Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Problem...No power to injectors 944S

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 03:24 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
That doesn't act like the dead AFM/MAF I mentioned. What is the fuel pressure when you are cranking. If you haven't tested with a gauge, I'd say that's the next test. I might also be inclined to have someone spray starter fluid under the air filter as you crank so see if it seems to fire.
Hi Tom. Somewhere I mentioned I checked pressure at 3.8 bar which should be what the S gets I believe. It is there when cranking too. I was thinking the same thing. I’m trying to figure the best way to add gas into the intake...tried just before the throttle body. I was checking compression with a different gauge then afterwards it fired for a second. Don’t know if it was the fuel or what. Such a problem child.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally

Hi Tom. Somewhere I mentioned I checked pressure at 3.8 bar which should be what the S gets I believe. It is there when cranking too. I was thinking the same thing. I’m trying to figure the best way to add gas into the intake...tried just before the throttle body. I was checking compression with a different gauge then afterwards it fired for a second. Don’t know if it was the fuel or what. Such a problem child.
Oh, sorry, missed that. Personally I wouldn't try to add liquid gas, but rather pop the air filter out and spray starter fluid in where the air is being sucked in. If the motor started a bit after pulling plugs to check compression, you have to wonder if it is flooding and needed to air out a bit? Try holding the gas pedal to the floor to let in max air while cranking, and see if that helps it catch.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:04 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Oh, sorry, missed that. Personally I wouldn't try to add liquid gas, but rather pop the air filter out and spray starter fluid in where the air is being sucked in. If the motor started a bit after pulling plugs to check compression, you have to wonder if it is flooding and needed to air out a bit? Try holding the gas pedal to the floor to let in max air while cranking, and see if that helps it catch.
I was wondering about that too. I did try partial and full throttle but it doesn't seem to help. The start plugs get soaked so in this case maybe it indeed is getting fouled.

Time to approach this form a flooding stand point then. What can be the causes? I've tried two sets of injectors and the result is the same so if it is getting too much gas then the injectors are staying open too long. The FPR is fairly new. Would the fuel damper have any effect? I tested and it does hold a vacuum.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Try a little starter fluid.

How old is the gas?
Old 12-26-2017, 09:42 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Try a little starter fluid.

How old is the gas?
Gas is only a couple months old. Starter fluid doesn't seem do anything, however, I should try it without the fuel pump running.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:46 PM
jderimig
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you pulled the valve covers yet to verify that #1 cam lobes are up at TDC and rotor on cylinder 1?
Old 12-26-2017, 09:48 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by jderimig
Have you pulled the valve covers yet to verify that #1 cam lobes are up at TDC and rotor on cylinder 1?
Yes all mentioned earlier in the thread. I've been through the timing multiple times including resetting timing with my dial gauges.
Chris
Old 12-30-2017, 01:44 AM
jem60
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been following your thread and issue. Listening to the video you posted it sounded just like my 944s track car that was almost impossible to start. It was always flooded at starting but once running ran great. We put a fuel pump cutoff switch in and started cranking without fuel pump. It would start and immediately I'd turn on pump. So you ask where am I going iwth this. Well we found out the problem was that we'd eliminated the hose from the plastic "J" part of the intake manifold. In making a track build simple, we figured that the hose just put oil in the intake as it pulls in the oil mist from the AOS. By chance one day I took the plug off and it started perfectly. Turns out the "S" needs that tube/bleed open as the DME is expecting that air leak. It might be worth a try to unplug that hose on the intake and see if it starts. If so either its clogged or has some type of restriction. Part I'm talking about is hose marked 5 in diagram below.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:35 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by jem60
Been following your thread and issue. Listening to the video you posted it sounded just like my 944s track car that was almost impossible to start. It was always flooded at starting but once running ran great. We put a fuel pump cutoff switch in and started cranking without fuel pump. It would start and immediately I'd turn on pump. So you ask where am I going iwth this. Well we found out the problem was that we'd eliminated the hose from the plastic "J" part of the intake manifold. In making a track build simple, we figured that the hose just put oil in the intake as it pulls in the oil mist from the AOS. By chance one day I took the plug off and it started perfectly. Turns out the "S" needs that tube/bleed open as the DME is expecting that air leak. It might be worth a try to unplug that hose on the intake and see if it starts. If so either its clogged or has some type of restriction. Part I'm talking about is hose marked 5 in diagram below.
I pulled the hose but not much of a change. I get it hit on a could cylinders but that’s it. I’m going to take off the intake again once t isn’t 10 below and check for blockages. I tried another known working DME and no change.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:31 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

I'm going to suggest that you do not have proper compression. Do a compression check and report back.

(I believe that you have the camshafts mistimed. The pictures in the factory workshop manual on page 15-111 have some unusual orientations and, if you look at them incorrectly, the valve timing is all wrong.)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:36 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by 931guru
I'm going to suggest that you do not have proper compression. Do a compression check and report back.

(I believe that you have the camshafts mistimed. The pictures in the factory workshop manual on page 15-111 have some unusual orientations and, if you look at them incorrectly, the valve timing is all wrong.)
This was the initial thought but earlier in this thread I mentioned it was checked and timing double checked with dial gauges. I have photos posted too of the cams in TDC position.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:58 PM
931guru
Drifting

While I understand that you are satisfied with the cam timing, etc. the real proof of good valve timing is good compression. I know that it's a pain, but, considering the problems that you are having, eliminating lack of compression should be considered.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:26 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Sorry I should have said I did check compression but I really need a better tester than the Harbor Freight one that never seats well.

EDIT: Actually I have a leak down tester to also try.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:38 PM
931guru
Drifting

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
Sorry I should have said I did check compression but I really need a better tester than the Harbor Freight one that never seats well.

EDIT: Actually I have a leak down tester to also try.
A leak down tester would be adequate, but not as telling as a compression tester with a threaded connection at the spark plug hole.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:21 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While I understand that you are satisfied with the cam timing, etc. the real proof of good valve timing is good compression. I know that it's a pain, but, considering the problems that you are having, eliminating lack of compression should be considered.
A leak down tester would be adequate, but not as telling as a compression tester with a threaded connection at the spark plug hole.
+1 to this!

Quick Reply: New Problem...No power to injectors 944S