Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 1983 944 Owner/ Maintenance to cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:03 PM
usairforcevet
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New 1983 944 Owner/ Maintenance to cover

Hello all! I just purchased a 1983 Porsche 944 (unknown miles, over 100,000 if I were to guess. Runs like crap, but does run. The good news is the underside is in fantastic shape along with the body (will need paint though). I've looked at the engine and it is well used.

What are the most important suggested repairs. I've just ordered new oem plugs (owner had iridiums in it), new aftermarket fuel injectors (has originals), new air J tube (original and coated in cracks), used airbox from Ebay (previous owners thought they were race car drivers and just attached a cone oil/air filter), new fuel filter, new engine mounts (you can feel every vibration through the car), plugged the open tube hole on the cambelt cover (yes, the tube was removed and left open to the elements ((sigh)).

I am planning on doing a cylinder compression test to check that status (don't really want to pull the engine if I don't have to)

After some reading, I know I will need to replace the cam belt (as I have no idea how old it is, and there is a whine noise when the engine runs that gets louder with rpm increase). It looks like all of the air hoses need refreshed (pretty sure that's why the engine surges), oil cooler seal replacement (oil under the engine and some oil in the cooler overflow tank), oil separator seals replaced (oil residue in the intake tube), possibly rod bearings since the previous owner complained of the car dying after warming up (which I have not experienced).

WHAT ELSE?!!! Am I overlooking anything else that is important? Thanks for the help! I am actually stunned that a 35 year old car that has been through the ringer so much still runs. A true testament to Porsche manufacturing.

Pics show the one spot of rust on the hood which I have already covered with primer to stop the spread and that open hole I plugged (cut off the handle on a small garden trowel, ha!)
Attached Images       
Old 09-25-2017, 01:57 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Wow, looks like you have no balance shaft belt on there. Pull the covers and get an idea of whats going on in there. Start with timing belt, water pump, rollers, fuel pump, filter, cap, rotor, plug wires.

Try to find the original intake snorkel also, that filter is not doing the motor any good.

Congrats!!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:08 PM
usairforcevet
AutoX

Originally Posted by jackkthemackk
Wow, looks like you have no balance shaft belt on there. Pull the covers and get an idea of whats going on in there. Start with timing belt, water pump, rollers, fuel pump, filter, cap, rotor, plug wires.

Try to find the original intake snorkel also, that filter is not doing the motor any good.

Congrats!!
Thanks man! If the belt is ridged on the outside, it's there, I felt it. I did read that you might as well do the water pump while you were there. Cap, rotor and plug wires look new. Yeah, that air filter is ridiculous.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:29 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty sure I looked at this car near the air base in G.Forks, ND a couple years ago. If not it, has to be it's clone right down to the color, phone dials, and missing hood pad. It was wearing Carolina plates at the time and I walked away because it had wet floors. Two inch deep water inside and other issues. Seller was stuck @ 1800.

Hope you got him way down on the price.
It is savable ( everything is, even crumbs on the prairie like the '62 Cabriolet located about 10 miles away from this car --- possibly. Which had sat on alkalai ground for 40 years and looked like a screen door about 6 inches up. After a 200,000 + restoration, and 4 years of blood and sweat, it's a show queen and winning trophies. )

I wish you well in your endeavors. Don't lose hope; you've come to some good resources here.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 PM
usairforcevet
AutoX

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Pretty sure I looked at this car near the air base in G.Forks, ND a couple years ago. If not it, has to be it's clone right down to the color, phone dials, and missing hood pad. It was wearing Carolina plates at the time and I walked away because it had wet floors. Two inch deep water inside and other issues. Seller was stuck @ 1800.

Hope you got him way down on the price.
It is savable ( everything is, even crumbs on the prairie like the '62 Cabriolet located about 10 miles away from this car --- possibly. Which had sat on alkalai ground for 40 years and looked like a screen door about 6 inches up. After a 200,000 + restoration, and 4 years of blood and sweat, it's a show queen and winning trophies. )

I wish you well in your endeavors. Don't lose hope; you've come to some good resources here.
Ha! Definitely not the same car. No rust on this baby minus the hood spots. According to car fax this was a California car and an Oklahoma car for a few years. Thanks for the welcome!

Quick Reply: New 1983 944 Owner/ Maintenance to cover