Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone recognize this front splitter? Spotted at Lake Mills, WI Cars & Coffee

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default Anyone recognize this front splitter? Spotted at Lake Mills, WI Cars & Coffee

Spotted at Lake Mills Cars & Coffee, sent to me by a friend who attended the event.

At first I thought it may be a custom job, until I noticed the Porsche script in the center:

Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmm, maybe it's possible to email one or two of the officers of the region that put on the event, one of them is bound to be able to recognize the car because it's got to be fairly local.

People don't generally travel a great distance just for a Cars and Coffee drive.

What's interesting is, there isn't much lip on an NA lower valence to even attach a splitter/dam because the Urethane original valence is just curled for a little strength and was never designed to have attaching width for receiver clips or another form of fastener.

I hand made a fiberglass splitter for a factory NA valence for a track car once...., very hard to attach...., chances may be that the lower valence isn't factory either.

T
Old 09-21-2017, 03:55 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting that it says "PORSCHE" on it since Porsche is a stickler for use of their trademarks and if it was legit it would have to be a factory part, but have never seen it before.

However, it does finish the front end off very nicely; too bad Porsche didn't do this from the factory (or did they?).

It would be great if the owner could be found and asked about it.

Last edited by PaulD_944S2; 09-24-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to me like someone modified a rear spoiler.

The color and shape of the splitter, along with the font for "Porsche" looks like someone turned a rear spoiler around and made it into a splitter.

Could be wrong... ??!
Old 09-21-2017, 04:19 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree with pdxfj, looks like a modded rear spoiler portion, script is correct size.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Mr Exotherm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If pdxfj is right I'd love to know how it was done. Looks like something the factory should have offered.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:02 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

FWIW, that is not a splitter. It is a spoiler or valance.

The angles are not right to be a modified rear rubber spoiler. That would be an excessive amount of work to make it fit. Also, there would be no way to attach it.

Likely custom FG.

The tow hook appears cosmetic. There is nothing structural that far down, unless he has tied it is appropriately.

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Interesting that it say "PORSCHE" on it since Porsche is a stickler for use of their trademarks and if it was legit it would have to be a factory part, but have never seen it before.
Since nobody has seen this before, it is either custom or a very small run. Porsche doesn't have the time to chase after every person that uses their logo.

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
too bad Porsche didn't do this from the factory (or did they?).
They did. They contracted Foha to make a lip, very similar. Slightly shallower.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Hmm, maybe it's possible to email one or two of the officers of the region that put on the event, one of them is bound to be able to recognize the car because it's got to be fairly local.
Lake Mills C&C is a big event, draws from all over but mostly Milwaukee & Madison. The person who saw the car & took the photos is a former officer with the Milwaukee PCA and very active in that region - first time seeing this car.

I'm hoping to make the last event in October. I'll ask around if this car isn't there.

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
They did. They contracted Foha to make a lip, very similar. Slightly shallower.
Is that the one shown in the Tequipment catalog back in the day? That was my first thought when I saw this one but not quite the same as the Foha unit:

Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

That looks custom. There are only two I know of that are similar, the original Foha or the Foha replica made by Club Auto Sport UK
Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM
zellms
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's my car, and yes it's a custom I made. I had already added a rear valance and side skirts from a turbo and it needed something on the front to finish it. I couldn't find anything I liked so I dove into it. It's fiberglass with a foam core and painted with truck bed liner. I had to extend it back to the radiator to make some fabricated brackets to work. I also built brackets for the corners. I've had it on there for over 5 years (can't quite remember), and it's held up great. I even bounced it off the concrete a couple times with no damage.
The script was tricky. I made a template to draw it on and then free handed the routing.
I'm very happy with how it turned out, and appreciate all the positive comments from you guys.
I'm about 80 miles from Lake Mills and try to attend their Cars and Coffee when I can, great show!
Hacker- Pschorr, I'll try to get to the Oct. one and maybe we can talk about it more it you'd like.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:28 PM
zellms
3rd Gear

By the way, the tow hook is functional. I fabricated it too and extended it back far enough to incorporate it into the frame. A little heavier than I wanted, but if I ever need it I'm sure I'll be glad I have it.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:27 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

zellms:

What a great job you did incorporating an authentic design cue to that valance, to render it so Porsche 'pure' in appearance.

Beautiful; simply beautiful.

Care to produce a few of these ? If so, move my name close to the top of that list ....

AND ~~~

Were you by chance at the Vintage Race weekend @ Road America last weekend ? I saw a number of Guards Red 944s, some at a long distance away and moving more so .... maybe one was yours ?

And if there, did you see this rare Rothmans 951 ?

.... off the chart exquisite !!!
Old 09-24-2017, 12:40 PM
zellms
3rd Gear

Thanks MGJ, unexpected praise from a purist as yourself. I usually make the vintage weekend, but wasn't able to get there this year, sorry I missed the Rothmans. Hopefully we can cross paths sometime in the future. I don't post much, but have followed yours both here and on 944online for the better part of 10 years. I always pay attention to what you have to contribute. Thanks!
I really don't have any interest in producing more of these. I tend to have a rule in my shop (now that I'm retired), that I don't make more than one of anything. It starts feeling like a job at that point and I'm not in that market.
I am more than happy to advise anyone who wants to produce something similar though.

Quick Reply: Anyone recognize this front splitter? Spotted at Lake Mills, WI Cars & Coffee