Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Bushings?

Old 09-15-2017, 06:45 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solid Bushings?

Hey all,

About a year and a half or so ago I took the plunge & rebuilt the entire suspension on my S2 with one of the Racer's Edge delrin/polygraphite bushing kits. Forget what it was called. Anyways, it's been squeaking pretty bad from the rear for quite a while now and it's starting to drive me crazy. I'm fairly certain it's the lower spring plate bushing but I'm not 100% sure (I circled it in the picture).

I've been considering just making the jump to metal bushings throughout, both for performance and lack of maintenance. I'm getting more and more serious about autocross and while it's my only vehicle, it only really sees 1-2 road trips a year to see family and the odd weekend jaunt up the coast in the morning with some other sports car buddies, some errands around town once in a while etc.

Are they really much of a jump from delrin bushings in terms of ride, noise? I just worry about tearing apart the rear of the car again and miss fixing the squeak, just to do it all over again and waste more time. Slippery slope to Hoosiers, no back seat and a cage..
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2017, 07:04 PM
FHMotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you replace the spring plate bushings with delrin ones?

The bushing that you have in the picture will affect minimally the performance of your vehicle and it doesn't really make any noise if it fails.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:18 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by FHMotorsport
Did you replace the spring plate bushings with delrin ones?

The bushing that you have in the picture will affect minimally the performance of your vehicle and it doesn't really make any noise if it fails.
I did. That's probably what it is. I just thought that the lower bushings were squeaking because I had a bit of a hard time getting it to fit back into the car when I was putting it all back together.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:33 PM
FHMotorsport
Former Vendor

I recommend replacing the Delrin spring plate bushings with the Poly-Bronze bushings made by Elephant Racing. I had the Delrin bushings for years on my track car and they were noisy and started to bind. Then, I installed the Poly-Bronze bushings and the difference is significantly noticeable. The noise disappeared and the motion of the trailing arms is smooth within the whole range without any binding.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:20 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
I did. That's probably what it is. I just thought that the lower bushings were squeaking because I had a bit of a hard time getting it to fit back into the car when I was putting it all back together.
Absolutely concur with Dimi's post -

I recommend replacing the Delrin spring plate bushings with the Poly-Bronze bushings made by Elephant Racing. I had the Delrin bushings for years on my track car and they were noisy and started to bind. Then, I installed the Poly-Bronze bushings and the difference is significantly noticeable. The noise disappeared and the motion of the trailing arms is smooth within the whole range without any binding.
For my money, the Elephant polybronze may be the best bang for the buck improvement on a 944.

If you are doing sphericals anywhere and drive on the street, make sure to get weather sealed type.

T
Old 09-15-2017, 10:29 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

There is, or was, a teflon-based lube Automotion sold that was very helpful in curing squeaks from plastic (Delrin, etc.) bushings. This grease or this one might do the trick.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:45 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
There is, or was, a teflon-based lube Automotion sold that was very helpful in curing squeaks from plastic (Delrin, etc.) bushings. This grease or this one might do the trick.
I have used the grease in your first link. Works great until you drive it once in the rain. It's on my list to rip out those Delrin bushings and go back to rubber. I may use Elephants rubber ones since I don't track the car anymore.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:08 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

If you switch to the solid mono-ball type bushings, your car is going to ride worse, be noisy as hell and every little crack in the road will be felt and heard through the whole car. My 968 had these bushings on it when I bought it and while it handled great, its awful on the street. I drove the car across country and can't wait to pull it apart and put the stock bushings in. Once I pull them all out and replace them with new stock bushings, you can buy my old one if you want.... Also have front and rear coilovers
Old 09-16-2017, 07:39 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 400hp944
If you switch to the solid mono-ball type bushings, your car is going to ride worse, be noisy as hell and every little crack in the road will be felt and heard through the whole car. My 968 had these bushings on it when I bought it and while it handled great, its awful on the street. I drove the car across country and can't wait to pull it apart and put the stock bushings in. Once I pull them all out and replace them with new stock bushings, you can buy my old one if you want.... Also have front and rear coilovers
PM me what will be available out of the solid bushings
Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odonnell
PM me what will be available out of the solid bushings
Will do. It's going to be a while. I'm installing a lift in the next week or so. After that I plan to tear into it.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 PM
FHMotorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 400hp944
.... Also have front and rear coilovers
I might be interested in this coilovers depending what brand/model they are. Shoot me a PM with more information please.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

I might be interested in this coilovers depending what brand/model they are. Shoot me a PM with more information please.
Will do. As I mentioned above, it may be a while.... I have a couple of races coming up quick and my lift is getting installed next week, so the race car gets the attention first. I should have it tore down sometime in October.

NOTE: If I don't remember to get back to you guys, please PM me. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2017, 03:52 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
I have used the grease in your first link. Works great until you drive it once in the rain.
+1, I greased everything with a similar lube & car was great when I first put it all back together..
Old 09-23-2017, 04:06 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Sounds like it'd do the trick. I've been wanting to do those for a while now anyways. My plan was Polybronze bushings and monoballs everywhere else but that's pretty extreme. I'll just do the Poly-bronze bushings and go from there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solid Bushings?