Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYC Area Glass Hatch Repair / Reseal

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:34 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Default NYC Area Glass Hatch Repair / Reseal

Has anyone had success in New York City with a glass company who could preform the hatch resealing? I've got the classic separation along the top hinge and prefer not to attempt this repair myself. I'm willing to go to Long Island or NJ for someone good!

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:42 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been looking around for a while and haven’t found anyone in the north east...if you find someone post it up here!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The speedy auto glass location near me was able to do a full reseal on the hatch for my S back in September for $200 ish and the quality of the job was excellent. I’m an hour north of Toronto so obviously it’s not a direct referral for the two of you but I’d recommend talking to your local franchise of a national glass chain. They will likely have some experience with the process if not directly with the car. I liked the work so much I’ll be taking my turbo there in the spring.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:08 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Northern_aqs
The speedy auto glass location near me was able to do a full reseal on the hatch for my S back in September for $200 ish and the quality of the job was excellent. I’m an hour north of Toronto so obviously it’s not a direct referral for the two of you but I’d recommend talking to your local franchise of a national glass chain. They will likely have some experience with the process if not directly with the car. I liked the work so much I’ll be taking my turbo there in the spring.
I had thought of that but worried that they would mess it up. Did you give them any directions or just drop the car off and ask them to re seal the hatch?
Old 11-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had spoken with them before bringing the car in and they demonstrated an understanding of the process based on two guys in the shop having performed it on 944s prior. The one tip I would offer is to stress that the job’s quality takes priority over the turn around time and that if they need to keep it for a few days then go ahead. They ended up bouncing from my car to others and in total they had the car for three days but only charged for actual time spent. The quality of work was outstanding and it showed they knew what they were doing.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:51 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

I had spoken with them before bringing the car in and they demonstrated an understanding of the process based on two guys in the shop having performed it on 944s prior. The one tip I would offer is to stress that the job’s quality takes priority over the turn around time and that if they need to keep it for a few days then go ahead. They ended up bouncing from my car to others and in total they had the car for three days but only charged for actual time spent. The quality of work was outstanding and it showed they knew what they were doing.
thanks! I will check around next spring and see how I feel about a few shops. My concern is if it was so easy why is everyone grieving about there hatches?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:14 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, thank you!
Old 03-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to get this done when I return from Hershey in April, I love that they have worked on 944s before can I get the contact info for this shop?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
I would like to get this done when I return from Hershey in April, I love that they have worked on 944s before can I get the contact info for this shop?

Thanks in advance.
I'll be doing Hershey this year, also. I need to have this service done too. Hour north of Toronto sounds like Barrie? We occasionally go ice fishing in Orillia so I sort of know the area. Might have to take a summer road trip.

Quick Reply: NYC Area Glass Hatch Repair / Reseal