Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Problem...No power to injectors 944S

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
I missed the part of disconnecting the DME. I did that this morning before I left and I still have continuity at the injector plug. The only way I don't is by disconnecting the ballast resistor pack.
Then you have a short in the resistor pack or you fuel tank vent valve it seem like it's on the same circuit as the injectors?
Old 12-19-2017, 03:05 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Dwizle that is what I was beginning to suspect. I had been smelling gas in the cabin for a while if it sat so I also may have broken hoses to the charcoal canister...will check.
I'll be putting some more time into it this weekend.
Chris
Old 12-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

@Dwizle that is what I was beginning to suspect. I had been smelling gas in the cabin for a while if it sat so I also may have broken hoses to the charcoal canister...will check.
I'll be putting some more time into it this weekend.
Chris
Crazy that they would put that on the same circuit as the injectors. also check out what the other 4 connections on that circuit are too might be one of them... Good Luck...
Old 12-21-2017, 11:05 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Dwizle
Crazy that they would put that on the same circuit as the injectors. also check out what the other 4 connections on that circuit are too might be one of them... Good Luck...
I did first want to eliminate anything mechanical so I primed and installed my old lifters which were actually in decent shape. I did that and reset the timing again. Other than a momentary hint of ignition it dies out like no fuel.
My next step since I tried to trace all the injector electronics is I am going to set up a spray test with the injectors spraying into four jars and cranking.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:45 AM
mikehayes
Racer

If you don't feel like removing the whole rail, I was able to easiliy look down the spark plug hole with a flashlight while turning over the vehicle and see if the injectors were firing. it'll basically spray you in the face if they're working. Only plug in one at a time so you don't flood the engine.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:26 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Dwizle
Pulled out the rail and injectors are firing correctly which I suspected. That leaves compression and spark. Since compression isn't the real issue here I am going to have to trace out the spark situation.
Possible culprits, ignition control module, coil (fairly new), cap, rotor. Cap tests good and is pretty new. Rotor is pretty new too and tests okay.
I mentioned earlier I took video of #1 spark working and I've checked with my old school timing light and I'm getting hits through the wires.

This is a head scratcher.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:20 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kind of sounds not getting enough fuel to sustain a idle. Any air leaks in the intake track? Coolant sensor good? BTW not a fan of using starting fluid on a gasoline engine. Besides that it can cause engine damage, it can mask a ignition problem. Use gasoline instead.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:29 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

It’s getting plenty of fuel based on the amount I got just with a few cranks. This isn’t a vacuum issue unfortunately as I’m familiar with those. This is a complete no start issue.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:24 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Go back to the basics.
Check the compression with a compression gauge.
Check to see that you have a good 3/8" of spark jump at the end of the plug wires.
Throw a ounce of fresh gas down the intake. It takes more gas then you think.
Like Tom said earlier, it's a short list.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Other than a momentary hint of ignition it dies out like no fuel.
Have you checked the AFM/MAF signal and confirmed no big vacuum leaks? The DME will supply fuel based mostly on the start-up maps when you crank the motor, and once the engine starts it then uses the AFM/MAF signal as the primary means of metering the fuel. As such, if the car starts up every time and seems to run smoothly for a second before it dies, there's a strong chance that your air-fuel ratio is way off -- most likely either because you have a large air leak or because the DME is not getting a good signal from the AFM/MAF. On the other hand, if the motor spits, sputters and stumbles as you crank, then that suggests something wrong with the intake, compression, power, exhaust cycle -- e.g., no compression, bad valve timing, etc. Maybe post a video of the motor cranking/dying?

Since the head was recently off, you shouldn't assume good compression or timing. The odds favor some issue related to the last work you did, assuming it was running fine before. Also, don't assume the plugs are not fouled just because they look clean -- you can't always see when a plug is fouled, especially if it's the result of flooding the motor. Pull a plug, ground it, and watch to see that a strong spark is actually jumping the gap in the plugs you are running. How's the fuel? Was it sitting for years and/or otherwise compromised with water, etc.?
Old 12-26-2017, 12:22 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

At last I grabbed a video of what it is doing.
I took the intake off today to at least check my connections for the IPS back to the DME and tested the Idle Air Control valve. Those were all good.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:22 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

You're getting fuel to the cylinders, but just not enough. Pour some fuel down the intake and see what happens. Not saying it's not timing, fouled plug, etc.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:24 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by marc abrams
Go back to the basics.
Check the compression with a compression gauge.
Check to see that you have a good 3/8" of spark jump at the end of the plug wires.
Throw a ounce of fresh gas down the intake. It takes more gas then you think.
Like Tom said earlier, it's a short list.
Compression is there (about the same as before I started). In the video above it did stublenon
its own for a second before I shot the video.
I ran out of time so I will go back an check for a good spark.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:32 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by marc abrams
You're getting fuel to the cylinders, but just not enough. Pour some fuel down the intake and see what happens. Not saying it's not timing, fouled plug, etc.
Okay. Just trying to figure out the best way on an S to do that.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

That doesn't act like the dead AFM/MAF I mentioned. What is the fuel pressure when you are cranking. If you haven't tested with a gauge, I'd say that's the next test. I might also be inclined to have someone spray starter fluid under the air filter as you crank so see if it seems to fire.

Quick Reply: New Problem...No power to injectors 944S