film strength is not up to the application as well

Remember "O" , normal oil temp at high RPM quickly reaches 100 deg cel ( very normal operating temp )

All very basic physics for a very uncomplicated engine
Old 09-12-2018, 02:38 AM
Manx500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

0 weight is just 0 on a relative scale, it still has viscosity if measuring on centipose or centistokes via you favorite viscometer or rheometer. All base stocks will reduce viscosity as they heat up, the answer is to add viscosity modifyers. the best oil is one without viscosity modifyers a straight weight.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
O is incorrect ( again ) , 45 deg F = 7.2 deg cel , Porsche printed in the owners manual that came with these last century cars that 20w-50 is quite OK to minus 10 deg cel ( 14 deg F ) , so please " O " ( whatever you actual name is ? ) you have to stop giving out incorrect information

As for a 0w-40 engine oil in a last century Porsche 944 / 951 / 944S2 / 968 engine , what happens when the oil temp reaches operating temp of 90 to 100 deg cel ? , I will tell you what happens , you will damage/ destroy No 2 con-rod bearing at high sustained RPM because the 944 engine will not have sufficient oil pressure to overcome the radially fed crankshaft & to overcome this oil pressure short fall the engine con-rod bearings require sufficient oil PRESSURE ( 20w-50 ) to protect from metal to metal contact & with oil temp of 90 deg cel to 100 deg cel a 0w-40 oil viscosity will not give sufficient oil pressure & made worse as the oil film strength is not up to the application as well

Remember "O" , normal oil temp at high RPM quickly reaches 100 deg cel ( very normal operating temp )

All very basic physics for a very uncomplicated engine
thanks this is excellent info from lots of years of experience. I was running 10-40 for a couple years and now switched to 20-50 vr1 on my s2. Seems it will last longer

i have an old 78 924. Does this info hold for those old engines as well? I think I have always put 10-40 in that one. Oops?
Old 10-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
1 more thing. 20w50 doesn't even flow particularly well on cool spring and fall mornings.
No, it doesn't, but one thing Bruce mentions in the beginning of his post is that, over the course of decades, he's never observed unusual wear due to cold starts. His entire analysis is based on running the engines with low viscosity oils at normal operating temperatures (100C) and high RPMs? He attributes this to the design of these engines, particularly cam, timing chain, rod bearing and lifter wear specifically caused by low oil film strength at normal temperatures.

I have operated my 928 for decades using M1 10-40, for 7 years the car was domiciled in Teton County Wyoming, though I never operated it in winter since I have an aversion to driving high torque rear wheel drive cars on ice.

I think his point is that the relatively brief times the engines are "cold" and filled with a 20-50 oil don't do near the damage caused by running that same engine hot at high RPMs filled with 0-40 for long periods of time? That was the take away message for me anyway.

But hey, it's your engine and your car. For my own part, I'll be using 20w50.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 10-17-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:59 AM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This morning was +5F and frost everywhere. Maybe +10 in the garage? Still running 20w-50 VR1 and watched the oil pressure on my S2 rise to 5 bars about a third of a second after what sounded like 3 turns on the starter. Near instant engine startup. Let it idle about 5 mins in driveway then took off slowly the first few blocks as I usually do. Oil pressure was “pegged” at 5 bars all the way to work. Then 3.5 at idle in parking lot almost 35 mins later. It was -7F outside with windchill.

I am still not seeing the negative side of 20w-50 even at below zero degrees F. Is that 1/3 of a second slow turning engine really as bad as they say for engine wear compared to nearly 40mins HOT driving time in rush hour stop and go traffic?

I am gonna set a quart of VR1 outside every night and see if it pours in the morning. If not, I will take the Jeep that day. Lets see how cold we can get with this stuff.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:16 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevieporsche
This morning was +5F and frost everywhere. Maybe +10 in the garage? Still running 20w-50 VR1 and watched the oil pressure on my S2 rise to 5 bars about a third of a second after what sounded like 3 turns on the starter. Near instant engine startup. Let it idle about 5 mins in driveway then took off slowly the first few blocks as I usually do. Oil pressure was “pegged” at 5 bars all the way to work. Then 3.5 at idle in parking lot almost 35 mins later. It was -7F outside with windchill.

I am still not seeing the negative side of 20w-50 even at below zero degrees F. Is that 1/3 of a second slow turning engine really as bad as they say for engine wear compared to nearly 40mins HOT driving time in rush hour stop and go traffic?

I am gonna set a quart of VR1 outside every night and see if it pours in the morning. If not, I will take the Jeep that day. Lets see how cold we can get with this stuff.

There's not a temperature at which the oil undergoes a step change and suddenly freezes, the viscosity changes with temperature. The concern is not over the initial starting of the engine, its the time immediately following that where the oil pump is trying to push a much more viscous fluid. Since the pump is turning, pressure is there, but you don't get the same flow that would normally be supplied when the oil temperature is higher. Its the reduction of oil flow that is more dangerous to your engine. The engine is designed to run at a certain temperature, and the oil properties are chosen to match the lubrication it needs at that temperature. If the ambient air is much lower temperature, your engine will run cooler in normal driving and could necessitate a change in oil. Refer to the recommendations from Porsche to cater to your applicable temperature range. If your temperatures are below -10C, then 20W-50 is not recommended.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

That chart is very telling: though it's based on older API standards, it still reveals that a 10w-50--although labelled as capable of behaving like a "50"--actually behaves less so than a 15w-50. And what's with the straight grades behaving so different than the multi-grades?

Clearly, there's a lot of fake news on those oil bottle labels!

I'm just not sure how motor oil producers are allowed to label oils using a standard measure (ex. 10w) even if the oil actually doesn't flow as a 10w in cold temps (10w-60) or label 0w-40 when it can't actually perform like a "40" etc.

Imagine food labelling that was so "off"! Contains 10% sugar ... but actually 50% sorry lol
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 AM
Peter1800
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche classic oil

Question for Bruce - the write-up on Porsche classic oil, 10W60, lists reasons why that oil is good for air-cooled 3.0 911s up. Do you recommend adding ZDDP during an oil change using that oil? (I’ve gone ahead and ordered the oil, and my car is for street use, with the occasional run to 4500 rpms getting up to highway speeds)
Peter
Old 12-03-2018, 11:54 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Imagine food labelling that was so "off"! Contains 10% sugar ... but actually 50% sorry lol
No need to imagine, it already exists

Tic Tacs are 94.5% sugar but labelled "0 grams of sugar"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic_Tac
Tic Tac (officially styled as "tic tac") is a brand of small, hard mints, consisting of 94.5% sugar
From the official Tic Tac USA site
Tic Tac® mints do contain sugar as listed in the ingredient statement. However, since the amount of sugar per serving (1 mint) is less than 0.5 grams, FDA labeling requirements permit the Nutrition Facts to state that there are 0 grams of sugar per serving

Old 12-03-2018, 12:11 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
...Tic Tacs are 94.5% sugar but labelled "0 grams of sugar”...
Ffs its just a Tic Tac, it has minute amounts of everything, you’d consume more sugar and twice the calories from licking a stamp
Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

It does have a disclaimer at least. Maybe they should put those on oil bottles too:

0w-50*

*May or may not behave as a 0w or 50 under certain circumstances

Quick Reply: Engine Oil & Last Century Porsche Road Engines , some light reading